New Fork choice for 1997' Voodoo Wanga

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jonathan Curry, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems this
    was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time has come to
    scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from what I've seen and
    heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel length. They're also
    out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw up my geometry too much,
    it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height
    (assuming the crown doesn't add anything).

    How much of a change in handling should I expect with this? Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire
    with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? :) Does anyone out there have any experience using
    diffent forks on this frame?

    I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
    Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or "freeride"
    types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

    All help, advice, thoughts or insults would be appreciated. I've got to quit pondering this, get off
    by a**, get my bike together, and ride!

    Thanks, Jon

    Tags:

  2. Karl Frisch

    Karl Frisch Guest

    Jonathan Curry wrote:

    > I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC. I've done some research, and it seems this
    > was the most common spec fork for this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time has come
    > to scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy has 63mm travel, and from what I've
    > seen and heard, the newer SID's are the only forks still able to adjust to that travel length.
    > They're also out of my price range. I'm looking for something that isn't going to screw up my
    > geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4"
    > inch added height (assuming the crown doesn't add anything).
    >
    > How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?

    Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's not a problem.

    > Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? :)

    Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's They were the ones doing the spec'ing, and
    tweaking the designs in pre-production.

    > Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent forks on this frame?

    Yes ...

    > I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250 at Pricepoint. Everyone just raves about
    > Marzocchis, but they're so dang heavy. And many of those folks are either heavier guys or
    > "freeride" types. Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?

    See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or Atom Race.

  3. Jonathan Curry wrote:

    > I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with ... Judy [that] has 63mm travel, .... I'm looking for
    > something that isn't going to screw up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going to end up
    > with 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height ....
    >
    > How much of a change in handling should I expect with this?

    Okay, here's a question for the group. If you want 63mm of travel, can't you just buy a 80mm fork
    and cut 17mm off the coil springs? Car guys do that to lower the body for the track.....

    'course that won't work for air springs, but they suck anyway. :)

    Duke

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Karl Frisch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jonathan Curry wrote:
    > >
    > > I ride an 18" 1997 Voodoo Wanga with a 1997 RS Judy XC.
    I've done
    > > some research, and it seems this was the most common
    spec fork for
    > > this bike (I built mine from frame only). Now the time
    has come to
    > > scrap the Judy and replace it with a new fork. The Judy
    has 63mm
    > > travel, and from what I've seen and heard, the newer
    SID's are the
    > > only forks still able to adjust to that travel length.
    They're also
    > > out of my price range. I'm looking for something that
    isn't going to
    > > screw up my geometry too much, it seems like I'm going
    to end up with
    > > 80-85mm travel, which is approx. 3/4" inch added height
    (assuming the
    > > crown doesn't add anything).
    > >
    > > How much of a change in handling should I expect with
    this?

    > Not much ... I run an X-fly 80 on a 1997 Bizango ... It's
    not a problem.

    > > Voo-Doo is History, so I can't inquire with them. Anyone have Joe Murray's email??? :)
    >
    > Better off trying to get Roark Shultz's or Eli Secor's
    They were the
    > ones doing the spec'ing, and tweaking the designs in
    pre-production.

    > > Does anyone out there have any experience using diffent
    forks on this
    > > frame?
    >
    > Yes ...
    > >
    > > I've got my eyes on a Marzocchi MX Comp (85mm) for $250
    at Pricepoint.
    > > Everyone just raves about Marzocchis, but they're so
    dang heavy. And
    > > many of those folks are either heavier guys or
    "freeride" types.
    > > Aren't there any 160 lb. XC riders anymore?
    >
    > See if you can lay your hands on an 2001/2002 X-fly 80 or
    Atom Race.

    Marzocchi forks are actually a little taller for the same amount of travel compared to RS or
    Manitou. However, the Atom Race or regular Z2 is a good choice. They do more with the same amount of
    travel, and like to run with a little bit of sag, so it all evens out. IMO they're better forks than
    RS of that era.

    Matt O.

  5. I can't find the X-fly 80 or Atom Race anywhere anymore... Any experience w/ the Marzocchi Z3 BAM?