New frame - forks too wide for my hub?

zardoz

Guest
Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
never been used...)

Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
wouldn't ride on it.

The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
physically achieve this.

Suggestions?

Cheers.

in message <[email protected]>,
zardoz ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
> bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
> headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
> never been used...)
>
> Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
> peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
> hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
> just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
> wouldn't ride on it.
>
> The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
> get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
> squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
> structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
> physically achieve this.
>
> Suggestions?

Get a new fork. Carbon forks are not terribly expensive on ebay,
aluminium ones even cheaper.

The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
;; of me, by a 'friend'

zardoz wrote:

> Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
> bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
> headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
> never been used...)
>
> Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
> peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
> hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
> just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
> wouldn't ride on it.
>
> The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
> get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
> squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
> structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
> physically achieve this.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Cheers.

Check the dropouts, they should be 100 mm apart. If it is a steel fork
re-alignment isn't a big deal
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

zardoz wrote:
> Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
> bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
> headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
> never been used...)
>
> Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
> peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
> hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
> just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
> wouldn't ride on it.
>
> The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
> get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
> squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
> structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
> physically achieve this.
>
> Suggestions?

Your hub is bound to be 100mm and the forks are bound to be designed for a
100mm hub. See www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

It doesn't have to be a close fit before the QR is done up. How much play
is there (in mm) and what are the forks made of?

A couple of mm of play with steel forks will be no problem at all, for a
start.

~PB

zardoz wrote:

> Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
> peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
> hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
> just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
> wouldn't ride on it.

Providing the gap is no more than a few mm, just use the QR to clamp it
down on the hub. It'll be fine.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)