New Frog Cleats

Gary Mishler

Guest
The cleats for Speedplay Frogs that I have seen lately seem to have changed from the previous ones
I've had. Does anyone know if the newer ones are significantly better? Were they changed to solve
some problem I don't know I have?

Thanks, Mish

The 'new' Frog cleats will fit on more shoes without having to carve the shoe lugs to fit the

In article <60Pja.380328$S_4.450940@rwcrnsc53>,
"Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The cleats for Speedplay Frogs that I have seen lately seem to have changed from the previous ones
> I've had. Does anyone know if the newer ones are significantly better? Were they changed to solve
> some problem I don't know I have?
>
> Thanks, Mish

They are called Frog IIs, IIRC.

They ³fit² more shoes w/o having to carve out some of the soles.

They take a little longer to snap into the pedal, but when your in, your in. Apparently the original
cleat gave an impression that you were locked down when you were not.

Never had the above problem.

FWIW

"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> They ³fit² more shoes w/o having to carve out some of the soles.
>
> They take a little longer to snap into the pedal, but when your in, your in. Apparently the
> original cleat gave an impression that you were locked down when you were not.

When I first rode with the new style Frog cleats I thought I was going to damage my knee trying to
force the cleat onto the pedal.

Later at home I discovered a major improvement,in my opinion, in the new cleat. There is a set screw
in the back of the cleat that takes up play when the cleat/pedal clamp ring gets worn. You know you
have this problem when your shoe slips back and forth a little bit as you pedal. This set screw was
set too tight, making it extremely difficult to get the cleat completely on to the pedal lock ring.
I adjusted that and had no further problems.

I have never had a problem with not being locked down on the Frog pedal. Even when there was that
little bit of play with the older cleats I was firmly attached to the pedal. Richard