New fork for Klein with Mission Control

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per LöWdin, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    Hi

    My wife rides a Klein Adroit hardtail 99. She loves the bike but would like change the fork, it is
    an ancient Manitou SX that has seen its best days, for a Marzocchi Marathon S or Fox coil fork, but
    the headset has its own dimensions, not 1.8". Any advice would be appreciated.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My wife rides a Klein Adroit hardtail 99. She loves the bike but would like change the fork, it is
    > an ancient Manitou SX that has seen its best days, for a Marzocchi Marathon S or Fox coil fork,
    > but the headset has its own dimensions, not 1.8". Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Sounds like you are in 1" stem limbo. Welcome to the club.

    A few possibilities:

    1) get an upgrade kit for your SX fork.

    http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/forks/aftspringenglundmanitou.htm

    Alas, this won't work for me, since I have a Comp XC, and if anyone does have the out-of-production
    upgrade kit or springs for this fork for sale, let me know!

    2) buy a current, damped 1" fork. Several low-end fork vendors like RST, Mozo, etc. make perfectly
    reasonable damped forks for bikes with 1" steer tubes. Probably heavier than your old fork, but a
    possible upgrade

    3) fork crown re-engineering?

    I haven't tried this one, but I did idly think about taking a fork with a 1-1/8" steerer and doing
    some transplant work, namely getting the new fork to work with the old steerer. This would require
    some machine shop expertise, especially since most modern forks use press-fit legs, which means
    transplants are not a trivial operation for shade-tree mechanics. There is also the issue of fork
    stanchion diameters to deal with, one way or the other. Maybe the most expensive, but theoretically
    the best option short of buying a new frame. Given the cost of hardtail frames, it might be cheaper
    to buy one with a 1-1/8" headset and move the rest of the components over. Your call.