New DA shifter NO click!

Mike

Guest
I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14 cog
I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to know
when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the indexing
be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way. Could their
be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise. Really just need to
know if this shifter is already defective.

Thanks

texbaz-<< When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14 cog I don't get a click like I do on
all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a

Take the little cover off, make sure the shifter is shifted all the way to the 'small cog' and
ensure the cable end is in the little recess.

Also when adjusting the rder-make sure the cable is on the small cog before you attach the cable to
start a rder adjust.

<< Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.

may try the shimano fix number WD-40-flush the thing well...

<< Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.

Wouldn't be the first...

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
> shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
> cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
> know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
> indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
> Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
> Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.
>
> Thanks

I got a D/A shifter with the same problem. Sent it back to Shimano, they sent me a new one. From
what I can gather, its a somewhat common problem with those shifters. Try your LBS (or where you
bought the shifters) and see if they won't trade you one for one, or worst case, send the shifters
back to Shimano for you.

Mike

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<Lilga.4268$w%4.2309@fed1read02>...
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
> > shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
> > cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
> > know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
> > indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
> > Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
> > Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I got a D/A shifter with the same problem. Sent it back to Shimano, they sent me a new one. From
> what I can gather, its a somewhat common problem with those shifters. Try your LBS (or where you
> bought the shifters) and see if they won't trade you one for one, or worst case, send the shifters
> back to Shimano for you.

Your new shifter is probably loaded with grease. If it shifts fine, consider it a quality feature.
Why would anyone thinks "silent" is defective? If you want noise (in shifting and drivetrain), you
got the wrong brand.

Well, I checked the install as recommended, No problems just a defective component...It's not that I
need noise as stated before I just want it to be the way it's suppose to be, I paid for that Click!.
Anyway I'm sending them back and I'll reinstall the removed Ultegra 6510 maybe I'll try to upgrade
news:[email protected]...

Mike wrote:
> I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
> shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
> cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
> know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
> indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
> Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
> Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.

Remove the gear cable from the right shifter. Now see how many clicks you get. (You should hear 8
clicks.) I always do this before even mounting the lever.

If you don't get 8 clicks under these conditions, the shifter is NG.

Art Harris

> Mike wrote:
> > I bought a new set of DA shifters ST-7700C (double), upgraded from my Ulterga 6510. Installed
> > shifters no problem just one strange thing. When I shift the right shifter from the 13 to the 14
> > cog I don't get a click like I do on all my my other shifts. Not that I have to have a click to
> > know when I have shifted but is this an indicater of something already broke curious? Could the
> > indexing be off? I get the Click on the 12-13, no 13-14, then I get Clicks the rest of the way.
> > Could their be some grease in the mechanism that makes the click causing a very muted noise.
> > Really just need to know if this shifter is already defective.

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Remove the gear cable from the right shifter. Now see how many clicks you get. (You should hear 8
> clicks.) I always do this before even mounting the lever.
>
> If you don't get 8 clicks under these conditions, the shifter is NG.

I have had distinctly unpleasant experiences after "dry firing" an STi lever without a gear wire in
it. Simply slacking the wire at the anchor bolt or dropping the casing from a stop will give the
effect you need without risking the shift mechanism convoluting itself.