"new" frame has arived :-D

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Checked it all over and it looks great. a little bit of dirt and grime, but that can be cleaned off
    anyway (not that it won't come back).

    I attached the wheels, seat (that i just noticed has a big tear in the back), and mounted to old
    rusty beat up goose bar. the fit is quite comfortable. not sure of the frame is longer or shorter (i
    suppose i could measure it), or if it is just the angle change, but it fits better than the goose.

    I think most of the cable housings can be reused if i mix and match them. is there any good/best
    way to clean these out and re-lube them, or just lube the cables and slide them in and let them do
    the cleaning?

    It took me a minute to figure out the cable routing. after i found the cable guide piece under the
    BB it all made sense.

    The cables will need to be replaced though, after the frayed ends were sniped off, they were no
    longer long enough. the front brake cable will be ok though (didn't have to snip it, and it is in
    good condition anyway).

    I even managed to find the lock ring from the original goose BB to hold this BB in position. the
    sealed bb i got for the goose won't fit as a spare. the axle is too short, and the casing is too
    wide. oh well.

    A few more parts and this bike will be trail ready.

    Strangely though, my legs haven't been feeling up to riding lately anyway. not sure if i pulled
    something or what but the upper back muscles act weak. maybe a few days to a week of rest will
    help them.

    I hope my federal tax return check arrives soon as i plan to buy a new Camel-Bak Mule with it.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  2. John G

    John G Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > Checked it all over and it looks great. a little bit of dirt and grime,

    What you wnated it CLEANED too!"!?!?!? <sheeze> Some people have a lot of nerve!

    > I attached the wheels, seat (that i just noticed has a big tear in the back), and mounted to old
    > rusty beat up goose bar. the fit is quite comfortable. not sure of the frame is longer or
    > shorter (i suppose i could measure it), or if it is just the angle change, but it fits better
    > than the goose.

    the ftr was a bit of acompromise for me.. to get the T-T lenght I needed I had to get a S-T that was
    a bit high for me.... whihc compromoised my Stand-over clearence. I think the frme will fit you
    better than it fit me.

    > I think most of the cable housings can be reused if i mix and match them. is there any good/best
    > way to clean these out and re-lube them,

    flush them with white lightening till it runs clean.

    > It took me a minute to figure out the cable routing. after i found the cable guide piece under the
    > BB it all made sense.

    I never was a fan of that type of routing but that is the way it came. an was the defacto standard
    for many years.

    > I hope my federal tax return check arrives soon as i plan to buy a new Camel-Bak Mule with it.

    Wish you said something....... I have several brand-new 'Baks.. (They are a generous sponsor of the
    NH MTB_Patrol ;-0)

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > > Checked it all over and it looks great. a little bit of dirt and grime,
    >

    > What you wnated it CLEANED too!"!?!?!? <sheeze> Some people have a lot of nerve!

    LOL, no, i was just saying it was not a problem. dirt and grime can be cleaned with no trouble.

    > > I attached the wheels, seat (that i just noticed has a big tear in the back), and mounted to old
    > > rusty beat up goose bar. the fit is quite comfortable. not sure of the frame is longer or
    > > shorter (i suppose i could measure it), or if it is just the angle change, but it fits better
    > > than the goose.
    >
    > the ftr was a bit of acompromise for me.. to get the T-T lenght I needed I had to get a S-T that
    > was a bit high for me.... whihc compromoised my Stand-over clearence. I think the frme will fit
    > you better than it fit me.
    >
    > > I think most of the cable housings can be reused if i mix and match them. is there any good/best
    > > way to clean these out and re-lube them,
    >
    > flush them with white lightening till it runs clean.

    Ok, thanks.

    > > It took me a minute to figure out the cable routing. after i found the cable guide piece under
    > > the BB it all made sense.
    >
    > I never was a fan of that type of routing but that is the way it came. an was the defacto standard
    > for many years.
    >

    > > I hope my federal tax return check arrives soon as i plan to buy a new Camel-Bak Mule with it.
    >
    > Wish you said something....... I have several brand-new 'Baks.. (They are a generous sponsor of
    > the NH MTB_Patrol ;-0)

    You have been very generous, i could not with a good conscience ask for a new Camel-Bak on top of
    the great frame. with the tax return plus what i have saved i soul be able to buy a new Bak and the
    little parts and still have a little money left over (plus i started a rainy-day savings that should
    provide a little bit of money if really needed).

    Between you and Gary i have basically received a very good complete bike. really, i could not ask
    for more, well other than a helmet cam setup (just kidding) ;-)

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  4. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    > Between you and Gary i have basically received a very good complete bike. really, i could not ask
    > for more, well other than a helmet cam setup (just kidding) ;-)

    I'm guessing that you should get my box of stuff by the middle of next week. There's new brake
    cables in there so you'll just need to take care of the housings.

    Gary in VA

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]prod.itd.earthlink.net>, [email protected] says...

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Between you and Gary i have basically received a very good complete bike. really, i could not
    > > ask for more, well other than a helmet cam setup (just kidding) ;-)
    >
    > I'm guessing that you should get my box of stuff by the middle of next week. There's new brake
    > cables in there so you'll just need to take care of the housings.
    >
    > Gary in VA

    Ok, thanks.

    I found i can re-use the rear shifter cable for the front, so it looks like for cables i only need
    to buy one for the rear derailer. that and i'll have to get a front rapid-fire shifter to match the
    rear one your sending. (though all i can find online is full sets for about $170)

    So, i have a new 28.6 thomson seatpost i can't use, and a fairly new 118 X 68 shimano sealed BB i
    can't use. Ideally i'd like for the LBS to swap the 28.6 post for a 28.0 post, but i doubt they will
    do that for less than the full cost of a new one. Gary or John, need a post or BB? (maybe if i send
    them both to Pete Fagerlin he'll send me a lipstick cam setup ;-) *wink *wink)

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  6. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    > i'll have to get a front rapid-fire shifter to match the rear one your sending. (though all i can
    > find online is full sets for about $170)

    Where have you been looking for a shifter? You can get a set of shifters on most web retailers for
    $50-$70 (http://www.pricepoint.com/shiftersshimano.html). I asked at my local shop the other day and
    they wanted $15 for just a front shifter. Remember the shifter I am sending is separate from the
    brake lever.

    Gary in VA

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > i'll have to get a front rapid-fire shifter to match the rear one your sending. (though all i
    > > can find online is full sets for about $170)
    >
    > Where have you been looking for a shifter? You can get a set of shifters on most web retailers for
    > $50-$70 (http://www.pricepoint.com/shiftersshimano.html). I asked at my local shop the other day
    > and they wanted $15 for just a front shifter. Remember the shifter I am sending is separate from
    > the brake lever.
    >
    > Gary in VA

    Hmm, guess i was looking at the wrong places. i'll check with my LBS tomorrow and see what they
    have. course they moved to a larger building (formally a VIP, this place is about 15 times larger
    than their old place), so i am guessing their selection may be larger. i haven't yet even been in
    there to investigate. Thanks for the heads up.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  8. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    "Technician"> Hmm, guess i was looking at the wrong places. i'll check with my LBS
    > tomorrow and see what they have. course they moved to a larger building (formally a VIP, this
    > place is about 15 times larger than their old place), so i am guessing their selection may be
    > larger. i haven't yet even been in there to investigate. Thanks for the heads up.

    Just ask for a Deore front shifter. Cheap and they work decent (how often do you shift up front?).

    Gary in VA

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician"> Hmm, guess i was looking at the wrong places. i'll check with my LBS
    > > tomorrow and see what they have. course they moved to a larger building (formally a VIP, this
    > > place is about 15 times larger than their old place), so i am guessing their selection may be
    > > larger. i haven't yet even been in there to investigate. Thanks for the heads up.
    >
    > Just ask for a Deore front shifter. Cheap and they work decent (how often do you shift up front?).
    >
    > Gary in VA

    good point. at most, i may shift the front maybe 4 times in an entire ride.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  10. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:32:20 -0400, John G <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >> I hope my federal tax return check arrives soon as i plan to buy a new Camel-Bak Mule with it.
    >
    >Wish you said something....... I have several brand-new 'Baks.. (They are a generous sponsor of the
    >NH MTB_Patrol ;-0)

    Hm, how much would a CamelBak run a fellow, should he have an interested in acquiring one? :)

    <warms up Paypal account>

    On a completely unrelated note, summer seems to have arrived in a big way, the last few weeks up
    here. Temperatures are on the rise, daylight is here to stay and suddenly everyone has an
    interest in hitting the trails. Feels great to get out and see other people enjoying themselves
    doing the same.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Checked it all over and it looks great. a little bit of dirt and grime, but that can be cleaned
    > off anyway (not that it won't come back).

    Cool - this mean an end to your previously endless whining then? ',:~}~

    > I think most of the cable housings can be reused if i mix and match them. is there any good/best
    > way to clean these out and re-lube them, or just lube the cables and slide them in and let them do
    > the cleaning?

    Like John said, only I tend to use WD40 - spray some in using the red tube, leave it 10 - 20
    minutes, run an old piece of inner with one frayed end through it, (clean end first), then flush
    again with plenty WD-40 until it runs clean. Blow the remainder out and lube as you prefer.

    HTH - works for me!

    Shaun aRe

  12. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:32:20 -0400, John G <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wish you said something....... I have several brand-new 'Baks.. (They are a generous sponsor of the
    >NH MTB_Patrol ;-0)

    O.k. John, I've got to chime in here.

    How much for a M.U.L.E.?

    I need to upgrade to 100 oz soon, 70 just isn't enough for me!

  13. John G

    John G Guest

    So Travis how late were you up last night?

  14. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > So Travis how late were you up last night?

    About 11 PMish, as usual, why?

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  15. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >
    > > "Technician"> Hmm, guess i was looking at the wrong places. i'll check with my LBS
    > > > tomorrow and see what they have. course they moved to a larger building (formally a VIP, this
    > > > place is about 15 times larger than their old place), so i am guessing their selection may be
    > > > larger. i haven't yet even been in there to investigate. Thanks for the heads up.
    > >
    > > Just ask for a Deore front shifter. Cheap and they work decent (how often do you shift up
    > > front?).
    > >
    > > Gary in VA

    Asked, and they will have some in in the middle of next week (just in time for the big build up).

    While there, i picked up a shifter cable for the rear.

    I also had a nice chat with the wrench there about building up the bike. maybe i'll offer him the
    goose frame (nah, i'm not that cruel).

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Between you and Gary i have basically received a very good complete bike. really, i could not
    > > ask for more, well other than a helmet cam setup (just kidding) ;-)
    >
    > I'm guessing that you should get my box of stuff by the middle of next week. There's new brake
    > cables in there so you'll just need to take care of the housings.
    >
    > Gary in VA

    Middle of next week you said, ha, never under estimate the speed of the USPS. it showed up today.

    Actually i was quite surprised to see it sitting there with the mail. i figured at the earliest it
    would be here tuesday, maybe monday. but then, priority mail has a way somehow of finding its way
    onto the last truck of the day that is full and is a block away from the distribution center. Love
    the box, nice play on my emotions (Clyde did that too) ;-)

    Every thing looks great. far better quality than i was expecting (with free, you always wonder).

    No complaints what-so-ever (covers all you and Clyde sent). Now i only have to wait for my LBS to
    get a front shifter in and i'm golden.

    Again i mention, i have a 28.6 X 410 (minus 3") Thomson seat-post, and a 118 X 68 sealed BB if
    either of you want one or both of them.

    ~Travis