New forum

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Welcome to the new recumbent forum.

I've moved the newsgroup gateway to this section so you can view and post both locally and to usenet from this one spot.

Any questions or suggestions post here.

Originally posted by steve

I've moved the newsgroup gateway to this section so you can view and post both locally and to usenet from this one spot.

My son is considering an actionbent jetstream or tidalwave with the optional custom rack for loaded touring. Will the rack hold 2 loaded panniers and sleeping stuff strapped on top? Is there room on top of the rack, or does the seat get in the way? BTW, I'm a Ryan LWB rider and can handle the assembly and tinkering problems.

steve said:

I am considering purchasing a recumbent. I would like to purchase something that is fast and reliable. I am from the US and seem to be having a difficult time finding a recumbent that is light, reliable and fun to ride. I typically ride 100 miles a week. Any reccommendations?

Indiana

Hello! This is my first post. I am looking for a recumbent cycling group in the Oklahoma City/Edmond/Moore etc. area. How do I find one? I saw a group about a year ago, but I don't know if they have any public presence, such as a forum or website. Would someone have the info I need, or be able to instruct me on how to find them?
Thank you!
Meggie

Indiana said:
I am considering purchasing a recumbent. I would like to purchase something that is fast and reliable. I am from the US and seem to be having a difficult time finding a recumbent that is light, reliable and fun to ride. I typically ride 100 miles a week. Any reccommendations?

Indiana
I purchased a Vision and would never go back. It is quick and responsive. It will pull a 60 lbs trailer with no problem if you like long trips too.

Indiana said:

Hi,, there are many recum models that are fast and reliable,, rans, tour easy, burley. Go with the one that has the best dealer close to you. Internet sales are ok,,,,,,if you re an inveterate tinkerer,and decent bike mechanic,, but haveing a local dealer cant be beat !!

I've just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees. The right knee is worse than the left. Was riding yesterday for the first time of the season (it's Chicago!). Noticed pain in my knee at the top of the stroke.

Has anyone tried shortening crank arms to reduce knee pain? My seat is as far back as it can go and still reach the pedals on the down stroke.

Any advice warmly appreciated.

Ben
>>Burley Canto>>

Hi Ben,, I can sympathize with you on this, I too have osteo arthritis, and do have some knee pain. You say you have the seat back as far as possible,, that may not be good if you are totally extending your knee joints, I know that mine feel worse at total extension and no one to my knowledge has ever recommended total extension as being good on either an upright or recumbent bike. So if youre at total extension,, shorten that seat up,, so that it is in a position to have your knees just very slightly bent, at the furthest part of your pedal stroke. Also, there are two criteria that some say make for advantages of short cranks,,the first is, to fit inside the fairing of your choice,, the second is to inprove your spin, in other words, make for a faster cadence which some find is better on a recumbent. I know that I have a relatively slow cadence on a recum as compared to an unpright under similar circumstances. Before spending for a new crank,, attend to the previous mentioned things, then maybe you can get your cadence up, which prolly will help with the knee pain. If you are having pain in the front of the knee,, that is reportedly associated directly with too much knee extension. If you do decide to go with a shorter crank for this, would you please post what the results are so I will know how it worked for you ?? Who knows, I may try the same. I actually do have an old kids size 150 mm crank, so I can try it without expense, ha ha. I would ask your doc or physical therapist if they agree with what I have said before making changes at all, since I dont know your particular physical circumstances. Just trying to help everyone enjoy their rides more. Thanks ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// one is to fit the
Ben said:
I've just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees. The right knee is worse than the left. Was riding yesterday for the first time of the season (it's Chicago!). Noticed pain in my knee at the top of the stroke.

Has anyone tried shortening crank arms to reduce knee pain? My seat is as far back as it can go and still reach the pedals on the down stroke.

Any advice warmly appreciated.

Ben
>>Burley Canto>>

I don't have arthritis, but have experienced knee pain while riding with SPD pedals (Gold Rush). I just switch to frog pedals. With 20 degree float the pain disappeared. Did 70 miles on Saturday, 40 on Sunday, and 20 yesterday evening. Even with hills - no pain.

Maybe you should consider the shorter cranks and pedals with plenty of float.:)

tecln said:
Hi Ben,, I can sympathize with you on this, I too have osteo arthritis, and do have some knee pain. You say you have the seat back as far as possible,, that may not be good if you are totally extending your knee joints, I know that mine feel worse at total extension and no one to my knowledge has ever recommended total extension as being good on either an upright or recumbent bike. So if youre at total extension,, shorten that seat up,, so that it is in a position to have your knees just very slightly bent, at the furthest part of your pedal stroke. Also, there are two criteria that some say make for advantages of short cranks,,the first is, to fit inside the fairing of your choice,, the second is to inprove your spin, in other words, make for a faster cadence which some find is better on a recumbent. I know that I have a relatively slow cadence on a recum as compared to an unpright under similar circumstances. Before spending for a new crank,, attend to the previous mentioned things, then maybe you can get your cadence up, which prolly will help with the knee pain. If you are having pain in the front of the knee,, that is reportedly associated directly with too much knee extension. If you do decide to go with a shorter crank for this, would you please post what the results are so I will know how it worked for you ?? Who knows, I may try the same. I actually do have an old kids size 150 mm crank, so I can try it without expense, ha ha. I would ask your doc or physical therapist if they agree with what I have said before making changes at all, since I dont know your particular physical circumstances. Just trying to help everyone enjoy their rides more. Thanks ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// one is to fit the

Hi, Thanks for your response, I will definitely try the short crank first, to see if that helps, right now I am using flat pedals even though the other sides of them are spuds. I will start shopping for some frogs too, who knows if they have that kind of float, I may just get drawn in there. Thanks again, Regards.

dbwilkinson said:
I don't have arthritis, but have experienced knee pain while riding with SPD pedals (Gold Rush). I just switch to frog pedals. With 20 degree float the pain disappeared. Did 70 miles on Saturday, 40 on Sunday, and 20 yesterday evening. Even with hills - no pain.

Maybe you should consider the shorter cranks and pedals with plenty of float.:)

i have some painful arthitis happening in my hips. i am using LIQUID glucosimine. wonderful wonderful stuff. different kinds are combined with different stuff and everybodys body absorbs differently so some experimentation may be necisary. it does nothing for my spelling however.

I live in central Texas. Have been out of the sport for over 20 years. The recumbent thing has rekindled my interest and I am looking for feedback on these machines.

The local bike shops really trash them, the biggest gripes being about parts availability and the manufacturers reluctance to supply spares.

The closest dealer is in Houston, which sucks for reasons of insane drivers and horrible traffic. I am a very good tinker, so perhaps I can do a lot myself?

At any rate, I road a Strada several years ago in Colorado. Uphill wasn't fun, but then uphill isn't fun anyway. Otherwise I really liked the bike. Am looking at a used one built in 2003.

Does anyone have experience with these bikes in general and this model in particular?

Hi,

There is at least one yahoo group board thats focuses on Bacchettas in general. I am certain there are a number of guys over there that would love to fill you in. In general, Bacchettas are considered quite good, if the bike fits you well, and it would work for your kind of riding, and the price is fair, go for it. The fact that you are a tinkerer will work to your advantage even though, the B bikes, are quite reliable. My local dealer has sold many of them, and they have very little trouble with the bikes. Have fun.

Hull 697 said:
I live in central Texas. Have been out of the sport for over 20 years. The recumbent thing has rekindled my interest and I am looking for feedback on these machines.

The local bike shops really trash them, the biggest gripes being about parts availability and the manufacturers reluctance to supply spares.

The closest dealer is in Houston, which sucks for reasons of insane drivers and horrible traffic. I am a very good tinker, so perhaps I can do a lot myself?

At any rate, I road a Strada several years ago in Colorado. Uphill wasn't fun, but then uphill isn't fun anyway. Otherwise I really liked the bike. Am looking at a used one built in 2003.

Does anyone have experience with these bikes in general and this model in particular?

Hi I'm Looking for a Tadpole Trike as I could possibly get down to a recumbent with my Arthritis. I use Cider Vinegar, Honey and Blackstrap Molasses, awaiting results...
Graham

tecln said:
Hi,

There is at least one yahoo group board thats focuses on Bacchettas in general. I am certain there are a number of guys over there that would love to fill you in. In general, Bacchettas are considered quite good, if the bike fits you well, and it would work for your kind of riding, and the price is fair, go for it. The fact that you are a tinkerer will work to your advantage even though, the B bikes, are quite reliable. My local dealer has sold many of them, and they have very little trouble with the bikes. Have fun.

In fact, there's a Bacchetta rider in Houston who is often very helpful in 'bent forums. So I too recommend checking out the yahoo group.

CC,Rider

Greyhound1405 said:
Hi I'm Looking for a Tadpole Trike as I could possibly get down to a recumbent with my Arthritis. I use Cider Vinegar, Honey and Blackstrap Molasses, awaiting results...
Graham
Greyhound, have you looked into the delta trikes. they are the ones with two wheels in the back one in the front and the seat is like 17 to 18 inches off the ground. i have bad knees and i bought one for me and my wife. we ride the sun ez3 ax ... aluminum frame weighs around 47 pounds and it is a solid ride without having to have a crane to lower my big ole butt into a tadpole ground scraper. its fun you ought to check them out.. thanks Peabob.

Indiana said:

Indiana
My personl recommendation is towards the Catrike 700 if you want to ride a Tadpole recumbent (Trike). For 2- wheeled mounts, there are many to check out... a model which has been in production for some time and has the benefits 0f "more normal" gearing is the Rans V-Rex. What type of surfaces do you ride on? What's your situatoin concerning hills and elevation changes? (Thinking about the power train and what gear-inch spread you might want).

Indiana
My son is considering an actionbent jetstream or tidalwave with the optional custom rack for loaded touring. Will the rack hold 2 loaded panniers and sleeping stuff strapped on top? Is there room on top of the rack, or does the seat get in the way? BTW, I'm a Ryan LWB rider and can handle the assembly and tinkering problems.

My son is considering an actionbent jetstream or tidalwave with the optional custom rack for loaded touring. Will the rack hold 2 loaded panniers and sleeping stuff strapped on top? Is there room on top Sarkari Result iTunesNotepad++ of the rack, or does the seat get in the way? BTW, I'm a Ryan LWB rider and can handle the assembly and tinkering problems.