New headset and headtube facing

Jy

Guest
I'm about to order a Chris King threadless headset. Any thoughts about installing it myself and
whether I should get the headtube faced? Or should I have both done by the buffoons at the LBS
(clearly I can't face it myself, since I don't have the 8.64 billion dollars to buy the tool).

I notice my old crown race (the bearing surface on the top of the fork) is worn/pitted higher on one
side of the surface than on the other--like the bearings were riding up higher on one side. Maybe a
symptom of non-parallel heatube faces? The old bearing cups seemed properly seated. Thanks.

"Jy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
| I'm about to order a Chris King threadless headset. Any thoughts about installing it myself and
| whether I should get the headtube faced? Or
should
| I have both done by the buffoons at the LBS (clearly I can't face it
myself,
| since I don't have the 8.64 billion dollars to buy the tool).
|
| I notice my old crown race (the bearing surface on the top of the fork) is worn/pitted higher on
| one side of the surface than on the other--like the bearings were riding up higher on one side.
| Maybe a symptom of
non-parallel
| heatube faces? The old bearing cups seemed properly seated. Thanks.

2 things to consider - both relate to the King headset being a significant investment.

If you do have uneven wear, then you almost certainly need to have the head tube faced.

I don't have their warranty in front of me, but I think it requires the use of proper installation
tools (a Park headset tool with King attachments or reasonable facsimile)

If you don't trust those guys to do it, it may be worth your while to travel to another LBS to have
it done. Depends on how far that may be.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/19/2003

---