new here and question

here2help

Oct 2, 2007
Hey guys. I recently got a commuter bike (Novara Buzz from REI) because I plan on riding it to/from work when the weather here in Phoenix cools off a little more. I'm really out of shape and hope that it will help with that as well.

I went for a ride this weekend and ended up going 16 miles, however after about 4 miles my wrists were getting painful and eventually my hands would get numb. My handle bars are like a mountain bike, straight accross. Would you recommend one of the extra hand holds that attach and angle forward from the bar or should I put a handle bar extender in that will lift the handle bar up a few inches? I think the extender would put my body in a more upright position which would put less weight on my wrists.

Many beginners hold the bars so tight they cut off the circulation to their hands. Could become a problem when it is cold where you are, as you'll get frostbite and not notice.

The remedy is to try and look as far ahead as possible and let the bike go where it wants.

But until you get that level of confidence: whenever you feel a hand going numb take it off and let it hang by your side for a few pedals and then swop and drop the other one.

As always get someone that knows bike fitting such as bike shop.Maybe the seat is tilted too much,maybe the seat is too high,maybe the bike is too big or maybe a new stem would solve the problem.
Too many variables to make a judgement over the net but if you like to experiment you can try a few differnet adjustments and see .
I stll advise getting an experienced person to visually check it out.

Someone I know had the same problem after increasing the amount they normally ride. They had good success by working in tandem with a physiotherapist and someone experienced in bike fit. The problem didn't go away immediately, but it did go away.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com