new handlebars too large for my old Avocet 50

keithv

Guest
I finally bought a new bicycle and wanted to transfer
my Avocet 50 bike computer over. But the handlebars
are tapered and get wider at the the stem (31.8mm?),
and the standard mount doesn't fit.

Any suggestions?

Keith

Check out <https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/12053/>. This is called the
Control Center and is made by FSA (Full Speed Ahead). It seems exactly for your
purpose. A while ago, I got a plastic thing from Nashbar which clamps to a
handlebar and essentially adds more room to put stuff (lights, computers,
hrms). It came with a rubber shim needed to fit a standard bar. Perhaps without
the shim, it would fit yours. I cannot get to the Nashbar site (or Performance
or Supergo) now. But you might want to check there for other alternatives. But
this one seems right on the money.

keithv wrote:
> I finally bought a new bicycle and wanted to transfer
> my Avocet 50 bike computer over. But the handlebars
> are tapered and get wider at the the stem (31.8mm?),
> and the standard mount doesn't fit.

One option is a Minoura "Space Grip". It is a simple device that
clamps on your handlebar or stem and adds more handlebar space for
computers / lights / bells / whatever else you don't have room for on
your handlebars. I believe there are similar products made by other
companies.

The minoura version is shown here: http://www.minoura.jp/index-et.html

Later,
Mark Muller