New handlebar for threaded headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Craig, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Craig

Craig Guest

I have a 1999 5200 trek I need to replace the handle bars.

Do I have to worry about avoiding bars that have to big of a circumference for the stem coupler?

I've looked at the ITM Millennium online but as fas as I can tell this dimension is not mentioned.

I measured my existing handle bars circumference at the mount point to be
    8.5 cm

thank you craig

Tags:

2. Ted Bennett

Ted Bennett Guest

> I have a 1999 5200 trek I need to replace the handle bars.
    >
    > Do I have to worry about avoiding bars that have to big of a circumference for the stem coupler?
    >
    > I've looked at the ITM Millennium online but as fas as I can tell this dimension is not mentioned.
    >
    > I measured my existing handle bars circumference at the mount point to be
    > 8.5 cm
    >
    > thank you craig

All is revealed at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_h.html#handlebarstem

--
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

3. cycleboy

cycleboy Guest

Important dimension is diameter not circumference. Dividing your measurement by 3.14 (pi) gives 27.1. Normal 26.0 would have a diameter of 8.2 cm and oversized 31.8 would have a diamenter of 9.9 cm Generally, common sizes 25.8, 26.0 are interchangeable. New bars (oversized) are 31.8 and most have a noticeable bulge in the center. Needless to say these will not fit in older stems.

4. Craig

Craig Guest

> Important dimension is diameter not circumference. Dividing your measurement by 3.14 (pi) gives
    > 27.1. Normal 26.0 would have a diameter of 8.2 cm and oversized 31.8 would have a diamenter of 9.9
    > cm Generally, common sizes 25.8, 26.0 are interchangeable. New bars (oversized) are
    > 31.8 and most have a noticeable bulge in the center. Needless to say these will not fit in older
    > stems.

excellent info you gave me. I must have been off by 2 mm with the tape I was using. So I got a 26 mm
    dia. Nuts I would have liked to try an oversize bar. I wonder if I could find a old style stem with
    the 31.8 dia, probably not. I guess treadless is lighter but not enough for me to care.

thanks