Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New Groupset for 1996ish Trek 5500

Started by astrae · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,350 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 November 2007
Last activity
28 November 2007
Original author
astrae
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,350
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi guys,

    I've got a trek 5500 from about 1996. Its in excellent condition running 8sp Ultegra.

    Since the frame is in such good nick I'm thinking about upgrading the groupset.

    I haven't made my mind up on Shimano or Campag.

    I'm thinking about either 10sp Ultegra as the cheaper option or a Chorus, Centaur Mix. If I go Campag I might as well get some new wheels as my current hubs won't fit the cluster.

    Anyway I'm not wanting to argue which groupset to go for.

    Prices from local shops here are expensive

    Pro bike kit seem to have excellent prices. The thing I'm worried about is ordering the wrong parts.

    Doesn't anyone know of any problems I might run into when putting a new groupset on an order frame?

    Will my trek have an Italian or English threaded bottom bracket? The current one doesn't even look like shimano? Its got KSS written on it which is the only viewable numbers/letters.

    It currently has a braze on front Derailleur. Will the campag "Brz on Combined" derailleur fit. What is compact and double?

    One thing I've noticed with probikekit at the moment is that non of their groupset builders have all the parts. I'd have to mix and match chorus, record etc to get the correct chain and cluster.

    If there are any other issues I might run into I'd really like to know.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. astrae said:

    I've got a trek 5500 from about 1996. Its in excellent condition running 8sp Ultegra.

    Since the frame is in such good nick I'm thinking about upgrading the groupset.

    I haven't made my mind up on Shimano or Campag.

    I'm thinking about either 10sp Ultegra as the cheaper option or a Chorus, Centaur Mix. If I go Campag I might as well get some new wheels as my current hubs won't fit the cluster.

    Anyway I'm not wanting to argue which groupset to go for.

    Prices from local shops here are expensive

    Pro bike kit seem to have excellent prices. The thing I'm worried about is ordering the wrong parts.

    Doesn't anyone know of any problems I might run into when putting a new groupset on an order frame?

    Will my trek have an Italian or English threaded bottom bracket? The current one doesn't even look like shimano? Its got KSS written on it which is the only viewable numbers/letters.

    It currently has a braze on front Derailleur. Will the campag "Brz on Combined" derailleur fit. What is compact and double?

    One thing I've noticed with probikekit at the moment is that non of their groupset builders have all the parts. I'd have to mix and match chorus, record etc to get the correct chain and cluster.

    If there are any other issues I might run into I'd really like to know.

    Actually, if your 8-speed components are working well, why change them?

    Is the change for functionality OR cosmetics?

    If the change is for cosmetic reasons, then YOUR aesthetic sensibilities should be your guide.

    If you want better functionality, then the Campagnolo shifters are simply better in SOME conditions [well, most conditions, IMO -- they just shift better because there isn't any "dwell"/(a slight, built-in delay)].

    If there are budgetary considerations, the LEAST EXPENSIVE change would be new cables/housing, a pair of Campagnolo shifters (which usually come with cables & housing) + a Wheels Manufacturing OR American Classic "conversion" cassette + either a 10-speed Shimano OR current Campagnolo rear derailleur (the newer, 10-speed Shimano rear derailleurs are directly "interchangeable" with the current Campagnolo rear derailleurs by my reckoning) OR use your current rear derailleur with the hubbub.com alternate cable anchoring + a new chain.

    If you choose Campagnolo shifters, you can continue to use your current front derailleur.

    Your TREK uses an English threaded BB.

    SOME (e.g., Dura Ace ... maybe, some others) 8-speed Shimano rear hubs have less left-right offset & MAY need to be re-spaced (i.e., you would move the thin washer on the freehub side to the non-drive side for continuity with OTHER/current Shimano hubs) ...

    SOME earlier 8-speed Shimano rear hubs do not use a lockring, but rather a threaded "last" cog ... those freehub bodies can/should be changed.

    Of course, if you opt for Campagnolo shifters, you can have your old rims relaced to a set of Campagnolo hubs.

    BTW. If 8-cogs in the rear are actually enough, you can just get ANY pair of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters and swap them directly for your existing 8-speed Ultegra shifters without "changing" any other components (except to account for "wear" OR for cosmetic reasons) ...

    BTW2. I think we can anticipate a NEW generation of Dura Ace shifters [improved mechanism (no dwell?) & lighter] with the 2008 TdF ... and, some of the other Shimano shifters (e.g., Ultegra & 105) in 2009.

  3. alfeng said:

    Actually, if your 8-speed components are working well, why change them?

    Is the change for functionality OR cosmetics?

    If the change is for cosmetic reasons, then YOUR aesthetic sensibilities should be your guide.

    If you want better functionality, then the Campagnolo shifters are simply better in SOME conditions [well, most conditions, IMO -- they just shift better because there isn't any "dwell"/(a slight, built-in delay)].

    If there are budgetary considerations, the LEAST EXPENSIVE change would be new cables/housing, a pair of Campagnolo shifters (which usually come with cables & housing) + a Wheels Manufacturing OR American Classic "conversion" cassette + either a 10-speed Shimano OR current Campagnolo rear derailleur (the newer, 10-speed Shimano rear derailleurs are directly "interchangeable" with the current Campagnolo rear derailleurs by my reckoning) OR use your current rear derailleur with the hubbub.com alternate cable anchoring + a new chain.

    If you choose Campagnolo shifters, you can continue to use your current front derailleur.

    Your TREK uses an English threaded BB.

    SOME (e.g., Dura Ace ... maybe, some others) 8-speed Shimano rear hubs have less left-right offset & MAY need to be re-spaced (i.e., you would move the thin washer on the freehub side to the non-drive side for continuity with OTHER/current Shimano hubs) ...

    SOME earlier 8-speed Shimano rear hubs do not use a lockring, but rather a threaded "last" cog ... those freehub bodies can/should be changed.

    Of course, if you opt for Campagnolo shifters, you can have your old rims relaced to a set of Campagnolo hubs.

    BTW. If 8-cogs in the rear are actually enough, you can just get ANY pair of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters and swap them directly for your existing 8-speed Ultegra shifters without "changing" any other components (except to account for "wear" OR for cosmetic reasons) ...

    BTW2. I think we can anticipate a NEW generation of Dura Ace shifters [improved mechanism (no dwell?) & lighter] with the 2008 TdF ... and, some of the other Shimano shifters (e.g., Ultegra & 105) in 2009.

    Hi, the change is for functionality. My chain and cluster is worn out and my levers aren't working to well as well. Cant seem to get 8sp parts anymore.

    English thread, thats what I thought.

    Thanks

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.