New handlebar for threaded headset

C

Craig

I have a 1999 5200 trek I need to replace the handle bars.

Do I have to worry about avoiding bars that have to big of a circumference for the stem coupler?

I've looked at the ITM Millennium online but as fas as I can tell this dimension is not mentioned.

I measured my existing handle bars circumference at the mount point to be
8.5 cm

thank you craig

> I have a 1999 5200 trek I need to replace the handle bars.
>
> Do I have to worry about avoiding bars that have to big of a circumference for the stem coupler?
>
> I've looked at the ITM Millennium online but as fas as I can tell this dimension is not mentioned.
>
> I measured my existing handle bars circumference at the mount point to be
> 8.5 cm
>
> thank you craig

All is revealed at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_h.html#handlebarstem

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Originally posted by Craig
I have a 1999 5200 trek I need to replace the handle bars.

Do I have to worry about avoiding bars that have to big of a circumference for the stem coupler?

I've looked at the ITM Millennium online but as fas as I can tell this dimension is not mentioned.

I measured my existing handle bars circumference at the mount point to be
8.5 cm

thank you craig

Important dimension is diameter not circumference. Dividing your measurement by 3.14 (pi) gives 27.1. Normal 26.0 would have a diameter of 8.2 cm and oversized 31.8 would have a diamenter of 9.9 cm Generally, common sizes 25.8, 26.0 are interchangeable. New bars (oversized) are 31.8 and most have a noticeable bulge in the center. Needless to say these will not fit in older stems.

> Important dimension is diameter not circumference. Dividing your measurement by 3.14 (pi) gives
> 27.1. Normal 26.0 would have a diameter of 8.2 cm and oversized 31.8 would have a diamenter of 9.9
> cm Generally, common sizes 25.8, 26.0 are interchangeable. New bars (oversized) are
> 31.8 and most have a noticeable bulge in the center. Needless to say these will not fit in older
> stems.

excellent info you gave me. I must have been off by 2 mm with the tape I was using. So I got a 26 mm
dia. Nuts I would have liked to try an oversize bar. I wonder if I could find a old style stem with
the 31.8 dia, probably not. I guess treadless is lighter but not enough for me to care.

thanks