New Fork choice for 1997' Voodoo Wanga



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonathan Curry

Guest
I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems this
was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time has come to
scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from what I've seen and
heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel length. They're also
out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw up my geometry too much,
it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height
(assuming the crown doesn't add anything).

How much of a change in handling should I expect with this? Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire
with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? :) Does anyone out there have any experience using
diffent forks on this frame?

I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or "freeride"
types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

All help, advice, thoughts or insults would be appreciated. I've got to quit pondering this, get off
by a**, get my bike together, and ride!

Thanks, Jon
 
K

Karl Frisch

Guest
Jonathan Curry wrote:
>
> I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems this
> was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time has come
> to scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from what I've
> seen and heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel length.
> They're also out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw up my
> geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4"
> inch added height (assuming the crown doesn't add anything).
>
> How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?

Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's not a problem.

> Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? :)

Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's They were the ones doing the spec'ing, and
tweaking the designs in pre-production.

> Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent forks on this frame?

Yes ...
>
> I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
> Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or
> "freeride" types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or Atom Race.
 
D

Duke Robillard

Guest
Jonathan Curry wrote:

> I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with ... Judy [that] has 63mm travel, .... I'm looking for
> something that isn't going to screw up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up
> with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height ....
>
> How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?

Okay, here's a question for the group. If you want 63mm of travel, can't you just buy a 80mm fork
and cut 17mm off the coil springs? Car guys do that to lower the body for the track.....

'course that won't work for air springs, but they suck anyway. :)

Duke
 
M

Matt O'Toole

Guest
"Karl Frisch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jonathan Curry wrote:
> >
> > I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC.
I've done
> > some research, and it seems this was the most common
spec fork for
> > this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time
has come to
> > scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy
has 63mm
> > travel, and from what I've seen and heard, the newer
SID's are the
> > only forks still able to adjust to that travel length.
They're also
> > out of my price range. I'm looking for something that
isn't going to
> > screw up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going
to end up with
> > 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height
(assuming the
> > crown doesn't add anything).
> >
> > How much of a change in handling should I expect with
this?
>
> Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's
not a problem.
>
> > Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? :)
>
> Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's
They were the
> ones doing the spec'ing, and tweaking the designs in
pre-production.
>
> > Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent
forks on this
> > frame?
>
> Yes ...
> >
> > I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250
at Pricepoint.
> > Everyone just raves about Marzocchis, but they're so
dang heavy. And
> > many of those folks are either heavier guys or
"freeride" types.
> > Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?
>
> See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or
Atom Race.

Marzocchi forks are actually a little taller for the same amount of travel compared to RS or
Manitou. However, the Atom Race or regular Z2 is a good choice. They do more with the same amount of
travel, and like to run with a little bit of sag, so it all evens out. IMO they're better forks than
RS of that era.

Matt O.
 
J

Jonathan E. Cur

Guest
I can't find the X-fly 80 or Atom Race anywhere anymore... Any experience w/ the Marzocchi Z3 BAM?

"Karl Frisch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jonathan Curry wrote:
> >
> > I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems
> > this was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time
> > has come to scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from
> > what I've seen and heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel
> > length. They're also out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw
> > up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx.
> > 3/4" inch added height (assuming the crown doesn't add anything).
> >
> > How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?
>
> Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's not a problem.
>
> > Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? :)
>
> Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's They were the ones doing the spec'ing, and
> tweaking the designs in pre-production.
>
> > Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent forks on this frame?
>
> Yes ...
> >
> > I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
> > Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or
> > "freeride" types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?
>
> See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or Atom Race.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.