New hand-built wheels review

BikingBrian

Sep 25, 2003
Well, I finally got a set of custom handbuilt wheels:
Mavic Open Pros, Campy Record hubs, Dt Swiss 15\16 g spokes, brass nipples.
Total weight on my digital kitchen scale: 1620 grams (750, 870)
Cost: 48,000 yen or about $480

Interesting, in that they are about the same weight as a set of Ksyriums or Fulcrum Racing Ones for 1/2 the price! If I had used Alu nipples and/or aero lightweight spokes, they would be even lighter. Looking at a lot of pre-builts, my rear wheel is lighter, even with 32 spokes.... :confused: Does Mavic add leadshot to their wheels or something? :D
Anyway, all-round, I'd say I'm pretty happy.
Any weaknesses? Well, they're prob not very aero...but neither are Ksyriums or Ksyrium look-alikes. And...the Record hub only comes in a 32h!! :mad:
But they roll SOOOO smoothly - very very quiet. And the lateral play adjustment is super-duper easy (2.5mm hex wrench only tool needed)
I shod these with Panaracer rimstrips (not only light, but soft as well, unlike the standard plastic stuff that shreds) and Pro 3 Race tyres with Michelin latex tubes: Like rolling on a nice set of tubular wheels :)

Sounds pretty sweet. I had a set of handbuilts done for me last fall and I have been having a ball with them this year. Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC on record 32h hubs with Sapin CX Race 14/15 spokes. They are every bit as fast as my pricier Eurus' and very smooth. I'll never buy factory wheels again.

enjoy.

I think the secret is out. Hand-builts are better, especially if you get a really nice set of hubs as you did!

I think the pre-built wheels are really only popular because of the looks...

Cool build. I have only heard good things about Campag hubs. What wheels were you using before? How do they compare against them?

I have a set of open pros laced to Ultegra hubs as well. And I think that the braking surface is very good.

Powerful Pete said:
I think the secret is out. Hand-builts are better, especially if you get a really nice set of hubs as you did!

I think the pre-built wheels are really only popular because of the looks...

Shhh! Don't tell too many people! One thing I failed to mention is that all the riders out there buying boutique wheels are supporting the bike industry :D

thomas_cho said:
Cool build. I have only heard good things about Campag hubs. What wheels were you using before? How do they compare against them?

I have a set of open pros laced to Ultegra hubs as well. And I think that the braking surface is very good.

Well, for racing I was using Campy Protons - so very little difference, actually. I bought them more as a "spare" or just-in-case set of wheels, hence the similar build. I like to sprint, and...well...crashes happen ;) This way, I won't be without wheels while repairing one set.
So, my criteria for the build was:

*Easily spun-up (low MOI...yeah I know this is disputed, but let's say it's a psychological boost :D )
*Easy to repair
*Smooth hubs
*Inexpensive
*"Robust" ie stiff

The Protons are the same thing, just a little harder to get parts in a hurry if needed.

BikingBrian said:
Well, I finally got a set of custom handbuilt wheels:
Mavic Open Pros, Campy Record hubs, Dt Swiss 15\16 g spokes, brass nipples.
Total weight on my digital kitchen scale: 1620 grams (750, 870)
Cost: 48,000 yen or about $480

Interesting, in that they are about the same weight as a set of Ksyriums or Fulcrum Racing Ones for 1/2 the price! If I had used Alu nipples and/or aero lightweight spokes, they would be even lighter. Looking at a lot of pre-builts, my rear wheel is lighter, even with 32 spokes.... :confused: Does Mavic add leadshot to their wheels or something? :D
Anyway, all-round, I'd say I'm pretty happy.
Any weaknesses? Well, they're prob not very aero...but neither are Ksyriums or Ksyrium look-alikes. And...the Record hub only comes in a 32h!! :mad:
But they roll SOOOO smoothly - very very quiet. And the lateral play adjustment is super-duper easy (2.5mm hex wrench only tool needed)
I shod these with Panaracer rimstrips (not only light, but soft as well, unlike the standard plastic stuff that shreds) and Pro 3 Race tyres with Michelin latex tubes: Like rolling on a nice set of tubular wheels :)

Record hubs are 32 and 36h, just for info and congratulations, you are another person who sees that well designed and well built wheels can work well, have great hubs and not cost $800+.

Hi,
Some great information in this and other threads on here about wheelsets and the general consensus seems to be that the best value is to found from a hand built wheelset.
I'm looking to replace an old set of Campy Ventos and I've almost finally decided on a set of Open Pro's, Record hubs, DT Swiss spokes, in a 32h, 3 cross configuration, for about 350 euro, incl. delivery.
I noticed on here that many have recommended custom wheelsets with DT Swiss rims and hubs as being equal, if not superior to, the Open Pro/Campy hub combination. So, I came across a set of DT Swiss R1900's for just over 400 euro and was wondering how these rated against custom builts.
Any opinions on these?

Cheers
Tonto

DT Swiss rims have an excellent reputation. I doubt you will go wrong with them. Another option worth considering in the rims department are Ambrosio Excellights, another very nice set of rims that also look great to boot.