New Dura Ace 10 speed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kolesen, Mar 20, 2004.

1. kolesen

kolesen New Member

I just recently had my Trek upgraded from Dura Ace 7700 to the new Dura Ace 10s and after the first 4 outings on it I have noticed that the Dura Ace 10s seems quite noisy when in the gear combinations 39x21-24-27. And it is definitely not because the front derailleur is touching the chain, although a similar sound, but appearantly more so that the sideways stress/offset between the chain, chainring (on 39) and cassette has become more important with 10s.

It is something I never noticed on Dura Ace 7700 with the same combinations. Maybe it is just because I need to run it in (a bit more)?

Have any you noticed anything similar ?

For the rest I have only praise left for the new group :)

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Check you chainline per:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/clg2.shtml
    The 10 speed cassette is nearly the same width as a 9 speed.
    Are you using the DURA ACE 10 speed chain?
    How does your new crank sit in relation to the seat tube (esp. compared to the 9 speed crank)?

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

What is the point? There is no way to change or adjust it is there? All current campy and shimano cranks are specd as having 43.5mm chainline and that is what you are stuck with given the available BB selection. Although one could stick in a longer xtr octalink, or use a BB shim.Don't think there are any options with the new DA 10 setup.

4. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Point taken.
    However, from where I sit, I can't see that 43.5 mm is where it is.
    If things are installed correctly and it measures 43.5 mm you are correct.
    However, does it hurt to take the measurement and be sure?

5. pudster

pudster New Member

Maybe you should check the alignment of the frame. If the alignment of the frame is out the chainline can still be good. I would not think like bourdreaux said that the chainline is off, Hope this helps you out.

6. kolesen

kolesen New Member

Yes I am using the new 10s chain.

Concerning your last question I can tell you that a sort of spacer had to be added between the frame and the crank, when fitting it. This was also the case when fitting the 10s cassette to the freehub, so I suppose the difference is the same!

7. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

I don't experience any of those problems you mentioned on my Trek 5500.

So far it's nothing but wonderful. :)

8. temoore

temoore New Member

It can be adjusted, sort of. Most LBS carry 1 mm spacers that can be added (typically 1-3, depending on need) between the bb and frame on the drive side. There have been posts about allowing the Giant TCR composite (they have a somewhat short chainstay) to have access to more gears by adding 3mm of spacers.

9. pudster

pudster New Member

You do not use any spacers with the durace 10 spd. Spacers are used on the xtr crank but not the durace crank (04). If you put a spacer on then you do not have enough splines for the non drive crankarm to put it on correctly. Like boudreaux said the chainline is 43.5 mm. Putting a spacer on the driveside bearing moves the crank out farther from the center of the bike and causing noise in the lower gears. Take the spacer out. If your chainring hits the chainstay you have a mis-aligned frame or chainstays are set too wide and you will have to dimple the chainstay if it is AL, Steel or Ti.

10. pudster

pudster New Member

Oh I forgot to tell you, The spacer that they put on the rear hub was for non-durace hubs. The spacer is not to be used on durace 10spd hubs only on nine spd hubs. Sounds kind of wierd but that is how it is to be used. If they put the spacer on durace 10spd hubs it has to be taken out. Hope this helps you out.

11. kolesen

kolesen New Member

Thanks a lot for your help. I can add that the mechanic said that the spacer had to be added to the crank because the frame is carbon (Trek 5200)..... At least that is what I am quite sure he said in french ;)

The spacer on the freehub had to be added as the wheel make is not Shimano.

12. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

That really is not a spacer on the Trek. More like a very thin washer to protect the BB.

13. Madone

Madone New Member

I'm running DA 10spd on a Trek Madone 5.9, and having no noise issues at all using a 12-27 cassette, my LBS have not fitted the Trek steel frame protector between frame and BB shell, on the grounds that a correctly set up bike and grupo don't need it, i can vouche for this having run a Trek 5500 with 9spd DA for over 3 yrs totally trouble free.

14. doc47

doc47 New Member

15. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I've found in general that the DA10 is a touch less silent than previous incarnations -- it's super smooth and works great, but seems to whisper a bit as the chain rides the cog teeth. I've just assumed it's a function of the narrower chain and new cog spacing.

One concern: anyone noticed the trims on the front der to be a bit much? I feel like I can't pop easily enough into the smaller ring without jumping through a sequence of trim positions. Could just be an adjustment issue -- anyone dealt with a similar quirk with their DA10?

Didn't bother me too much until I had a really gruesome chain mishap this morning. I was turning into the base of a steep climb and shifted rapidly down; the chain slipped down off onto the BB and got wrapped up over the top of the front der in a way I've never seen before. It took me a good while to get it back seated properly -- luckily, everything seems in order, but it's clear that something isn't properly dialed.

Seems a bit... finnicky. I'm sure I'll get it properly adjusted in no time; I'm just a little caught off guard in the meantime. The whole thing was setup by an excellent mechanic just a week ago, and aside from the dump-trim quirkiness in the left hand, has been pretty well-behaved.

16. Giro777

Giro777 New Member

I just purchased 10 speed Dura Ace. I love the group. but have I have one question regarding Bottom Bracket Drag. Has anyone else experienced that a newly installed crankset has a bit of drag as compared to the 9 speed version. In short without the chain on the crankset the crank with only spin 1 or 2 revolutions before stopping.

According to the builder of the bike it is normal and it should wear in and exhibit more play as its ridden. Any comments would be appreciated
    thanks,
    Gary

17. HandyAndy

HandyAndy New Member

Hey Lokstah I had the same problem, except it happened twice on one ride and unfortunately the chain got caught by that plastic link that you put in and bent the plate of the chain just enough to cause me hassles.I then had an accident with a car the next day so I'm waiting for the bike to be fixed but I'm going to put a wipperman chain on instead(also for convenience)