New for me - cycling

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B Parker, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. B Parker

    B Parker Guest

    Hello, everyone!

    I'm looking for a way to get some exercise and enjoy it in the process. Walking it too boring for
    me, and my knees can't take jogging, let alone running, unfortunately. I think I've decided that
    cycling is what I'm looking for. My knowledge on cycling is pretty close to nil, though.

    My wife and I live in the Tulsa, OK area and if I do get a bike it will be mainly for road riding,
    with some _minor_ off-road thrown in. I will not be interested in racing or long ( multi-hour )
    rides, just a few miles here and there to get my heart rate up.

    I've looked at the Trek 7300 ( online ) and the Giant Cypress LX hybrids ( in my LBS ). I think
    these are the styles of bikes I'm looking for. I like the disc brakes and also the Shimano
    Shifters on the LX over the SRAM twist shifters on the DX in theory, although I haven't actually
    ridden the bikes.

    I'd like to hear any suggestions on what Make/Models that would be good for me to examine. If any
    more information is needed from me to help give suggestions, don't hesitate to ask.

    Thanks, -BEP

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Go to Tom's Rivertrail bikes, rent a few, and see what you like!

    --

    alan

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

    "B Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, everyone!
    >
    > I'm looking for a way to get some exercise and enjoy it in the process. Walking it too boring for
    > me, and my knees can't take jogging, let alone running, unfortunately. I think I've decided that
    > cycling is what I'm looking for.

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    You'll get some good information in this group and already the very key piece of advice has been
    passed on to you.....go ride everything you can before you settle on anything. If the bike doesn't
    fit, or you end up not liking it for some reason, it will be a waste of your money and sit in the
    garage. Having said that, I own a Trek 7300 and like it very much. I ride an average of 700 miles a
    month, (about 8000 miles a year) all on the road or paved bike path. I do no offroad riding. The
    7300 has been a very good bike to me and I enjoy riding it. I have had to replace a few parts
    though. Freehub body twice ($30 each time) and now have to replace most of the steering. (headset,
    stem, front fork). The bike is about 14 months old. Some may think thats alot, but look at my miles,
    and know I live in upstate NY and ride outside all winter. Road salt and ANY bike are not the best
    mix. I do beleive I'd have these same repairs on most any bike due to the salt and rain I ride in.
    If you want to know anything about the 7300 please drop me a line. Follow the advice of others
    and test ride everything until you find one you really like. If you're happy with it, you'll
    ride it. Its great exercise....I dropped 20 lbs

    "B Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, everyone!
    >
    > I'm looking for a way to get some exercise and enjoy it in the process. Walking it too boring for
    > me, and my knees can't take jogging, let alone running, unfortunately. I think I've decided that
    > cycling is what I'm looking for. My knowledge on cycling is pretty close to nil, though.
    >
    > My wife and I live in the Tulsa, OK area and if I do get a bike it will be mainly for road riding,
    > with some _minor_ off-road thrown in. I will not
    be
    > interested in racing or long ( multi-hour ) rides, just a few miles here
    and
    > there to get my heart rate up.
    >
    > I've looked at the Trek 7300 ( online ) and the Giant Cypress LX hybrids ( in my LBS ). I think
    > these are the styles of bikes I'm looking for. I
    like
    > the disc brakes and also the Shimano Shifters on the LX over the SRAM
    twist
    > shifters on the DX in theory, although I haven't actually ridden the
    bikes.

    > I'd like to hear any suggestions on what Make/Models that would be good
    for
    > me to examine. If any more information is needed from me to help give suggestions, don't
    > hesitate to ask.
    >
    > Thanks, -BEP

  4. B Parker

    B Parker Guest

    "alan" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Go to Tom's Rivertrail bikes, rent a few, and see what you like!

    Thanks, Alan. I use to live on Riverside and enjoyed blading the trail there a few times ( rented
    blades from there if that's the place on S. Peoria ). I'm now down in BA and work on the east side,
    but can take some time on a weekend to rent one from there to see what I like. Great suggestion.

    Do you have any idea if they have current models, shifter styles, etc? The whole twist-grip thing
    just looks... cheap/chincy to me. I prefer function over gloss and they just seem to be gloss to me.
    Not knowing squat about cycling means I could be 180 degrees off on my assessment, though, so I
    don't want to discount anything just by my uninformed guesswork.

    -BEP

  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I was down there over the weekend. Tom usually has some hybrids, mountain bikes, and a somewhat odd
    looking semi-recumbent from Giant, I think. But give him a call and ask. He's a really helpful guy.