New Guy

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by 616fun, Aug 17, 2012.

1. 616fun

616fun New Member

I'm a new guy fighting the middle aged spread. I hit 277 lbs and just was miserable with myself. So in April I started running and have lost 29 lbs so far. I want to add some cycling in for a cross train and to take some strain off my knees. Even in prime shape I'm a big guy (6'2", large frame).

I'm from Indianapolis, IN and work in the pharma industry as a clinical project manager.

Tags:

2. 616fun

616fun New Member

Should also say I'm an avid scuba diver and really got on the health kick because my custom drysuit wouldn't fit anymore /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

3. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

Lots of people use cycling for weight loss and exercise. There are also even lots of just large cyclist. The common [and affectionate term] for cyclist over 200 pounds is Clydesdale. There is a section for Clydesdales here at the forum as well.

I started out about where you are now... and remain a Clydesdale by mere ounces. I often say I don't exercise.... I just love to bicycle. And... there is a lot of truth there. I returned to cycling because a foot problem kept me from walking. Wheels do make getting around a bunch easier on joints and such. But now.... I ride just because I want to.

The weight loss and fitness are great things! But finding a great activity/sport/hobby like bicycling.... that is priceless. Welcome to the forum.

4. 616fun

616fun New Member

Just did my first ride in about 10 years. 40 miles. 15.17 mph pace. My gooch HATES me right now!!!!

5. Dave Cutter

????

6. 616fun

616fun New Member

Fixed it.... Darn iPhone....

7. Dave Cutter

8. 616fun

616fun New Member

25 more miles today, plus I finally ordered my own bike. Fiji Roubiax 1.0. 105 components. Sale price in store was $999.99. I had to order a 61 cm frame. Should have it next week. http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1117089_-1_catNav

9. Dave Cutter

Again... NICE. I have a Fuji newest 3.0 that I purchased from Performance 2 years ago which I have since put just under 4000 miles on.

Do take care and be careful as you learn-the-ropes of cycling. I took a minor spill last year that slowed my progress (and caused a real ouchy too). I am big believer in wearing a helmet and it wouldn't hurt if you could ride just a little with an experienced cyclist. Besides having a couple friends that cycle... I joined a local cycling club.

I quit smoking four years ago... and although I had become a bit over-weight before then... I gained even more weight. I weighted 257 pounds with a 42 inch waist and had health problems as well. I discussed my plans with my doctor ahead of time.... then last November I decided to watch what I ate to avoid holiday weight gain... and actually lost 10 pounds. I figured when cycling season started the pounds would just melt off... I was wrong. The weather warmed early and despite my cycling my weight seemed stuck.

In May, I downloaded an app... there are bunches like the one I downloaded... that track diet and exercise. I started eating 1000 calories a day less than what it would take to maintain my weight. I also track exercise... but don't count it towards eating more food.

I am no longer a Clydesdale!

My waist is at 36 inches and it is amazing how great I feel [I am also an old retired guy]. Soon I should be within my “ideal weight” (at least the higher end of my ideal weight) with a BMI of below 25. Who would have thought.... diet and exercise really does work. Although I really don't think of cycling as an “exercise”.... cycling for me is all fun.

10. 616fun

616fun New Member

That's awesome!! I am riding with an experienced group. There were 4 of us yesterday and two this morning. We are having fun and they are patient with my current ability. I should come up to speed soon though :)

11. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

I'm from Indianapolis, IN and work in the pharma industry as a clinical project manager.

Can you hook a brotha up?
    I needs me some T, a little HGh and some EPO for the Grand Fondo next weekend.

If you are averaging 15+ MPH over 40 miles you are off to a great start...light years ahead of most beginning or returning to the sport riders. I'm guessing fairly flat terrain? Stay with your friends. There's nothing better to keep you motivated, safe and up to speed.

Dropping weight now WILL help your feet, knees and hips last into your golden years (whoever dreamed up the term for old age needs to be shot!). Good luck!

12. 616fun

616fun New Member

Terrain was hilly, but I have been conditioning via running for about 4 months. Today was a struggle to keep the pace, by it's mostly bc I didn't rest the legs long enough before another ride.

13. 616fun

616fun New Member

Oh. And they only let me manage the data. They don't let me anywhere near the compounds :)

14. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Damn...there goes 5th place in my age group and an ****** into doping control! Why the hell can't I type e-s-c-o-r-t?

I've got to get to know an Amgen distributor.

If you're doing a 15+ MPH average over hilly terrain and your weight is over 200 pounds, you are an animal! Dropping a few more pounds and maintaining your strength...in a few more months your riding partners will fear you!

Staying active thru the miserable Ohio and Indiana winters can be a challenge. Get stocked up on winter cycling gear. It's been my experience that the big guys that sweat buckets and can't cut the heat as well as the skinnies can work harder in the cold weather.

And at least you have the option of heading to Roatan for some warm water in January!

15. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

OP, you do realize, don't you, that you have to post a pic of your actual bike when it's in your possession, don't you? Otherwise, according to Hoyle's Book of Card Games, the bike doesn't exist. FYI, the data is often the fun part. Here's proof: Around Christmas I found this little jpeg called "Wish": [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cyclingforums.com/content/type/61/id/271120/width/500/height/1000[/IMG] Having long been infected by Matlab and abused by professors, I assumed that image had to be viewed in another space, either a hallucinogenic or a transform space. So, given my physics bent, I reached for my local Fourier transform, applied it, and did a rotation, and got this: [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cyclingforums.com/content/type/61/id/271121/width/500/height/1000[/IMG] See you "wish" upon a star. The reality is the data is a cheap substitute for play time with science toys.

16. 616fun

616fun New Member

Technically I don't have the bike yet. I paid for it Saturday, but they had to order in a 61cm frame. As soon as I get it I'll be adding some snapshots. I'm dying to get it.

17. zeppler

zeppler New Member

Congrats on the bike, shows us pics when you get it.

training plans and schedules aside, remember to enjoy riding a bike. Bring out the "fun" factor from it, and you'll be putting on lots of miles before you know it.

18. tottenham21

tottenham21 New Member

So what bike are you riding on now if I may ask, I'm also over 200, I'm 235 at the mo, slowly dropping weight since I started cycling last November, I was 260..

19. 616fun

616fun New Member

I've been on an old Trek 2200. The Fuji roubaix 1.0 should be a great bike as well.

20. 616fun

616fun New Member

Finally picked it up yesterday. Did an 8 mile ride at lunch and it's awesome!!! [​IMG]