New fashion - curved top tube.

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
I have noticed there seems to be a new trend on a lot of new bikes - the curved top tube - Specialized, Bianchi, MBK? and a few others I have seen here and there.

Why is this? what are the benefits?

Actually I think it looks pretty cool - but why?

Actually I think it looks pretty cool - but why?[/QUOTE]
I heard that they are better for sprinting, i.e. faster. I also think they are more comfortable to ride because of a more upright position. I could be way off on this but just wanted to chime in and support the cool forum.:)

janiejones said:
I have the opposite reaction. I think they are damned ugly. The purpose is probably just to make the bike look distinct from other manufacturers' bikes.

I like the looks of a more traditional frame triangle. I call the curved tubes punch buggies, but thats just my opinion.

Can you say carbon fiber? Any shape can be made with carbon fiber laminates, and by varying shape, layers and direction of grain different characteristics of stiffness and vibration dampening can be achieved.

Sometimes it is simply to look cool.:(

My Giant OCR C0 carbon frame has only one straight tube- the seat tube. My seat stays, chain stays, down tube and top tube are all curved in at least one plane. No tube is round and all of them both taper and bulge from one end to the other.

Most of this is too subtle for it to be "cool". According to Giant's web site, all of this is the product of years of research into optimizing the desired characteristics of durability, stiffness and comfort.

If a carbon fiber frame has the look of a traditional metal tube diamond frame, (straight un-tapered tubes) then they are not realizing the full potential of the new material.

Some curved top tubes are simply part of a fashionable trend, others are explorations into the uncharted territory of carbon fiber technology, seeking an ever better cycling experience.

Note: I am clearly biased toward Giant CF frames. Your mileage may vary.

Tailwinds.

Hi Janies - congrats on the come from behind win!

My preference is for traditional frames. With these compact frames and curved top tubes there is now way I can fit 2 drink bottles and a frame pump on.

janiejones said:
I have noticed there seems to be a new trend on a lot of new bikes - the curved top tube - Specialized, Bianchi, MBK? and a few others I have seen here and there.

Another major benefit for those bike fitters and their income. With these curved up frames, one can no longer stand over the frame and get a fit. ;)

xxamr_corpxx said:
Hi Janies - congrats on the come from behind win!
I think I only got so many posts on because I had a busy week at work - once it gets busy I find other things to do.