New front derailleur

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul M, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Paul M

    Paul M Guest

    Could anyone please advise on a new front derailleur to fit my 21 speed Dawes Audax 1997 with
    Shimano STI indexed RSX.

    Crankset is 26/36/46 and I have always had trouble keeping it working perfectly. It has to be set
    just so if I want to be able to get all three chainwheels and it very soon goes out of adjustment
    and then I can only get two of the three cogs. (Usually, the outer two).

    I have noticed that the cage curve doesn't anything like match the perimeter of the 46 tooth wheel
    and it also seems as if the derailleur doesn't have quite enough range of side to side movement so
    won't quite go far enough to the left even with the stop screws removed.

    Any help gratefully received.

    Thanks Paul.

    (Remove junk to reply)

    Tags:

  2. Paul M wrote:
    > Could anyone please advise on a new front derailleur to fit my 21 speed Dawes Audax 1997 with
    > Shimano STI indexed RSX.
    >
    > Crankset is 26/36/46 and I have always had trouble keeping it working perfectly. It has to be set
    > just so if I want to be able to get all three chainwheels and it very soon goes out of adjustment
    > and then I can only get two of the three cogs. (Usually, the outer two).
    >
    > I have noticed that the cage curve doesn't anything like match the perimeter of the 46 tooth wheel
    > and it also seems as if the derailleur doesn't have quite enough range of side to side movement so
    > won't quite go far enough to the left even with the stop screws removed.

    There's only one front derailer that works well with this setup, the actual 1997 RSX. If yours
    doesn't match the curve of the 46 ring, you don't have one of these, probably somebody pulled a
    switcheroo at some time.

    We still have some of these left, see:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front

    Sheldon "One And Only" Brown +-----------------------------------------------+
    | I don't need instructions, I have a hammer. | -- T.W. Wier |
    +-----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. paul-<< Could anyone please advise on a new front derailleur to fit my 21 speed Dawes Audax 1997
    with Shimano STI indexed RSX.

    << Crankset is 26/36/46 and I have always had trouble keeping it working perfectly. It has to be set
    just so if I want to be able to get all three chainwheels and it very soon goes out of adjustment
    and then I can only get two of the three cogs.

    Conventional brake(non sti) lever and a single bar-end shifter-

    A MTB(old style for 46t rings) fder-

  4. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    cant get to granny ring- sounds naff but check cables are okay-or replace them.

    "Paul M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Could anyone please advise on a new front derailleur to fit my 21 speed Dawes Audax 1997 with
    > Shimano STI indexed RSX.
    >
    > Crankset is 26/36/46 and I have always had trouble keeping it working perfectly. It has to be set
    > just so if I want to be able to get all three chainwheels and it very soon goes out of adjustment
    > and then I can only get two of the three cogs. (Usually, the outer two).
    >
    > I have noticed that the cage curve doesn't anything like match the
    perimeter
    > of the 46 tooth wheel and it also seems as if the derailleur doesn't have quite enough range of
    > side to side movement so won't quite go far enough
    > the left even with the stop screws removed.
    >
    > Any help gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks Paul.
    >
    > (Remove junk to reply)

  5. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    Please dont give shit advice to sell your own products.

    > Paul M wrote:

    > We still have some of these left, see:
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front
    >
    > Sheldon "One And Only" Brown +-----------------------------------------------+
    > | I don't need instructions, I have a hammer. | -- T.W. Wier |
    > +-----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    > 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Sheldon Brown writes: [snip]
    > There's only one front derailer that works well with this setup, the actual 1997 RSX. If yours
    > doesn't match the curve of the 46 ring, you don't have one of these, probably somebody pulled a
    > switcheroo at some time.
    >
    > We still have some of these left...

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front

    Sheldon, Sir! You have these?!? Which model is it that works with the compact triple? RSX FD-A410,
    A416 or A417? I think they made an RSX FD-A413, too.

    Please let me know! Nicholas Grieco

  7. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Please dont give shit advice to sell your own products.

    > > We still have some of these left, see:
    > >
    > > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front
    > >
    > > Sheldon "One And Only" Brown

    Interesting that "Openworld" hides in anonymity while Sheldon has made many informative and useful
    postings to help many of us sort various problems, for no charge at all.

    If he were to disappear from this group, it would clearly be to our loss. I certainly don't begrudge
    him offering advice that may result in sales for Harris Cyclery.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  8. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > Please dont give shit advice to sell your own products.

    I have purchased products from Harris Cyclery after reading about them in Sheldon's posts on RBT and
    have been very satisfied at the help and practical advice he has provided, including candid posts
    like "X won't help much and I wouldn't recommend it". You obviously aren't aware of how unbiased he
    has been or what a valuable resource Sheldon has been to so many here.

    Rick

  9. I asserted:

    Nicholas wrote:

    > Sheldon, Sir! You have these?!? Which model is it that works with the compact triple? RSX FD-A410,
    > A416 or A417? I think they made an RSX FD-A413, too.

    I don't remember the Shimano part number, but the one featured at the URL quoted above is the
    one you need.

    Sheldon "See The Site" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Give a man a fire, and he will stay warm for a day. | Set a man on fire, he stays warm for the
    | rest of his life. |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Usually a lurker not a poster but got to jump in here. I'm a novice/beginner and have learned a ton
    from Sheldon's posts. He's been so useful, I actually dropped him a personal note thanking him. So
    what if he says "we have them" He told you what was needed and that they sold them. You can take his
    FREE advice and shop elsewhere if you want. Personally I'm going to shop with people who have helped
    me in some way

    "Java Man (Espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Please dont give shit advice to sell your own products.
    > >
    > I have purchased products from Harris Cyclery after reading about them in Sheldon's posts on RBT
    > and have been very satisfied at the help and practical advice he has provided, including candid
    > posts like "X won't help much and I wouldn't recommend it". You obviously aren't aware of how
    > unbiased he has been or what a valuable resource Sheldon has been to so many here.
    >
    > Rick

  11. Openworld-<< cant get to granny ring- sounds naff but check cables are okay-or replace them.

    Since you give poor advice with even poorer typing and see fit to slam a guy that gives GREAT advice
    on this NG, for FREE, why don't you sit back and listen, ya may learn something...

  12. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    I think it's the A410. Just set one up with a 48t and the curve match is much better with it than
    with the other A4XX that I have. Works great by the way with STI.

    -Bruce-

    "Nicholas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sheldon Brown writes: [snip]
    > > There's only one front derailer that works well with this setup, the actual 1997 RSX. If yours
    > > doesn't match the curve of the 46 ring, you don't have one of these, probably somebody pulled a
    > > switcheroo at some
    time.

    > > We still have some of these left...
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front
    >
    > Sheldon, Sir! You have these?!? Which model is it that works with the compact triple? RSX FD-A410,
    > A416 or A417? I think they made an RSX FD-A413, too.
    >
    > Please let me know! Nicholas Grieco

  13. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    One other thing to check is that the derailleur isn't stopped on the seat tube.

    Sorry Openworld, Sheldon is 100% correct on this one.

    Shimano offered RSX with several unique characteristics, one of which was a road crank with 46T
    large ring. That combined with STI and the funky angled motion of the dedicated RSX front derailleur
    means the only derailleur that will work is the one designed for it, the one Sheldon recommended.

    Peter offered an excellent option, which was to ditch the STI and use an older MTB derailleur.

    "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Please dont give shit advice to sell your own products.
    >
    > "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Paul M wrote:
    >
    > > We still have some of these left, see:
    > >
    > > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front
    > >
    > > Sheldon "One And Only" Brown +-----------------------------------------------+
    > > | I don't need instructions, I have a hammer. | -- T.W. Wier |
    > > +-----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped
    > > Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  14. Paul Moss

    Paul Moss Guest

    > Paul M wrote:
    > > Could anyone please advise on a new front derailleur to fit my 21 speed Dawes Audax 1997 with
    > > Shimano STI indexed RSX.
    > >
    > > Crankset is 26/36/46 and I have always had trouble keeping it working perfectly. It has to be
    > > set just so if I want to be able to get all three
    chainwheels
    > > and it very soon goes out of adjustment and then I can only get two of
    the
    > > three cogs. (Usually, the outer two).
    > >
    > > I have noticed that the cage curve doesn't anything like match the
    perimeter
    > > of the 46 tooth wheel and it also seems as if the derailleur doesn't
    have
    > > quite enough range of side to side movement so won't quite go far enough
    > > the left even with the stop screws removed.
    > >
    > There's only one front derailer that works well with this setup, the actual 1997 RSX. If yours
    > doesn't match the curve of the 46 ring, you don't have one of these, probably somebody pulled a
    > switcheroo at some
    time.

    > We still have some of these left, see:
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front
    >
    > Sheldon "One And Only" Brown +-----------------------------------------------+
    > | I don't need instructions, I have a hammer. | -- T.W. Wier |
    > +-----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    > 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Thanks for that. I note the spring on mine is very weak and I've been having trouble finding one in
    the UK. All I've found so far is for oversize tube which would need shimming. I'll order one
    immediately while they're still available. Paul.

    Paul Moss wrote:

    > Thanks for that. I note the spring on mine is very weak and I've been having trouble finding one
    > in the UK. All I've found so far is for oversize tube which would need shimming. I'll order one
    > immediately while they're still available.

    You probably don't need one.

    I've never heard of a derailer spring "going weak." There's no way the spring could get
    overstressed, so I very much doubt there's anything wrong with the spring.

    If your mech is sluggardly, it's probably a friction issue, either in the cabling or the
    derailer itself.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

    Put a drop of oil on each of the 6 pivot points of the front mech's parallelogram, and on the spring
    coils. Also, make sure that there's some light grease on the cable guide where it runs beneath the
    bottom bracket.

    Sheldon "Money-Grubbing Slimeball" Brown +------------------------------------------------------+
    | One of my very favorite singer/songwriters is the | French folkie Gabriel Yacoub | His discs are
    | hard to find, but worth looking for, | both his solo work and his earlier recordings with | the
    | Breton group Malicorne. | http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
    +------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  16. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote: [snip]

    Bruce Lange wrote:
    > I think it's the A410. Just set one up with a 48t and the curve match is much better with it than
    > with the other A4XX that I have. Works great by the way with STI.

    I just learned that the RSX FD-A410 does NOT work with my setup: a 26-36-48, 9 speed. While the
    curve is a close match to the big ring, there just isn't enough capacity to also accomodate the 26.

    Perhaps my frame geometry is too different from the spec for this FD. Am I correct in speculating
    that seat- tube angle is one of the many factors determining FD capacity?

    Nicholas Grieco