New Here, and Starting a New Routine :)

AnnMarie

May 10, 2003
I posted this to another one of the forums, that I believe wasn't as good, so I am reposting it here. Thanks!

Hi, I am new here. This past week I took up cycling with the intent to lose weight. I began on Thursday morning by going 2.4 miles around my neighborhood (basically a circle). I did it in about 30 minutes the first day (granted I stopped at a convienance store to get something to drink midway because I was sheerly exhausted), the second day I did it in about 24 minutes, then today I did it in 13 minutes. I was so proud of myself. I am so determined to do this. Today I didn't come back into the house totally out of breath either. It was so great to feel good. I do have a few questions though. Where can I find a good water bottle holder for my bike? Eventually I want to bike a lot longer than just the 2.4 that I am doing now. Also, my butt hurts so bad. I have heard about gel seats. Where is a good place where I can find one? Any good places online? And my final question (if I didn't ask enough already ) is, what kind of clothing/shoes should I get? Right now I am wearing regular shorts/sweats/tshirts, and a pair of old tennis shoes. But, I want to be more comfortable. I am having to fold my inhaler (I have asthma) and cell phone cash into my waist band, and I hate that. So, I'd like to get some good gear to use.

Thanks so much in advance...I really need lots of encouragement here. It's so nice to feel that I am accomplishing something.

Ann Marie

http://www.performancebike.com/
Is a great place to buy bike stuff. Join the team performance membership and get 10% back. This is especially important in the beggining when you have to buy everything.
Bottle holders can be found there also (cages)
As far as the butt thing that is part of the game. Sit a certain way that you are not used to and it hurts. You can try some of there Gel shorts they are okay a little thick. But , trust me it will get better as you condition your rear. You may also want to try a womens specific saddle. More on clothes- they lycra spandex type stuff is great. Better support superior wicking materials. Try some coolmax or similar materials. Much more comfortable. Look into a behind the saddle bag they are great for holding tubes, gels, pumps, patch kit, etc..
well good luck have some safe fun!!

Hi AnnMarie

(off topic post)

If you're worried about bottle holder and going to be training for longer rides, then considder a 'Camelback' or simmilar hydration pack. It doesn't require you feeling down for a bottle, leaves the hands free to steer the bike and usually has handy pockets for a munchie-bar or 2, as well as car keys etc.

AnnMarie,

Hope you enjoy the cycling its a great sport! With regards to saddles, you should try and get a women's saddle and the other women on the site might be able to recomend you a good one. It does take a little time to adjust to time in the saddle, so keep going!

Hi & w/come AnnMarie, don't let the "growing pains" in the beginning get you down, it does get better as MGSuarez said.
Before you start buying stuff remeber to vissit the Dork list, and then do whatever you want to!!!

Hi AnneMarie I remember after doing my 33 mile training ride for the first time my **** was in agony! I nearly had to put it in a sling. As far as equipment goes get a helmet first! Good luck. You'll soon be as fit as a butchers dog. My girlfriend is always complaining that she'd like to lose some pounds from her rear and thighs and do you know what I say to her? Take up cycling cos it works all the right muscles!

Hi Ann Marie.....Like you I took up cycling in the recent past (one year). My first ride was from the Bike Shop to my house (6 blocks). I questioned my sanity as I rode in the drive. I participated in my first Century ride (100 miles) last Sunday and finished watching others being chaufered to town. Sooooo you go girl...!!! Any bike club or local bike shop can advise you on equipment. My best purchase to date...a Camelback...second a floor pump...road bikes loose air pressure easily.

Let us hear about your progress.

AAbye