New flatbar road bike - any advice from those in the know?

themeaton

Mar 25, 2007
Hi All,

I recently had my mountain bike stolen (Giant Iguana). I'd had it for around 10 years now, and really only rode it as quick transport - to the shops, to the train station etc.

So i'm in the market for a new bike.

This time around i'm looking at getting flatbar road bike, as it would be a better fit for my cycling activities, i never really go offroad (unless you call the nature stip off-road :p). Also, this time around i want to use it more often for getting fit - and i believe that the road bike will make the long rides a lot more inviting.

I've had a bit of a look around, and the two options i've come accross for entry level FB Road bikes are the Giant CRX4, and Trek 7.2FX.

Is anyone familiar with these bikes, and can offer advice? Are there any alternatives to a quality beginners level bike?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi George,

Yeah, it's a pretty nice bike. I've taken both the CRX and the Trek for a spin, liked the feel of the giant better than the trek, though the gear change seemed smoother on the trek, though they did give it an adjustment just before my test-drive :)

Marcus

Any reason why you're shying away from bikes with drop bars? I'm not sure how long your longer rides will be, but for extended periods on the bike, the conventional wisdom (and my experience) is that drop bars make riding more comfortable.

SEAcarlessTTLE said:
Any reason why you're shying away from bikes with drop bars? I'm not sure how long your longer rides will be, but for extended periods on the bike, the conventional wisdom (and my experience) is that drop bars make riding more comfortable.
I've always been riding mountain bikes - so i'm used to the flat bar configuration. The last time i hopped on a road bike, i found that i had less control over the steering. Mind you, that was a long time ago, but i remember that it was a little unnerving :p

SEAcarlessTTLE said:
Using Giant as a base line example, here in AUS the flat bar crx4 is about $500, the cheapest drop bar, OCR3, is around $900. However I can build up a new Tri/TT bike for about $750. ;)

As mentioned the CRX4 is the best bang for your buck for MSRP AUD$575. It's also in my opinion the fastest in terms of geometry and construction. And it's also in matt black, an ideal commuter. I've ridden one for nearly a year. You would probably want to change the suspension seatpost for something rigid. The FD, RD and hubs are bordering on rubbish, but you can't expect more in this price range. I would not buy anything less expensive as I just don't think they are safe for riding on the road.

I believe the 08 CRX range will be released in June/July so there may be some close out sales soon.

Good Luck.

Hmm.. .This might not be most appropriate place to post about this, but I'm selling my Diamondback Metropolis for $400 here:

I was in the same boat until this weekend. Spent over two months looking at all the different flat bar bikes around. I ended up looking at the Scott Sub 10, but in order to get it to how i liked i had to change all the MTB gearing over for 105 road gearing. Bike shop was willing to do it for no extra cost. However after test riding (before the switch) the sales guy from the bike shop suggested i just try a comparable road bike for '***** and giggles'. Im not much of a road fan but as it is going to be used for a commuter i thought i would try all angles. Anyway after the test rides i walked out of the store with a Trek 1400. Hands down the road bikes are far lighter and faster than any flat bar bike and believe me i tried alot of them. The riding position wasnt all that different, infact i found it more comfortable and natural on the road bike.. Hey i'll never convert to wearing lycra but i was glad i took the road bike for a spin.

Adamola said:
I was in the same boat until this weekend. ... Hands down the road bikes are far lighter and faster than any flat bar bike and believe me i tried alot of them. The riding position wasnt all that different, infact i found it more comfortable and natural on the road bike.. Hey i'll never convert to wearing lycra but i was glad i took the road bike for a spin.
I ride both mountain and road bikes. For riding on roads (as opposed to trails!), including city streets, etc. I strongly believe road bike handlebars are FAR more comfortable than any flat bars I've ever used. First, you can pretty much duplicate the hand position of a flat bar. Second, you have two or three additional positions for change of pace or as conditions warrant. It could be my anatomy, but the hand/arm position of a road bike "on the hoods" is by far the most comfortable position for me. Even with extensions, you can't quite duplicate that on a flat bar bike and won't have access to shifting and braking if you do.