New Guy.....

SCardamon

Jan 30, 2012
Hey everyone!

Quick question.

I am a 2 year rider and am hitting a wall when trying to get speed up over 20 mph. Whenever I ride for a long period of time @ 20 or above I get hip pain at the top of my hip. Anyone else overcome/have this issue?

LOL good call. The left leg rear portion of the hip at the top of the hip bone. Buring pain, feels like a pinches nerve. If I walk around it is ok but sitting upright makes it pulse with pain.

I have worked my core pretty heavilly and it is fairly strong.

Thanks!

Wow so either this forum is made up of vetran riders who can not even remember what hip pain felt like or if they ever had it at all or there is not a hole ton of riders commenting on this site... :)

There's a lot of expertise on training, equipment, supplements, and the sports aspect itself. Anatomy, physiology, pathology not so much. Apparently we have more coaches, riders, and equipment junkies than doctors, soigneurs, and budding anatomists.

From your description it sounds like Gluteus Medius... ballpark area?

Originally Posted by SCardamon .

Hey everyone!

Quick question.

I am a 2 year rider and am hitting a wall when trying to get speed up over 20 mph. Whenever I ride for a long period of time @ 20 or above I get hip pain at the top of my hip. Anyone else overcome/have this issue?
Believe most of us have had some kind of pain/injury issues in our cycling. General advice is to take it easy and let it heal. That could mean staying off the bike completely, or just riding at 15 mph rather than 20 for a month or two. Whatever you do, stop pushing into the pain threshold now, since that's only aggrievating the injury.

Best course would be to seek out pro help now, either from a sports med doc or trainer, ideally one familar with cyclists. But I believe 90% of the garden-variety overuse injuries will heal themselves If given a chance. the injury doesn't heal itself in a couple of months of recovery, then it's time to see professionals.

Had a bit of that in the fall a couple of seasons ago, and made it go away with stretching and a couple of weeks going easy--no big gears, big headwinds, big climbs, or long rides (longer than 30 miles). Good luck.

@SCardamon Excuse me if this has no relevance to cycling, I am newer to the pedals than you (3 months), so I do not have nearly the mileage under my belt, though hip pain is something that I am not new to.
As soon as the ice melts up here in MA, I water ski as much as possible (may have to compete with new bike addiction). Whether I have poor skiing form,but when combined with 90+ hrs/wk on feet in a restaurant, I have one hip that I experience the pain you are describing.
I tried the ibuprofen/muscle relaxant route to no avail. The only remedy, per my trainer, was to lay in a doorway, put one foot up on the wall like an L, get your butt ass close to the wall as possible while keeping your leg straight locked, butt tight (as much as your hamstrings can take will determine how close your ass is to the wall). Have your head on the floor, palms pushing down on floor to engage core and protect back. Take leg in doorway and slowly scissor up and down. 10 a side. morning and night.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

There's a lot of expertise on training, equipment, supplements, and the sports aspect itself. Anatomy, physiology, pathology not so much. Apparently we have more coaches, riders, and equipment junkies than doctors, soigneurs, and budding anatomists.

From your description it sounds like Gluteus Medius... ballpark area?

That is where the pain lies yes. Late this week I have begun to try lunges and low weight leg presses to see if that strengthens the area. Thank you for taking time to help!

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

Believe most of us have had some kind of pain/injury issues in our cycling. General advice is to take it easy and let it heal. That could mean staying off the bike completely, or just riding at 15 mph rather than 20 for a month or two. Whatever you do, stop pushing into the pain threshold now, since that's only aggrievating the injury.

Best course would be to seek out pro help now, either from a sports med doc or trainer, ideally one familar with cyclists. But I believe 90% of the garden-variety overuse injuries will heal themselves If given a chance. the injury doesn't heal itself in a couple of months of recovery, then it's time to see professionals.
I actually tried this for most of the winter season. For about 2 months I did not push over 16 mph and no pain, even took 2 weeks off all together (that was just laziness not pain avoidance :) ). Just always happenes when I get up in speed no matter how much prep/progress I make strength wise. Thank you for the info!

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Had a bit of that in the fall a couple of seasons ago, and made it go away with stretching and a couple of weeks going easy--no big gears, big headwinds, big climbs, or long rides (longer than 30 miles). Good luck.

I stretch religiously, never before exercise and even after strength training. Hasn't changed anything yet. Thanks for the feeback and help!

That is where the pain lies yes. Late this week I have begun to try lunges and low weight leg presses to see if that strengthens the area. Thank you for taking time to help!
Although I never experienced any direct pain in this area, there was a time when I putting in hard miles AND getting a lot of massage. This area was usually pretty sensitive and loved the work. Seemed to be the only thing that really helped. I do a lot of strecthing but I could never really target the exact spot with any particular stretch. Low weight high rep exercises may help by bringing blood to the area. If it hurts as a result of the ride, you may want to try an ice pack on the area for 10-15 minutes afterward. Unlike heat, which has the potential to inflame an area in the acute stage, ice can do no harm.