New DA shifter NO click!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
    shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14 cog
    I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to know
    when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the indexing
    be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way. Could their
    be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise. Really just need to
    know if this shifter is already defective.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. texbaz-<< When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14 cog I don't get a click like I do on
    all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a

    Take the little cover off, make sure the shifter is shifted all the way to the 'small cog' and
    ensure the cable end is in the little recess.

    Also when adjusting the rder-make sure the cable is on the small cog before you attach the cable to
    start a rder adjust.

    << Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.

    may try the shimano fix number WD-40-flush the thing well...

    << Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.

    Wouldn't be the first...

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
    > shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
    > cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
    > know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
    > indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
    > Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
    > Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.
    >
    > Thanks

    I got a D/A shifter with the same problem. Sent it back to Shimano, they sent me a new one. From
    what I can gather, its a somewhat common problem with those shifters. Try your LBS (or where you
    bought the shifters) and see if they won't trade you one for one, or worst case, send the shifters
    back to Shimano for you.

    Mike

  4. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Lilga.4268$w%[email protected]>...
    > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
    > > shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
    > > cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
    > > know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
    > > indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
    > > Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
    > > Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > I got a D/A shifter with the same problem. Sent it back to Shimano, they sent me a new one. From
    > what I can gather, its a somewhat common problem with those shifters. Try your LBS (or where you
    > bought the shifters) and see if they won't trade you one for one, or worst case, send the shifters
    > back to Shimano for you.

    Your new shifter is probably loaded with grease. If it shifts fine, consider it a quality feature.
    Why would anyone thinks "silent" is defective? If you want noise (in shifting and drivetrain), you
    got the wrong brand.

  5. Well, I checked the install as recommended, No problems just a defective component...It's not that I
    need noise as stated before I just want it to be the way it's suppose to be, I paid for that Click!.
    Anyway I'm sending them back and I'll reinstall the removed Ultegra 6510 maybe I'll try to upgrade
    another day. Thanks "Richard Chan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<Lilga.4268$w%[email protected]>...
    > > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
    > > > shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the
    > > > 14 cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a
    > > > click to know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious?
    > > > Could the indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest
    > > > of the way. Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very
    > > > muted noise. Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > >
    > > I got a D/A shifter with the same problem. Sent it back to Shimano,
    they
    > > sent me a new one. From what I can gather, its a somewhat common
    problem
    > > with those shifters. Try your LBS (or where you bought the shifters)
    and
    > > see if they won't trade you one for one, or worst case, send the
    shifters
    > > back to Shimano for you.
    >
    > Your new shifter is probably loaded with grease. If it shifts fine, consider it a quality feature.
    > Why would anyone thinks "silent" is defective? If you want noise (in shifting and drivetrain), you
    > got the wrong brand.

  6. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
    > shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
    > cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
    > know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
    > indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
    > Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
    > Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.

    Remove the gear cable from the right shifter. Now see how many clicks you get. (You should hear 8
    clicks.) I always do this before even mounting the lever.

    If you don't get 8 clicks under these conditions, the shifter is NG.

    Art Harris

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Mike wrote:
    > > I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
    > > shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
    > > cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
    > > know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
    > > indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
    > > Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
    > > Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.

    "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Remove the gear cable from the right shifter. Now see how many clicks you get. (You should hear 8
    > clicks.) I always do this before even mounting the lever.
    >
    > If you don't get 8 clicks under these conditions, the shifter is NG.

    I have had distinctly unpleasant experiences after "dry firing" an STi lever without a gear wire in
    it. Simply slacking the wire at the anchor bolt or dropping the casing from a stop will give the
    effect you need without risking the shift mechanism convoluting itself.