New father workouts...any advice

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mlecho, Apr 2, 2011.

1. mlecho

mlecho New Member

Hey all... We just had our first ( a boy) two weeks ago. He' awesome. All said, now comes the reality of what this will do to my training. Generally, I'd get my rides in around 5 a.m, before work. Weekends were an absolute liberty. Now, all time seems to be disoriented between the little one and the lady. How have most of you managed this? Any tips, advice, thoughts? I am not opposed to pulling out the trainer to keep me close by, but more wanting to know from experience, how all this unfolds! I know eventually I'll ride again...right? I can see my race season may be on pause for a bit. Thanks all.

Tags:

2. smaryka

smaryka Member

Interested to hear what advice you get as we're having our first in 8-9 weeks. Life is about to change forever I think.

Both my husband and I ride and race a lot, though what I can see happening in the future is that we'll have to take turns more riding separately, and weekends spent riding together will become a rare treat rather than the norm. I suspect where training is concerned, it's going to be all about efficiency and time-effective riding rather than volume. For me, that's going to mean the trainer more often than not -- unless I can find a babysitter or trade-off childcare during the week while I'm staying at home with the little one.

One thing I would suggest to you is to make sure you respect your partner's hobbies and divide up your leisure time equally. So if you get to go out on a 2-3 hour ride on Saturday, she gets to do her thing child-free on Sunday for 2-3 hours. The one thing I've heard over and over is that the more you give, the more you get back in return... so although it sounds counterintuitive, making a point of doing your share of the chores at home and looking after the little one means a partner who's happy to reciprocate so you ride more rather than less.

3. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

You had 9 months to prepare for your new training schedule but ...

Newborns sleep a lot. And wives do a lot of work. I would use a trainer while the baby is asleep and the wife is relaxing. If the baby needs attention, get off the trainer and attend to the baby.

At some point the baby would be content to ride in a bike trailer (I don't know what age is appropriate). Take the baby out for rides. Safe places and low speeds only.

You have a wife who is going to be working hard. Help her care for the baby as much as possible. Save the road rides for when you really need to get away from your wife and baby.

4. mlecho

mlecho New Member

indeed....the wife is always on. Perhaps that's one of the most important points - the new balance of family and play, and me being there (or here) to do what-ever i can to ease the load. Anyway, i like the advise about the trainer, as much as i will miss the road. i suppose it will always be there to come back to. We indeed have a trailer too...i also have not a clue when that will be acceptable, but i am not so sure i can see that in use for workouts, unless to climb the local mountain.

smaryka - yeah, trading off....we've discussed this, and we both agree it's important. The more i can do (feed from the pumped milk) the more time the wife gets back, and thus, the more rested she can hopefully be. As of now, it's still early for that...we are only 2 weeks in, so she's mostly on.

Anyway, i'd love to hear more from people in or having passed the uncertainty of time as a new father (or mother, from smaryka's perspective). Eventually, a routine will establish, i would assume