Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New Fork choice for 1997' Voodoo Wanga

Started by Jonathan Curry · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,440 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 April 2003
Last activity
4 April 2003
Original author
Jonathan Curry
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,440
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems this
    was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time has come to
    scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from what I've seen and
    heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel length. They're also
    out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw up my geometry too much,
    it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height
    (assuming the crown doesn't add anything).

    How much of a change in handling should I expect with this? Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire
    with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? 🙂 Does anyone out there have any experience using
    diffent forks on this frame?

    I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
    Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or "freeride"
    types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

    All help, advice, thoughts or insults would be appreciated. I've got to quit pondering this, get off
    by a**, get my bike together, and ride!

    Thanks, Jon

  2. Jonathan Curry said:


    I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems this
    was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time has come
    to scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from what I've
    seen and heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel length.
    They're also out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw up my
    geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4"
    inch added height (assuming the crown doesn't add anything).

    How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?

    Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's not a problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? 🙂

    Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's They were the ones doing the spec'ing, and
    tweaking the designs in pre-production.

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent forks on this frame?

    Yes ...

    Quoted message said:


    I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
    Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or
    "freeride" types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

    See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or Atom Race.

  3. Jonathan Curry said:

    I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with ... Judy [that] has 63mm travel, .... I'm looking for
    something that isn't going to screw up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up
    with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height ....

    How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?

    Okay, here's a question for the group. If you want 63mm of travel, can't you just buy a 80mm fork
    and cut 17mm off the coil springs? Car guys do that to lower the body for the track.....

    'course that won't work for air springs, but they suck anyway. :-)

    Duke

  4. "Karl Frisch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jonathan Curry said:


    I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC.


    I've done

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    some research, and it seems this was the most common


    spec fork for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time


    has come to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy


    has 63mm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    travel, and from what I've seen and heard, the newer


    SID's are the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    only forks still able to adjust to that travel length.


    They're also

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out of my price range. I'm looking for something that


    isn't going to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    screw up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going


    to end up with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height


    (assuming the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    crown doesn't add anything).

    How much of a change in handling should I expect with


    this?

    Quoted message said:


    Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's


    not a problem.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? 🙂

    Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's


    They were the

    Quoted message said:

    ones doing the spec'ing, and tweaking the designs in


    pre-production.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent


    forks on this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    frame?

    Yes ...

    Quoted message said:


    I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250


    at Pricepoint.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Everyone just raves about Marzocchis, but they're so


    dang heavy. And

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    many of those folks are either heavier guys or


    "freeride" types.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

    See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or


    Atom Race.

    Marzocchi forks are actually a little taller for the same amount of travel compared to RS or
    Manitou. However, the Atom Race or regular Z2 is a good choice. They do more with the same amount of
    travel, and like to run with a little bit of sag, so it all evens out. IMO they're better forks than
    RS of that era.

    Matt O.

  5. I can't find the X-fly 80 or Atom Race anywhere anymore... Any experience w/ the Marzocchi Z3 BAM?

    "Karl Frisch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jonathan Curry said:


    I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems
    this was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time
    has come to scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from
    what I've seen and heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel
    length. They're also out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw
    up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx.
    3/4" inch added height (assuming the crown doesn't add anything).

    How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?

    Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's not a problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? 🙂

    Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's They were the ones doing the spec'ing, and
    tweaking the designs in pre-production.

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent forks on this frame?

    Yes ...

    Quoted message said:


    I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
    Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or
    "freeride" types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

    See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or Atom Race.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.