New Cyclist With Questions About Trailer Hitch Racks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tennjed, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Tennjed

Tennjed New Member

Ok so I am a new rider who doesnt really know anything about anything. I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota. It has what seems to be a plastic bumper (but feels solid. I have stood on it many times). It has a round hole which I assume is for a ball for a hitch. Here is a pic

[​IMG]

Can I buy a mount and a rack like these

[​IMG]

Draw-Tite Ball Mounts - DT40566
    Towing starter kit includes 9" long, powder coated ball mount; 2" diameter, chrome-plated, pre-torqued hitch ball; and pin and clip. Slides into 2" square trailer hitches.
    Features:
    Starter kit has everything you need to tow, minus the hitch
    Ball mount provides drop or rise to fit your application
    Specs:
    Application: 2" x 2" trailer hitch receiver
    Gross towing weight: 6,000 lbs
    Tongue weight: 600 lbs
    Ball mount length: 9" from center of hitch pin hole to center of ball hole
    Rise: 2-3/4" from top of inside of hitch opening
    Drop: 4" from top of inside of hitch opening
    Ball size: 2"
    Shank diameter: 1"
    Limited lifetime warranty

[​IMG]

Rola TX-103 3-Bike Rack for 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches - Tilting

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Look at this quote from the text about the trailer hitch: "slides into 2" square trailer hitches."
    Your car haven't got a 2" square trailer hitch, it has a vertically aligned circular hole.
    In a bumber which MIGHT, or might NOT, be strong enough to mount things to.
    First, check in the manual for the car what the load restrictions for the bumper mount is. If that is OK, start looking for only the ball part for a trailer to bolt onto your bumper. Then you can clamp the trailer hitch carrier of your choice to that ball hitch.

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

OP, you will have to have a Reese Hitch style receiver mounted to your truck. There are various types that usually mount to the vehicle's frame rails, but there are types (lighter duty, less towing capability) that bolt to 'some' types of step bumpers. Theses cost between $20 and $75.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hitch+receiver+bolt+to+bumper&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS457US457&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=eUosVYaZOYGkNoy-hOgP&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=739

You would have to drill mounting holes in your bumper unless it is equipped with tapped holes on the underside.

Frankly, A frame-mounted receiver type hitch isn't much more money and is a lot more useful.

4. sylvia_louise

sylvia_louise New Member

Well, good luck. Lucky you came here first to ask and get a heads up on the situation. First time we looked into hooking up a hitch, turned in a great big mess, something I though would be so easy, was not! Ended up towing the bike from one end of the country to the next on some cheap contraction that hooked up inside the trunk. Lots of pit stops to make sure it stayed secure. My daughter junked it upon arrival of our destination.