New guy needs bike parts help...

leeloo67

Oct 11, 2010
I'm not all that new to cycling, but very green when it comes to bike parts. I always just take my bike to the bike shop to get set up, etc., but I want to start figuring out adjustments for myself.

So in order to practice and not mess up my good bike, I got an old, non-suspension Giant mountain bike dirt cheap but needs a couple of parts, and I have no idea what to buy. The bike rides fine and smooth, but the rear shifter is missing and the handlebar has a very slight warp to it, so I need to get new shifters and a new handlebar. I literally have no idea what to buy or what size, etc.

All the components on the bike say "Shimano Alivio", so I'm guessing that the SL-MC40 would be a good replacement? They look just like what is on the bike. And as for the handlebar I have no idea how to figure out the "clamp area diameter". I measured the circumference and got exactly 7.9cm in the clamp area - so I should get a 25.4 handlebar? Just want to double-check with the experts before ordering!

Originally Posted by leeloo67 .

I'm not all that new to cycling, but very green when it comes to bike parts. I always just take my bike to the bike shop to get set up, etc., but I want to start figuring out adjustments for myself.

So in order to practice and not mess up my good bike, I got an old, non-suspension Giant mountain bike dirt cheap but needs a couple of parts, and I have no idea what to buy. The bike rides fine and smooth, but the rear shifter is missing and the handlebar has a very slight warp to it, so I need to get new shifters and a new handlebar. I literally have no idea what to buy or what size, etc.

All the components on the bike say "Shimano Alivio", so I'm guessing that the SL-MC40 would be a good replacement? They look just like what is on the bike. And as for the handlebar I have no idea how to figure out the "clamp area diameter". I measured the circumference and got exactly 7.9cm in the clamp area - so I should get a 25.4 handlebar? Just want to double-check with the experts before ordering!
Yep, the handlebar is 25.4, MTB older 'standard'. match the shifter to the cogset, in speeds. 8s shifter if ya got a 8s cogset.

I need some help too.

I bought a MTB about 9 months ago and cycled it to work about
3 days out of 5, 16 mile round trip, lotsa hills.

Chain started snagging up.

Put a new chain on it, and the lower gears (like the middle ones on theback cassette)
snag and drop.

Anyway, I just ordered a 8 way cassette. I just found out the old one was 7 cogs.
Will this matter ?

Here's a link to some really good resources when it comes to understanding bikes, bike components and compatibility: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Also if you're new to making adjustments and want additional info this is good:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Both the handlebar and cassette compatibility question and hundreds of others are answered on those sites.

Originally Posted by robin48gx .

I need some help too.

Put a new chain on it, and the lower gears (like the middle ones on theback cassette)
snag and drop.

Anyway, I just ordered a 8 way cassette. I just found out the old one was 7 cogs.
Will this matter ?
You will lose either your highest gear or your lowest gear, depending upon how you adjust the L and H screws on your RD, but it will work.

To the original poster: You are not limited to just the alivio model shifter. Any shimano shifter made to work with however many speeds your cassette is will be compatible. Sram also makes a line of shifters that are compatible with shimano derailleurs, although it is important to note that not all of srams shifters will work with shimano rear derailleurs.

Originally Posted by robin48gx .

I need some help too.

snag and drop.

Will this matter ?
Luckily for you 7 speed and 8 speed have the same pull ratio so it will work. All you need to dois "lock out" either the smallest or largest cog by using the rear derailleurs limit screws since you will only be able to use 7 of the cogs. This does leave you with the option of purchasing an 8 speed rear shifter down the road in order to utilize all of the cogs.

Thanks all. I ended up just asking the guys at the bike shop and they sold me the right stuff. Price was about the same as eBay and came with free advice, so no complaints. I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting the shifters though - high and low are no problem, but I can't seem to line up all the cogs all the time. If the shifting between 1 and 2 on the rear are fine, then between 6 and 7 is off and snags and catches; if I adust the barrel, then 1 and 2 are off again. Same with the front. The bike was pretty beat up though. This is my "practice" bike though so I'll keep reading up around the internet and messing around with it. It is at least rideable now and the brakes work great.

Originally Posted by leeloo67 .

Thanks all. I ended up just asking the guys at the bike shop and they sold me the right stuff. Price was about the same as eBay and came with free advice, so no complaints. I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting the shifters though - high and low are no problem, but I can't seem to line up all the cogs all the time. If the shifting between 1 and 2 on the rear are fine, then between 6 and 7 is off and snags and catches; if I adust the barrel, then 1 and 2 are off again. Same with the front. The bike was pretty beat up though. This is my "practice" bike though so I'll keep reading up around the internet and messing around with it. It is at least rideable now and the brakes work great.

Make sure that you are adjusting the high screw of the read derailleur when there is no tension on the cable. Then the low screw can be adjusted after the cable is tensioned. If this doesn't work then you may have a derailleur hanger that is out of alignment. Depending on the frame this may require buying a new hanger (generally $15-25 for most bikes) or straightening the existing hanger, in which case you will need a derailleur hanger alignment gauge.