New frameset suggestions.

chriskaiser

Dec 5, 2004
Hi I am going to upgrade my frame, the one that I have my eye on is the '04 Look KG 451. For now I will mostly be commuting to and from school, and ride as much as I can during the weekends, so I want something that is relatively comfortable and also quick. I am used to steel, but want to make my bike lighter, and I hear that this frame is quite comfortable as well. I will be swapping all of my parts over from this bike, since I was hit by a car and the frame got wrecked. Just curious if anybody has any comments on the Look frame, or if you have any suggestions on a similar bike in the same price range. If I do decide to buy it, it will be $1100CAD.

Here are the specs

chriskaiser said:
Hi I am going to upgrade my frame, the one that I have my eye on is the '04 Look KG 451. For now I will mostly be commuting to and from school, and ride as much as I can during the weekends, so I want something that is relatively comfortable and also quick. I am used to steel, but want to make my bike lighter, and I hear that this frame is quite comfortable as well. I will be swapping all of my parts over from this bike, since I was hit by a car and the frame got wrecked. Just curious if anybody has any comments on the Look frame, or if you have any suggestions on a similar bike in the same price range. If I do decide to buy it, it will be $1100CAD.

Here are the specs

I suggest you get a frame with a combination of titanium and carbon fiber. If you can't afford that get a frame with alluminum and carbon fiber. And remember there are many different types of alluminum.

Get an Aluminum frame with carbon seatstays and a bladed carbon fork.

To save weight go with a compact frame.

Cyclist14 said:

Sone of the suggestions above are so poor it's hard to imagine you could intentionally give anyone poorer or more misguided advice. Why in the world would anything which this guy mentioned he is looking for in a frame require getting a ti/carbon or aluminum/carbon frame????? None, that's right none!! Get the 451 and do not look back and ignore the silly advice about aluminum with carbon stays or a ti/carbon combo. The carbon on most aluminum frfames does nothing to make it ride smoother and in fact most aluminum/carbon frames weight MORE than comparable aluminum only frames so you certainly are not saving weight by doing this. Ti/carbon hybrid bikes are being made by old school ti builders who neither have the committment nor capability to make full CF frames so they go part way so they can still sell their ti bikes but also get in on the CF ave.

Cyclist14 said:

Some of the suggestions above are so poor it's hard to imagine you could intentionally give anyone poorer or more misguided advice. Why in the world would anything which this guy mentioned he is looking for in a frame require getting a ti/carbon or aluminum/carbon frame????? None, that's right none!! Get the 451 and do not look back and ignore the silly advice about aluminum with carbon stays or a ti/carbon combo. The carbon on most aluminum frfames does nothing to make it ride smoother and in fact most aluminum/carbon frames weight MORE than comparable aluminum only frames so you certainly are not saving weight by doing this. Ti/carbon hybrid bikes are being made by old school ti builders who neither have the committment nor capability to make full CF frames so they go part way so they can still sell their ti bikes but also get in on the CF ave.

FWIW, here's some more misguided advice. A friend of mine just got a new bike and he elected to go with a full ti frame from Excel Sports, the Macalu Professional. This bike is mfgd by American Bicycle Group, the company that makes Merlins, Lightspeeds, QR, et al. The bike itself is basically the 2004 Lightspeed Tuscany geometry. I looked at the welds and they look identical to my Merlin Extralight -- very nice workmanship. I think they sell this 2.8 lb frame for ~$900. I'm sure there are those who swear by CF, and I'm not saying anything negative about CF, but I have no complaints about my Merlin ti frame.