New guy. did i pay too much?

Nice just did 14 miles.... I think im going to needed padded shorts.

Rides really smooth but i found my neck and shoulders getting sore.

I am definitely out of shape....

Semper Fi!

You could just be out of shape, but if your neck and shoulders are getting sore, you probably don't have a proper fit. Take the bike to a bicycle shop and they can tweek the fit for you and give it a good tune-up. They can also address any safety issues the bike may have and outfit you with the gear and clothing you need to make your rides more enjoyable.

Nice just did 14 miles.... I think im going to needed padded shorts.

Rides really smooth but i found my neck and shoulders getting sore.

I am definitely out of shape....

Semper Fi!

Dittos to the comment on having bike adjusted your size. But the bike clothing design worn by cyclists didn't just happen or appear out of no where, but were designed as solutions to problems. Get two pairs of shorts as you'll find one pair often is in the wash. You'll also find decent peddles with shoes with cleat to attach to said peddles very useful and aid to enjoying bicycling. They take a while to get use to, do that in untraveled (by cars/buses/etc) areas. WELCOME TO THE SPORT/RECREATION!

can any one help
I recently bought a claud butler alpina 2.7 2015 through cycle to work scheme, I had problems with brakes and gear slipping , the brakes I upgraded at a cost as they were not stopping me very well . upgrade from clarks exo skeletal to shimano deore , but I was charged a little fee, but im still having gears slip all time- when I take it back they tighten cable and it happens again. they said my deraileaur arm was bent straighted it up but still doing it- Im not doing any extreme riding just mainly flat trails for fitness so im not throwing bike around and I am carefull when I put bike away , any one got any thoughts

I would suggest upgrading the rest of your components, especially since the derailleur arm was bent. The low-end components that came stock on this bike will continue to give you problems. Also pay attention to your basic shifting techniques to avoid shifting under loads and cross-chaining.
Having confidence in your bike's performance and condition makes for a more enjoyable ride.

thank you for the feedback - they have now changed the chain and the cable casing to the derailleur but im still having problems , they now saying as im abig lad I could be putting too much power through the pedals and wearing thisngs out, but they sold me the bike maybe they should have recommended a better one its really doing my head in, im new to cycling and this is killing my enjoyment - if I was told from start this bike may not be suitable I could have got a better one think they just sold me a old bike to get rid of it