New guy, 53, questions, about getting on a bike

garagecapital

Guest
Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
Can I do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
taller? 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary? And
what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
yeas go through this?

garagecapital wrote:
> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
> Can I do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
> taller?

Flexibility exercises may be in order if you want to ride a conventional
road bicycle.

One alternative in upright bicycles would be crank forward designs such
as these bicycles from RANS: <http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion07.htm>.
The step over height is less and one can put both feet on the ground
while sitting on the saddle.

> 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
> be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary?

Most riders clip in one foot before starting off.

> And
> what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
> a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
> yeas go through this?

Power Grips are one alternative that are easy to get out of:
<http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/pg_benefits.shtml>.

For a shoe that can be walked in, a system such as Shimano SPD works
well, since the pedal releases the cleat with a twist of the foot.

Avoid old fashioned clips and straps at all costs. (The retro guys will
flame me for this).

> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
> Can I do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
> taller? 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
> be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary? And
> what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
> a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
> yeas go through this?

You can always tilt your road bike some in order to make it easier to throw
your leg over. Lots of people do that.

Clips are not "hard to pop into" while riding. It takes about 5 minutes,
tops, to get used to them. I always start off riding without being clipped
in and then clip my feet in one at a time as I build up speed. That way, if
something happens at the very start, I can simply put my foot down. And
things do happen--once my rear view mirror fell off and another time
somebody veered in front of me, for example. You get used to the cleat
system so fast that it isn't difficult to unclip while stopped. You just
twist your heel sideways and you're out. It gets to be like second nature.

Pat in TX

garagecapital wrote:
> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
> Can I  do that on a bike --or do I need to?

On a road bike you don't "Lift your leg up and onto the seat." You
first straddle the top tube, and then get into the saddle as you push
off.

See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

Art Harris

On Feb 23, 3:18 pm, garagecapital <[email protected]> wrote:
> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
> Can I  do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
> taller? 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
> be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary? And
> what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
> a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
> yeas go through this?

In re: #1- The spin bikes I've seen are taller but that isn't why you
have a problem throwing your leg over them. The real problem is that
they are bolted to the floor and you can't simply tilt them toward you
to lower the top tube. It is really no big deal on a bike.
In re: #2- The most common way of mounting is to straddle the bike and
clip into one pedal while still stationary. As for any hazard
associated with being unable to unclip, it is really overrated. You
may (and most likely will) fall once or twice while getting used to
clipless pedals on a road bike but those falls are almost always when
you're either at or very near a stop. They are embarrassing more than
hazardous. Much more hazardous is losing a pedal when you're trying to
hammer.
Another poster suggests that you may need flexibility exercises to
ride a conventional bike. If your only problem is getting that first
leg over I really doubt you need any such special exercises and you
certainly don't need any "special" bike just to ride. By all means,
try a recumbent if you wish but realize that they aren't for everyone.
In fairness, conventional diamond frame bikes don't suit everyone
either but buying a recumbent just because it is easy to mount is a
little bit like buying a car based solely on how easy it is to slide
into the driver's seat.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob Hunt wrote:
> On Feb 23, 3:18 pm, garagecapital <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
>> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
>> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
>> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
>> Can I do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
>> taller? 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
>> be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary? And
>> what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
>> a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
>> yeas go through this?

> In re: #1- The spin bikes I've seen are taller but that isn't why you
> have a problem throwing your leg over them. The real problem is that
> they are bolted to the floor and you can't simply tilt them toward you
> to lower the top tube. It is really no big deal on a bike.
> In re: #2- The most common way of mounting is to straddle the bike and
> clip into one pedal while still stationary. As for any hazard
> associated with being unable to unclip, it is really overrated. You
> may (and most likely will) fall once or twice while getting used to
> clipless pedals on a road bike but those falls are almost always when
> you're either at or very near a stop. They are embarrassing more than
> hazardous. Much more hazardous is losing a pedal when you're trying to
> hammer.
> Another poster suggests that you may need flexibility exercises to
> ride a conventional bike. If your only problem is getting that first
> leg over I really doubt you need any such special exercises and you
> certainly don't need any "special" bike just to ride.

Well, the original poster said it was an issue.

> By all means,
> try a recumbent if you wish but realize that they aren't for everyone.
> In fairness, conventional diamond frame bikes don't suit everyone
> either but buying a recumbent just because it is easy to mount is a
> little bit like buying a car based solely on how easy it is to slide
> into the driver's seat.

Point of order - I was not suggesting a recumbent bicycle in this
thread. This is NOT a recumbent bicycle by any stretch of the
imagination, but an upright with a lower seating position and the cranks
moved forward: <http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion07.htm>. One wonders if
Mr. Hunt looked at the link, or just did not read carefully and made a
false assumption. Sheesh.

On Feb 23, 3:18 pm, garagecapital <[email protected]> wrote:
> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
> Can I do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
> taller? 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
> be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary? And
> what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
> a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
> yeas go through this?

You'll be fine, as others mentioned, you can tilt a bike. Don't feel
obligated to get a pure road bike like everybody else--get something
you'll actually feel comfortable on. Don't feel obligated to use
clips, either, a good choice for road riding in sneakers are big
platform pedals with sneakers, like off roaders use.

An example, and yeah, you can get them cheaper:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22659&estore_ID=1472

"landotter" wrote:
> On Feb 23, 3:18 pm, garagecapital <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
>> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
>> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
>> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
>> Can I do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
>> taller? 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
>> be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary? And
>> what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
>> a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
>> yeas go through this?

> You'll be fine, as others mentioned, you can tilt a bike. Don't feel
> obligated to get a pure road bike like everybody else--get something
> you'll actually feel comfortable on. Don't feel obligated to use
> clips, either, a good choice for road riding in sneakers are big
> platform pedals with sneakers, like off roaders use.
>
> An example, and yeah, you can get them cheaper:
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22659&estore_ID=1472

The Forté Shovel platform pedal is $15 MORE than the Shimano PD-M324
hybrid platform/SPD pedal:
<http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=13207>. Of course,
that price does not include SPD compatible shoes, but those are not
needed for the platform side.

On Feb 23, 4:52 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "landotter" wrote:
> > On Feb 23, 3:18 pm, garagecapital <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Been thinking of getting a road bike after doing a lot of spinning.
> >> But two things have lodged in the back of my head: 1) I notice getting
> >> on my spin bike is hard, lifting the leg way up and onto the seat; I
> >> often cheat by getting on with one leg through in front of the seat.
> >> Can I do that on a bike --or do I need to? Maybe spin bikes are
> >> taller? 2) and related to that, the clips I use, seems like they will
> >> be hard to pop into while riding. Do I do one while stationary? And
> >> what about stopping/falling? Locked into clips. Wow, that sounds like
> >> a potential hazard. Any other guys who haven;t been on a bike in 35
> >> yeas go through this?

> > You'll be fine, as others mentioned, you can tilt a bike. Don't feel
> > obligated to get a pure road bike like everybody else--get something
> > you'll actually feel comfortable on. Don't feel obligated to use
> > clips, either, a good choice for road riding in sneakers are big
> > platform pedals with sneakers, like off roaders use.

> > An example, and yeah, you can get them cheaper:

> >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22659&estore_ID=1472

> The Forté Shovel platform pedal is $15 MORE than the Shimano PD-M324
> hybrid platform/SPD pedal:
> <http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=13207>. Of course,
> that price does not include SPD compatible shoes, but those are not
> needed for the platform side.

What's the point of your post?

I was simply giving a visual example of what a platform pedal looks
like--and not as an interim solution on the path to SPD. Big platforms
grip your shoes plenty enough to get a good spin going.

Want cheaper ones? Jackshit Primos run $50 and have cart bearings.

I like SPD just fine, but I really like my bike that's got plain
pedals--as whatever I'm currently wearing is fine.

Dual sided SPD is the worst of both worlds. Yuck.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

>I like SPD just fine, but I really like my bike that's got plain
>pedals--as whatever I'm currently wearing is fine.

As a utilitarian rider I simply use whatever shoes I'm wearing, though
leather soled ones are a bit slippery. Clips only make sense if you always
start and end your ride at home, and don't have to walk someplace in
between.

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I like SPD just fine, but I really like my bike that's got plain
>> pedals--as whatever I'm currently wearing is fine.

> As a utilitarian rider I simply use whatever shoes I'm wearing, though
> leather soled ones are a bit slippery. Clips only make sense if you always
> start and end your ride at home, and don't have to walk someplace in
> between.

That is why I suggested Power Grips, which work fine with ordinary
shoes, while providing most of the benefits of "clipless" systems and/or
clips and straps.

"landotter" wrote:
> On Feb 23, 4:52 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>> You'll be fine, as others mentioned, you can tilt a bike. Don't feel
>>> obligated to get a pure road bike like everybody else--get something
>>> you'll actually feel comfortable on. Don't feel obligated to use
>>> clips, either, a good choice for road riding in sneakers are big
>>> platform pedals with sneakers, like off roaders use.
>>> An example, and yeah, you can get them cheaper:
>>> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22659&estore_ID=1472

>> The Forté Shovel platform pedal is $15 MORE than the Shimano PD-M324
>> hybrid platform/SPD pedal:
>> <http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=13207>. Of course,
>> that price does not include SPD compatible shoes, but those are not
>> needed for the platform side.

> What's the point of your post?

It seems odd to mention that platform pedals are "cheaper" than other
pedals, while posting an URL to a page that shows platform pedals that
are MORE expensive than the "clipless" [1] pedals shown on the same page.

> I was simply giving a visual example of what a platform pedal looks
> like--and not as an interim solution on the path to SPD. Big platforms
> grip your shoes plenty enough to get a good spin going.

I suppose that depends on the definition of "good spin". I would not
want to ride hard or for long distances without foot retention.

> Want cheaper ones? Jackshit Primos run $50 and have cart bearings.
>
> I like SPD just fine, but I really like my bike that's got plain
> pedals--as whatever I'm currently wearing is fine.
>
> Dual sided SPD is the worst of both worlds. Yuck.

I thought the worst were "road" systems with huge cleats (e.g. Look)
that make it impossible to do anything but hobble when off the bike.

[1] "Clipless" as a common description for pedals one clips into was an
unfortunate choice, and certainly confusing to newbies.

On Feb 23, 4:38 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Point of order - I was not suggesting a recumbent bicycle in this
> thread. This is NOT a recumbent bicycle by any stretch of the
> imagination, but an upright with a lower seating position and the cranks
> moved forward: <http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion07.htm>. One wonders if
> Mr. Hunt looked at the link, or just did not read carefully and made a
> false assumption. Sheesh.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman

Before you accuse me of making assumptions, read what I wrote, not
what you *assume* I wrote.
> > Another poster suggests that you may need flexibility exercises to
> > ride a conventional bike. If your only problem is getting that first
> > leg over I really doubt you need any such special exercises and you
> > certainly don't need any "special" bike just to ride.

Where do I say you suggested a recumbent bike? You mentioned a
crankforward design and I mentioned recumbents, both of which can be
fairly described as "special" bikes. Stop being so damned touchy.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob Hunt wrote:
> On Feb 23, 4:38 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Point of order - I was not suggesting a recumbent bicycle in this
>> thread. This is NOT a recumbent bicycle by any stretch of the
>> imagination, but an upright with a lower seating position and the cranks
>> moved forward: <http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion07.htm>. One wonders if
>> Mr. Hunt looked at the link, or just did not read carefully and made a
>> false assumption. Sheesh.
>>
>> --
>> Tom Sherman

> Before you accuse me of making assumptions, read what I wrote, not
> what you *assume* I wrote.
>>> Another poster suggests that you may need flexibility exercises to
>>> ride a conventional bike. If your only problem is getting that first
>>> leg over I really doubt you need any such special exercises and you
>>> certainly don't need any "special" bike just to ride.

> Where do I say you suggested a recumbent bike? You mentioned a
> crankforward design and I mentioned recumbents, both of which can be
> fairly described as "special" bikes. Stop being so damned touchy.

Oh please. It was quite transparent who you were referring to and why
(at least to anyone who is a "regular" on the group).

On Feb 23, 8:18 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Don Wiss wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I like SPD just fine, but I really like my bike that's got plain
> >> pedals--as whatever I'm currently wearing is fine.

> > As a utilitarian rider I simply use whatever shoes I'm wearing, though
> > leather soled ones are a bit slippery. Clips only make sense if you always
> > start and end your ride at home, and don't have to walk someplace in
> > between.

> That is why I suggested Power Grips, which work fine with ordinary
> shoes, while providing most of the benefits of "clipless" systems and/or
> clips and straps.

Power grips might be good, but they make me think of those 70s
exercise bikes that old aunties kept in their spare room that always
smelt of Vagisil, sweat, and Crest.

"landotter" wrote:
> On Feb 23, 8:18 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Don Wiss wrote:
>>> As a utilitarian rider I simply use whatever shoes I'm wearing, though
>>> leather soled ones are a bit slippery. Clips only make sense if you always
>>> start and end your ride at home, and don't have to walk someplace in
>>> between.

>> That is why I suggested Power Grips, which work fine with ordinary
>> shoes, while providing most of the benefits of "clipless" systems and/or
>> clips and straps.

> Power grips might be good, but they make me think of those 70s
> exercise bikes that old aunties kept in their spare room that always
> smelt of Vagisil, sweat, and Crest.

Thanks for the mental image - I am skipping breakfast now.

On Feb 24, 9:15 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "landotter" wrote:
> > On Feb 23, 8:18 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> That is why I suggested Power Grips, which work fine with ordinary
> >> shoes, while providing most of the benefits of "clipless" systems and/or
> >> clips and straps.

> > Power grips might be good, but they make me think of those 70s
> > exercise bikes that old aunties kept in their spare room that always
> > smelt of Vagisil, sweat, and Crest.

> Thanks for the mental image - I am skipping breakfast now.

Add pee to it and you're good till suppertime!

>> Where do I say you suggested a recumbent bike? You mentioned a
>> crankforward design and I mentioned recumbents, both of which can be
>> fairly described as "special" bikes. Stop being so damned touchy.

> Oh please. It was quite transparent who you were referring to and why (at
> least to anyone who is a "regular" on the group).

> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia

That gave me my big laugh of the day! First, he says you are being too
touchy and then, to prove you're not, you go off on a snit! Lol. He nailed
you, Tom!

Pat the Clock wrote:
>>> Where do I say you suggested a recumbent bike? You mentioned a
>>> crankforward design and I mentioned recumbents, both of which can be
>>> fairly described as "special" bikes. Stop being so damned touchy.

>> Oh please. It was quite transparent who you were referring to and why (at
>> least to anyone who is a "regular" on the group).

>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia

> That gave me my big laugh of the day! First, he says you are being too
> touchy and then, to prove you're not, you go off on a snit! Lol. He nailed
> you, Tom!

If you can not see what Mr. Hunt was referring to, you have not be
around here long and/or paying attention. Sheesh.