Here is what I have:
shift levers: ergopower 10sd record QS 2009
f/mech: centaur 2009
r/mech: centaur carbon 2009
calipers: chorus non skeletal polished
cassette: centaur 12/25 and 11/25 2009
chain: dura ace 2009
cransket: ultegra SL compact 2009

Have been looking at Athena 11 (although I dont wanna go to 11 as I have 10v shimano 7800/7900 mix on Cannondale six13) and I don't wanna go through all the hassle of what I used to go through when I had 9v on one bike and 10v on the other. I am all in favour of more sprockets the better as I lived in north east Spain where we are within 1-2hrs of the pyrenees and the Catalan foothills etc etc. It owuld be wonderful to run a 52-39 (or even a 52-38) on an 11-27 or eve n a 12-28. Here are total weights for the following groups: Athena 11: 2234g, Chorus 2144g, Record 2020. Would also be wlling to consider getting hold of 7800 and using 6700 levers as they are fully backward compatible. (I just hate the exposed cables; something that bugged me in 1988 and which 7800 users have never understood.) I may even swap out my addict r4 2008 frame, in white, and get hold of ad addict SL from 2008. I am currently selling a new HED JET 60mm 2009 rear wheel and will look at reynolds attack OR assault or possibly 2009 R SYS standard. All that MUST build into a 6,5kg bike and for all under €3000. The R4 is great but that extended seatpost makes it a ***** for travelling on planes.The R4 with the integrated seatpost is considerably heavier than the standard R4, however it does have a stiffer ride.So what group do I go for.....do I not complicate and opt for 7800 with ultegra levers? What does the 7800 group weigh?? Or do I go for campy 11 and complicated my life but have much improved hand positions like DA 7900 and DA 7800?? Has anyone tried campy 11 athena, chorus and record???

nurul said:
Looking to update the groupset on my scott:
Here is what I have:

Have been looking at Athena 11 (although I dont wanna go to 11 as I have 10v shimano 7800/7900 mix on Cannondale six13) and I don't wanna go through all the hassle of what I used to go through when I had 9v on one bike and 10v on the other. I am all in favour of more sprockets the better as I lived in north east Spain where we are within 1-2hrs of the pyrenees and the Catalan foothills etc etc. It owuld be wonderful to run a 52-39 (or even a 52-38) on an 11-27 or eve n a 12-28. Here are total weights for the following groups: Athena 11: 2234g, Chorus 2144g, Record 2020. Would also be wlling to consider getting hold of 7800 and using 6700 levers as they are fully backward compatible. (I just hate the exposed cables; something that bugged me in 1988 and which 7800 users have never understood.) I may even swap out my addict r4 2008 frame, in white, and get hold of ad addict SL from 2008. I am currently selling a new HED JET 60mm 2009 rear wheel and will look at reynolds attack OR assault or possibly 2009 R SYS standard. All that MUST build into a 6,5kg bike and for all under €3000. The R4 is great but that extended seatpost makes it a ***** for travelling on planes.The R4 with the integrated seatpost is considerably heavier than the standard R4, however it does have a stiffer ride.So what group do I go for.....do I not complicate and opt for 7800 with ultegra levers? What does the 7800 group weigh?? Or do I go for campy 11 and complicated my life but have much improved hand positions like DA 7900 and DA 7800?? Has anyone tried campy 11 athena, chorus and record???

2008 Record 10s methinks. 2009 Record was 11s.

The advantage of 2009/10 Campagnolo is lever ergonomics and very simple innards. Weight means almost othing. In the grand scheme of things, adding or subtracting a few hundred grams is lost in the noise of comfort and reliability.

4 things SIGNIFICANTLY improve cycling performance.
-Fit-does the bicycle fit you?
-Fitness- are you fit
-Fat-lack thereof on you
-finesse-training and racing smart

Take the bike, any bike, get a coach, a massage therapist, a dietician, make yourself a better rider. less $ about the bike, more about the rider.

Dejavu all over again.

Peter@vecchios said:

The advantage of 2009/10 Campagnolo is lever ergonomics and very simple innards. Weight means almost othing. In the grand scheme of things, adding or subtracting a few hundred grams is lost in the noise of comfort and reliability.

-Fitness- are you fit
-Fat-lack thereof on you

Take the bike, any bike, get a coach, a massage therapist, a dietician, make yourself a better rider. less $ about the bike, more about the rider.

Dejavu all over again.

HI PETE, LET'S FOCUS ON WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT WHICH IS CHANGING GROUP.

nurul said:
Looking to update the groupset on my scott:
Here is what I have:

Hi there did you upgrade yet? I am currently running campy 10 speed a mix of chorus and record, and was thinking of using a dura ace 7900 crankset. Have you tried this or kow if anyone else has?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi there I think the 11 speed forces you to upgrade too many items that the ten speed already gives you.

On a second note I was wondering have you known anyone to try a dura ace 10 speed 7900 crankset with campy 10 speed and will it work?

thanks,

Mark

markrfischer said:
Hi there I think the 11 speed forces you to upgrade too many items that the ten speed already gives you.

On a second note I was wondering have you known anyone to try a dura ace 10 speed 7900 crankset with campy 10 speed and will it work?

thanks,

Mark

The same could have been said for earlier versions. For example: 10 speed forces you to upgrade too many items that 9 speed already gives you.

Any 10 speed crankset will work with any 10 speed group set. Any 10 speed crankset will work with an 11 speed group set. For the record, you can use a 9 speed crankset with a 10 speed group set.

alienator said:
The same could have been said for earlier versions. For example: 10 speed forces you to upgrade too many items that 9 speed already gives you.

Any 10 speed crankset will work with any 10 speed group set. Any 10 speed crankset will work with an 11 speed group set. For the record, you can use a 9 speed crankset with a 10 speed group set.

thank you,
I am going to give it a try and replace the campy crankset with a shimano dura ace crank I have heard nothing but good feedback on them, and they seem to hold up better than the carbon sets.

Thanks,
Mark

markrfischer said:

thanks,

Mark

If you are Campagnolo 10s then all you need for '11s' is shifter, cogset and chain. All else is compatible.
What was said, you can really use any crank with any shifter system, double cranks.

nurul said:
HI PETE, LET'S FOCUS ON WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT WHICH IS CHANGING GROUP.

No reason to shout, I'm sitting right here. DISCUSSION group, I'm discussing.....

I think you need to change nothing in your group.

nurul said:
POST DELETED BY MODERATOR

Thank you,

I am going to run a non compact, and was thinking of trying the new ultegra set since it is almost the same as the Dura ace set and a lot cheaper. I currently run an ultra torque but I am looking for something a little stiffer.

thanks,
Mark

markrfischer said:
I am going to run a non compact, and was thinking of trying the new ultegra set since it is almost the same as the Dura ace set and a lot cheaper. I currently run an ultra torque but I am looking for something a little stiffer.

The Ultegra crankset is every bit as good as the Dura Ace version.

markrfischer said:
thank you,
I am going to give it a try and replace the campy crankset with a shimano dura ace crank I have heard nothing but good feedback on them, and they seem to hold up better than the carbon sets.

Thanks,
Mark

couple of things to note tho. First Capagnolo or really any other carbon crank holds up fine. Bearings and Chainrings may be suspect but the crank arms are fine.

Second, altho the 7900 crank is nice it IS about the same price as carbon but with a $400+ big chainring.

And I don't really think you tell crank arm stiffness, or lack thereof. The differences are very small, in terms of stiffness. If it 'feels' not as stiff as you wish, I think it's probably something else, like frame.

alienator said:
The Ultegra crankset is every bit as good as the Dura Ace version.

Can't compare to the Dura Ace cranks and only have just over 100km on Ultegra 6700 but the cranks are great. Front shifting is excellent and both low and high trim is available. A few reviews are critical about rear shifting due to cable friction on account of them being routed along the bars, however, I didn't experience this problem. The brakes are excellent and I got to test them in the wet yesterday. Levers have a higher pivot point so can brake harder while on the hoods.

Peter@vecchios said:

Another variation on the Campy theme is something like Record 10 w/ '09 Centaur levers. That's something I'm seriously considering. With the way things are still selling on eBay, auctioning off a set of Record 10s levers will end up paying for a good chunk of the Centaur levers. Of course, eBay can be tough to predict....( I just sold an SI Turbo saddle, which I bought on eBay, for $15 more than I paid for it and for more than the same saddle costs brand new at many internet dealers. :eek:)

Peter@vecchios said:

-Fitness- are you fit
-Fat-lack thereof on you

Dejavu all over again.

Hey, Peter. If you want to teach someone to suck eggs, try another forum. Did I ask about a dietician or losing fat or training smart or bikefit?? Those elements are not part of the bike component thread.

alienator said:
Another variation on the Campy theme is something like Record 10 w/ '09 Centaur levers. That's something I'm seriously considering. With the way things are still selling on eBay, auctioning off a set of Record 10s levers will end up paying for a good chunk of the Centaur levers. Of course, eBay can be tough to predict....( I just sold an SI Turbo saddle, which I bought on eBay, for $15 more than I paid for it and for more than the same saddle costs brand new at many internet dealers. :eek:)

My LBS says that the centaur 09 (new shape?) levers are far less postiive on the clicks. What I do love is the new shape of the 09 campy levers. On more than one occasion have my hands slipped right over the tops on hitting a pothole whilst in the middle of a peloton at low (30kph) speed.
My 7900 levers are so comfy and it is tempting to get rid of the Record 08 US levers and get some Centaur new shape 09 ones. Oh, my chorus solver 2000 calipers are still going fine but the rear one has always had an "on or off " action. Maybe skeletal got rid of that??

biker jk said:
Can't compare to the Dura Ace cranks and only have just over 100km on Ultegra 6700 but the cranks are great. Front shifting is excellent and both low and high trim is available. A few reviews are critical about rear shifting due to cable friction on account of them being routed along the bars, however, I didn't experience this problem. The brakes are excellent and I got to test them in the wet yesterday. Levers have a higher pivot point so can brake harder while on the hoods.

I am sure that the 6700 cransket is a great option for the money but I much prefer the look of the campy carbon cranksets and now that the athena crankset is priced so competitively.....
For my new bike build I will try to source a DA7800 group with a 52-38 crankset, 11-27 cassette and ultegra 6700 levers to ensure full compatibility. Oh shimano, you should have kept producing 7800 and called 7900 Super Dura Ace to keep the yuppies happy. Great 4,5hr ride today where Juan Antonio Flecha trains. On the 26% I apprecited my 36-25 at 5kph!!!! Gotta start somwhere as Mallorca is just around the corner and our group fires early!!!

nurul said:
Hey, Peter. If you want to teach someone to suck eggs, try another forum. Did I ask about a dietician or losing fat or training smart or bikefit?? Those elements are not part of the bike component thread.

How nice, and I like eggs too. I'm tapping out of this one. Good luck on your 'gotta be some weight' quest...Who's Flecha?

I got a better idea. If ya don't want to see what I say.......don't read it. I'm sure there is a preference where you will never see my posts....so sad.

Peter@vecchios said:
How nice, and I like eggs too. I'm tapping out of this one. Good luck on your 'gotta be some weight' quest...Who's Flecha?

Doesn't Flecha make margarine?