New guy here-what is the correct way to sit on the saddle?

scott.475

Jul 25, 2006
Hey all, new to road biking here, but I have decided to do the Seattle-to-Portland next, so I'm not waisting any time trying to get in shape.

My first question, of what I'm sure will be many, is this: how am I supposed to sit on the saddle? A better way to say it might be, how should it feel? I've had my bike for a couple weeks now, and knew after my first ride I needed a saddle with a cutout (I had one on an old MTB I "hybridded"(?!?!?)). I replaced it with a Terry, and immediately had more comfort, only feeling slight pressure that I got used to. Well, today while I was riding, for some reason, I pushed myself a little farther back on my saddle than I had been before, and actually felt my sit bones for the first time...it was nice to have the pressure of the more forward area.

So, anyway, is the saddle supposed to be forward enough that the wide part of it supports those sit bones? I have not had nearly the problems that other have talked about on here, but when I rolled back onto those sit bones, it was just more comfort than I thought you could have, though I did still feel some pressure.

Anyway, your advice is greatly appreciated...I did do a search also, but couldn't find what I was looking for with the terms I used.

The wider part of the saddle should support the sit-bones (ischial bones). The saddle that suits you best will depend on the width between these bones. Specialized now offer a range of saddles with varying widths to cater for this. You can get fitted for their saddles at stockists.

I find it good to move around a little and alter my position (esp on long rides) so that I give different parts of my butt a rest. eg. move forward on flats, and back on climbs. Getting out of the saddle every now and again is also a good way to keep things comfortable.

Also, the cost of the saddle needn't determine the comfort. My old $20 saddle was way more comfortable than my new $100 saddle, shame it died in a crash.