New guy to racing

I wanted to wait until I got some pictures, but I have some other things to address. I got a Felt F65 with 50 miles on it for 950 dollars. It comes with Dura Ace pedals and I'm very excited. It will be here Monday. Thanks for your help on my bike.

Some more things I need your advice on now are helmets and shoes.

Right now were just talking about shoes and things to look for so cost is not important right now I’m still shopping. If you can persuade me that 150 dollars is worth spending on a shoe then I’ll go with it. Tell me everything I need to know about shoes.

This is one I’m looking at

http://specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=18142

Also helmets. Right now I’m willing to spend around 90 dollars on a helmet; one I liked was the bell sweep r. If someone could tell me more about helmets such as what you get as you spend more money that would be appreciated.

Shoes and helmets are something you need to try on to see what is comfortable for you. I bought my shoes by going to the store immediately after a 38 mile ride. I tried about a dozen pair, and only two were comfortable to me. What works for me, though, is not going to be best for everyone.

As far as helmets go, there is no difference in protection between the inexpensive helmets and the most expensive helmets; however, there could be a big difference in fit, weight, and ventilation. Giro and Bell are the same company. Both are good helmets, but they fit entirely differently. Most people who like Bell cannot wear Giro and vice versa. Try on helmets until you fine one that is comfortable for you.

CIMG0470.jpg

Thanks guys

Very nice bike...very jealous of your very nice bike:p

Do you know what year model it is?

It's a 2005 Felt F65 with 50 miles on it, the guy never got into the sport. Looks new. I went into this saying not to jump on anything because there will always be more deals to be had, just wait long enough and you can find what you are looking for.

Now if I could just get some lighter wheels..

Next summer I'll get some, I’m broke at the moment. I just went back and read through my thread strange how things escalate from 450USD to 950USD. Oh well it was money well spent. Thanks again guys.:D:D

Reins said:
Now if I could just get some lighter wheels..
Use the wheels that are on it. Worry about upgrades later, after you have built the appropriate fitness.

my 2 cents:

look for a used road bike with great components. know your components. keep in mind that it's the engine that drives performance not the gear. but its also important to feel comfortable on a bike. spend money on a good seat, good tires, good shoes, good helmet and cool sunglasses.

i've raced for the past 10 years on a used aluminum Schwinn frame (circa 1980) that i found lying on the street. i added decent Campy components, got better wheels when a friend upgraded to something better, swapped out the seat - all over a decade and it's been a loyal bike for me.

just did Ironman Canada and finished faster than all my training mates riding $2k Treks to $7K Serrottas. won age group when I did Vineman Ironman in 2004 on same bike. bike is heavy with stickers all over it but it's been great and only made me a stronger cyclist.

go for a good used bike that fits you. good luck!

mikesbytes said:
Use the wheels that are on it. Worry about upgrades later, after you have built the appropriate fitness.
I agree, these wheels are great trainers. I'd like something lighter when it comes to race time next spring though. There are other things on the list of things to get which are more important ATM anyway.