New Helmet purchase - any recommendations

bfra1

Nov 24, 2003
I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or recommendations.

Currently my decision is based on appearance of the helmet, and I realise that this probably isn't the best way to base a decision on something will will be on my head for long periods.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Originally posted by bfra1
I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or recommendations.

Currently my decision is based on appearance of the helmet, and I realise that this probably isn't the best way to base a decision on something will will be on my head for long periods.

Well, I can only testify to helmets available in the US (most common among them Giro, Bell, Limar, Louis Garneu, and Specialized) -- every helmet on store shelves, whether they be stocked in a discount store or a high-end bike shop, meet the same basic safety standards.

In fact, in terms of pure impact resistance, a lot of the cheapest models on the market out-do the pro-models in tests. The bottom line? Where practicality is concerned, fit and price are just about all that matter. Pricier lids tend to sport more ventilation, but interestingly, are often heavier than the cheapies.

Given that, you're right to be going by looks, assuming you've covered he two bases mentioned above. You want that baby to give you a good feeling when you strap it on and roll out into the world. I'm a big advocate of making sure that your cycling stuff excites you on some level.

You certainly can't go wrong with a Giro Pneumo or Atmos for that Team ONCE or USPS look, or a Bell Ghisallo (my current lid; comparable to the Pneumo at a better price). The Specialized S1 is a tough-looking pro helmet as well. Limar makes particularly classy helmets; if I had to buy a new one right now, I'd buy a Limar F111.

Makes like Met and Catlike, less popular or outright unavailable in the States, seem quite nice.

Have fun choosing!

I'm using a Met Stradivarius for a year and in my opinion it's great! My father is wearing an Ippogrifo for more than 2 years, I tried it once and it's great too!

Francesco

Just like shorts,shoes and a bike,try them on because helmets do wear and feel different.

You have to try on the various models that you like and see which one fits and feels the best. Of course you need to like how the helmet that you choose looks too, but don't make your choice until you've tried them on. Never buy a helmet via mail-order either, unless you've tried on the exact model that you're purchasing at a local shop and you're certain about the size that you need. Going by the manufacturers fit charts isn't such a great idea in my opinion as everyone's head is shaped differently.

Mees hit the nail on the head. Try them on AND WEAR THEM FOR A WHILE! While we don't have MET lids here, I can tell you that I thought the Limar 111 was my next helmet--until I tried it on. Then I tried on a Giro Pneumo, a Specialized S1, a Lazer, and finally a Bell Ghisallo--which fit my head particularly well (not to mention the ease of use of the retention mechanism). Interestingly, I never would have purchased a Bell had I not tried it on as I have had a preconceived negative image of Bell as a result of my first bike helmet--- a circa late 1970's Bell with virtually no ventalation and absolutely no sex appeal.
Helmets are like saddles, though, in that it is very much an individual purchase. Everyone's head is a little different and the one that fits the best might not be the one that looks the best. When I was shopping, I envisioned myself during the last mile of a particularly grueling century and asked which helmet I'd rather have on my head. For me, it was the Ghisallo. Let us know what you got!

Ghisallo is a nice lid, I have a pneumo now, which garners the best praise I can give a lid, I often forget I have it on. I'm going to try an Atmos soon, so maybe it'll better the pneumo, maybe not.

Beware the placement of vents... I get sun through the front of the Pneumo vents and thus tan in those places. So, I have a multicolored forehead! I'd like to see the vents start back a little higher. No hairline jokes please... there's only about 1/2" of recession so far. OK, maybe a little more. :-#

Originally posted by Aztec
Beware the placement of vents... I get sun through the front of the Pneumo vents and thus tan in those places. So, I have a multicolored forehead! I'd like to see the vents start back a little higher. No hairline jokes please... there's only about 1/2" of recession so far. OK, maybe a little more. :-#

Time to break out the SPF 45.

I'm using Mango Flash MTB Blue. I think it looks great and feels great on my head. It is equipped with the millimetre adjustment system called "Run System" to give you the perfect fit. With 28 ventilation holes you will be able to keep a cool head whilst riding. The In Moulding construction keeps the weight down to 260g. Flash MTB comes with a visor.

I just found out that the MET Ippogrifo also comes in my football team colours. I think this helmet is selling itself.

Suppose I'll still try it on first though.

The Atmos is great! Last week while riding a bee flies in headon thru one of the front vents...had I not been wearing a skull cap it would of most likely stung me. Sometime too many vents can be a bad thing - although this has only happened to me once.

Originally posted by chuy
The Atmos is great! Last week while riding a bee flies in headon thru one of the front vents...had I not been wearing a skull cap it would of most likely stung me. Sometime too many vents can be a bad thing - although this has only happened to me once.

I have the same problem with my MET 5th Element in summer - the great ventilation is also a great insect trap. I've also had a bee in there... not what you want when you're flying down a hill at high speed :eek:. I guess its the price we pay for good ventilation though!!

I've had a bee go down my jersey and it stung me under the arm. A sting on the head could be a bit rough.

fortunately I don't have a lot of experience to draw from concerning what brands of helmets are good. but 2 days ago (sunday) I took a hard spill during a race, and my bell ghisallo is the reason I'm now feeding myself instead of someone having to do it for me. broken collar bone, concussion, and knocked unconscious. I'm imagine others out there would also have protected me, but I KNOW the ghisallo did.