New cyclist - ready to ride!

mistertrustee

Feb 8, 2010
Hello - newbie here. I have been riding a mountain bike for about 6 years, and am ready to switch over to a road bike. I have looked at Giant and Trek brands. What I am interested in is a bike that will last me (without needing upgrades) for 6 years or so. What should I be looking for, and what price range should I be expecting to find?

I am a 5 foot tall woman, but I have fairly long legs for my height. I was on an XS frame, with a 50 cm something or other. One salesman told me I may not need XS, and that I could even look at a man's bike.

Most of what I found yesterday was between $1200 and $1500, not including pedals. Reasonable?

Also, I am planning to do a 45 mile bike ride in a few weeks, and have been riding inside on a stationary bike to help train due to a lot of rain lately. I am getting 50 miles in at least two to three times a week, but I realize a stationary bike does not have the feel of the road, or the wind resistance. Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare? (Other than getting on the road?;))

Thanks!

Just bought my first road bike last week--though I don't have your MTB experience. My previous bike was a hybrid, which I owned for about a year.

I'm not personally familiar with Giant's current offerings, but I'd think you would be fine with the offerings from any of the big name manufacturers.

From the price range you cited, it sounds like you were looking at the mid-upper end import Aluminum offerings, at least from Trek. All of these bikes will have fairly nice component sets, are well-built aluminum frames in a wide range of sizes. For Trek anyways, at those price points you're looking at some nice upgrades--more than likely a carbon fork and seat post, upgraded components (probably Shimano 105 either complete or with some components a step up or below), etc.. IIRC, between $1K and $1.5K in the Trek line, you're getting a 10-speed set up--below $1K I think most of the offerings are 9-speed. You'll also have a choice of compact or triple cranks.

From our own buying experience, I know Trek offers their models in a WSD version (Women's Specific Design), which is intended to better balance a woman's riding position on the bike. My wife loves her WSD hybrid from Trek, but I'm guessing Giant and others probably also offer similar variations to their model line.

Happy hunting!

Bill

welcome to the forum. I would look at the Giant avail 1 it is also build for a woman but at a better price point. Giant usually gives you better components than other bike manufactures for the price. You should get shimano 105 10sp that way when you're ready to upgrade you can most of the bikes in that price range will include 105 group. Test ride everything and buy what feel right.

A trainer is better than sitting on the couch , much better, but it is very difficult to improve your climbing skills on a trainer compared to the road. That being said I do not know what type of terrain you are going to ride.
If you are in a hilly area I would advise increasing the resistance in intervals on the trainer to try and simulate climbing as much as possible.
If you are riding a group ride I would advise trying to find at least one person that rides at your level so you can share the load.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really liked the feel of the Trek, but the Giant was a much better price point. Will have to go back with riding clothes on and test them out before making my choice! Thanks again - felt very welcomed by all!

mistertrustee said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really liked the feel of the Trek, but the Giant was a much better price point. Will have to go back with riding clothes on and test them out before making my choice! Thanks again - felt very welcomed by all!

That's a really good point--I did my early fittings with the only pair of bike shorts I had, some mountain-style (loose leg) shorts with a very heavy pad. But never having had clipless pedals, I didn't have any shoes, so I just wore my sneakers.

When I went back to actually have the bike set up and more finely tuned, they had my shoes ready with the pedals and I had a better pair of shorts--most notably a thinner pad.

I was amazed at the difference in feel between the shoes and shorts.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice in a bike--if one is a bit more expensive than the other and you like it, see if the shop guy might work with you a bit--even if he/she doesn't have enough room to move on the bike, maybe they can cut you a deal on accessories.

Good luck--looking forward to seeing pics of your new bike!
Bill

mistertrustee said:

Ultimately, buy the one you like. You'll feel better every time you climb onto it.