New generation batteryless safety lights

iwico

New Member
Jan 24, 2004
This bicycle safety flashing light system is based on a newly invented electrical generating system, NO battery needed, No friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless the bicycle's speed and weather conditions. Very bright. Standby light.

Details:
http://www.freelights.co.uk

Thanks

"iwico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This bicycle safety flashing light system is based on a newly invented
> electrical generating system, NO battery needed, No friction on any
> parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless the bicycle's speed
> and weather conditions. Very bright. Standby light.
>
> Details:
> http://www.freelights.co.uk

I hate to be critical and I don't mean to discourage you from pursuing new
ideas but here is my 2 cents worth...

Nice idea but the final solution is pretty ugly IMHO.

Diagram shows magnet on the spokes circling the container but in reality
wouldn't it only pass in one direction??

Wouldn't the magnet inside the coil be noisy as it hit the bottom of the
container each time??

Doesn't the magnet inside the coil just stick to the coil??

I think that dynamo hubs are a much simpler and neater solution.

Ride On,

Gags

iwico said:
This bicycle safety flashing light system is based on a newly invented electrical generating system, NO battery needed, No friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless the bicycle's speed and weather conditions. Very bright. Standby light.

Details:
http://www.freelights.co.uk

Thanks

iwico

Good prototype.
Spend some more time developing your product. Listen to the feedback on forums such as this. :)

- This is a reply to a.b. and the original poster -

Gags wrote:

> "iwico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>This bicycle safety flashing light system is based on a newly invented
>>electrical generating system, NO battery needed, No friction on any
>>parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless the bicycle's speed
>>and weather conditions. Very bright. Standby light.
>>
>>Details:
>>http://www.freelights.co.uk

I agree with Gags that this is somewhat "inelegant", both in terms of
the pure physics of the lights and their practical implementation.

Nevertheless (dynamo hubs notwithstanding) using the rotation of bicycle
(hopefully non-ferrous rims, but with maybe stainless steel spokes)
wheels thru physically contactless electromagnetic fields to power
lights is something that has been thought about but generally not really
acted on by bicycle types. (After all, bike computers work by
physically contactless electromagnetic field thingies.)

All power to you. (Pun not intended, but sort of appropriate ;-) !)

I have seen LED flashing rear lights that work off magnets on the rear
wheel. These lights are fitted next to the wheel-mounted magenet they
are energised by. They are mounted 2/3s up on chain-stays, and are thus
occluded by bike frame and wheel from anything other than 90 percent
view on the side they are on, and are moreover underneath the
straight-ahead sight-lines of people driving cars.

Your invention puts battery-less rear bike lights higher up - inelegant
or not, I'll def'nitly buy them when they come on the market.

My problem with your innovation is that rear lights are much less
important than front lights. A cyclist at night with no lights or
reflectors at all will still become visible to a car driver behind them
(unless they are drunk, stupid, or drunk AND stupid - I always assume
both).

The greater danger for a cyclist at night is from people driving cars
*ahead* of the cyclist. Reflectors (including front relectors) or no, a
cyclist is invisible to people driving cars from side-streets, (or, from
front-on, if they are drunk, stupid, or drunk AND stupid, and decide to
drive down the wrong side of the road... well, what can you do?) unless
the cyclist has front lights. And this means front lights that are not
narrowly pointed ahead, but may spread over 180 degrees. (I've sort of
got this, but with a 1 kilogram lead-acid battery, and 3 LED lights).

In short, my opinion about your innovation: sounds great, but get out
the bumps and make it a battery-less, wheel-contactless front light
solution.

> I hate to be critical and I don't mean to discourage you from pursuing new
> ideas but here is my 2 cents worth...
>
> Nice idea but the final solution is pretty ugly IMHO.
>
> Diagram shows magnet on the spokes circling the container but in reality
> wouldn't it only pass in one direction??
>
> Wouldn't the magnet inside the coil be noisy as it hit the bottom of the
> container each time??
>
> Doesn't the magnet inside the coil just stick to the coil??
>
> I think that dynamo hubs are a much simpler and neater solution.
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags

ps: I am always stoopid, and am sometimes drunk;
and thus therefore must be sometimes drunk AND stoopid.
Or something.

***

ppp (fred)