New here, appreciate some buying advice

uscchamp

May 12, 2011
hello All,

After couple of days of browsing this forum as a guest finally became a member and hope to be active on this cycling forums.

I am 30 yrs old and fairly good shape, although new to the biking.

I am new to cycling and am confused if I have to buy a Hybrid bike or a road bike. I am planning to use the biker for a commute (3 miles majority on pavement, as I don't want to use the road during peak hours and slow down already slow traffic), and around trails ( The trails around my place have nice road and NOT muddy/rough) and probably in Biker events as I get used to the bike eventually.

My main concern is, if I buy a Hybrid bike for comfort, can I do a 100 miler on these when I participate with other road bikes with out being too far behind them?

If I buy a road bike, can use this for commute ? are there any safety concerns with it.

I am looking for some bike where its safe to commute as well as speed enough to do 100 milers and participate in biking events ( NO races though, just causal events)

I am new to cycling and my budget is around $700.00-$900 and would appreciate your response.

I am looking at Trek 7.3 FX and Trek 1.1 or 1.2, I am open for other brands other than Trek but do not know any other good brand though.

I would also appreciate if you could direct me to a good buying guide/references or a newbie FAQ

thanks,
Vick.

Welcome Vick!

If you will only be riding on paved roads and bike paths, then a road bike should work fairly well for you.

But, it also depends on how much "stuff" you need to carry with you on your 3 mile commute. Do you need to have racks on the bike to carry stuff to work, or can you carry that in a backpack?

Hey uscchamp...

You picked a great forum to become active with. I'm pretty new here myself but from what I've seen there are a lot of cool, knowledgable, helpful posters on this forum, but I'm sure you saw that as you watched as a guest.

As for you question... If you intend to commute and are looking for comfort, and may take a trip off road once in a while but nothing too technical... I would suggest a Cyclocross bike rather than a Hybrid. The reason being is this. A cyclocross bike can be used with slick road type tires (although they would be a bit wider than your typical ROAD tire) or you can get some knobby tires as well, that will fuction well in gravel, dirt, etc. Now this is also true on a Hybrid, but a Hybrid has the straight (mountainbike type) handlebars that offer you only one hand position whereas the Cyclocross type bike has road type handlebars that offer a lot of choices for hand positions. This may not seem like a lot... but if you intend to do Centuries (100 mile events) or even long (20, 30, 40 mile) rides, just imagine being in the saddle for that amount of time and not having any options to change position on the bike.

Try looking at bikes like...
The Felt Breed http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Cyclo-X/Cy/Breed.aspx
The Specialized Tricross http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52721&scid=1003&scname=Path%2FGravel

Both these bikes are just about $1000 which I realize is about $100-$150 more than what you were saying you wanted to do for a bike. But I think in the long run you'll be more happy with the multiple hand positions insted of the flatbars. Some will say you could buy a hybrid and then swap out the bars... but by the time you swap out the bars and buy new shifters you'll have spent more than you would if you just bought a CX bike in the first place.

That's just my $0.02

If you get a chance... Follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason" http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by ProdigalCyclist .

Hey uscchamp...

You picked a great forum to become active with. I'm pretty new here myself but from what I've seen there are a lot of cool, knowledgable, helpful posters on this forum, but I'm sure you saw that as you watched as a guest.

As for you question... If you intend to commute and are looking for comfort, and may take a trip off road once in a while but nothing too technical... I would suggest a Cyclocross bike rather than a Hybrid. The reason being is this. A cyclocross bike can be used with slick road type tires (although they would be a bit wider than your typical ROAD tire) or you can get some knobby tires as well, that will fuction well in gravel, dirt, etc. Now this is also true on a Hybrid, but a Hybrid has the straight (mountainbike type) handlebars that offer you only one hand position whereas the Cyclocross type bike has road type handlebars that offer a lot of choices for hand positions. This may not seem like a lot... but if you intend to do Centuries (100 mile events) or even long (20, 30, 40 mile) rides, just imagine being in the saddle for that amount of time and not having any options to change position on the bike.

Try looking at bikes like...
The Felt Breed http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Cyclo-X/Cy/Breed.aspx
The Specialized Tricross http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52721&scid=1003&scname=Path%2FGravel

Both these bikes are just about $1000 which I realize is about $100-$150 more than what you were saying you wanted to do for a bike. But I think in the long run you'll be more happy with the multiple hand positions insted of the flatbars. Some will say you could buy a hybrid and then swap out the bars... but by the time you swap out the bars and buy new shifters you'll have spent more than you would if you just bought a CX bike in the first place.

That's just my $0.02

If you get a chance... Follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason" http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/

+1 for the Cyclocross angle. Definetly an option worth looking into.

Hi Vick, Before you make up your mind, go to your local bike shop (LBS) and tell them what you have told us. Ask them for their recommendation and test ride a couple of hybrids, road bikes, and cross bikes. Ask them to help you determine your size and try to ride bikes that are that size so that you will be able to make a valid comparison. Ask them why they suggest each of their recommendations as it will help you figure out if they are interested in helping you or if they are just trying to sell you a bike. But wait, don't buy a bike from the first shop. Go to several more shops and do the same thing so that you have had the chance to ride a good number of bikes. This will give you a larger pool of bikes to choose from. After you are done, pick the one out of those that you test rode that really stood out as the one you most enjoyed. That is the bike to get. A lot of guys get hung up on bicycle brands but all of the major manufacturers make good bikes and you want the bike that works best for you, regardless of the name that is on it. One thing to consider is that if you have a lot to carry, you might want to look at a bike that has mounting points for a rack. You also need to hold back a little of your stash for such necessities as a helmet, cycling shorts, water bottle, spare tube, flat tire repair kit and some way to carry it.

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

Welcome Vick!

If you will only be riding on paved roads and bike paths, then a road bike should work fairly well for you.

But, it also depends on how much "stuff" you need to carry with you on your 3 mile commute. Do you need to have racks on the bike to carry stuff to work, or can you carry that in a backpack?

I am planning on getting busy this summer with bike riding for mainly charity and social events.
For my 3 -mile commute, I need to carry a laptop and my wallet and I am thinking of a backpack for it as its a short distance I am not anticipating it to be too difficult ( Correct me if I am wrong please)
Also can I ride the bike in office dress ( semi-casuals) OR will I be a laughing stock if I do that ? :) I am completely new to biking so not sure, but I found nice biking route on google maps though :)

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Hi Vick, Before you make up your mind, go to your local bike shop (LBS) and tell them what you have told us. Ask them for their recommendation and test ride a couple of hybrids, road bikes, and cross bikes. Ask them to help you determine your size and try to ride bikes that are that size so that you will be able to make a valid comparison. Ask them why they suggest each of their recommendations as it will help you figure out if they are interested in helping you or if they are just trying to sell you a bike. But wait, don't buy a bike from the first shop. Go to several more shops and do the same thing so that you have had the chance to ride a good number of bikes. This will give you a larger pool of bikes to choose from. After you are done, pick the one out of those that you test rode that really stood out as the one you most enjoyed. That is the bike to get. A lot of guys get hung up on bicycle brands but all of the major manufacturers make good bikes and you want the bike that works best for you, regardless of the name that is on it. One thing to consider is that if you have a lot to carry, you might want to look at a bike that has mounting points for a rack. You also need to hold back a little of your stash for such necessities as a helmet, cycling shorts, water bottle, spare tube, flat tire repair kit and some way to carry it.

I stopped at local Trek shop at lunch time ( short stop) and saw the FX 7.3, did not test drove though, he made me stand up on a bike and said my size is 17.5 and I know I need to work on more measurements and specifics here, but I am planning on deciding the bike first ( road/hybrid), I will stop at couple of LBS this weekend and see what they say and will keep u guys posted.

How much would it cost for the accessories though? I want to get a complete picture on how much I can afford to spend on bike, if I know how much will the mandatory accessories cost.

Thank you all for the replies, its really helping me.

Today I talked to one of my co-workers today and he made me think my hybrid buying decision.
He said he initially bought a hybrid and then next year he bought a road bike and he said road bike is the way to go as its much faster and more FUN :)

He said I might eventually end up buying a road-bike.
I do not want to buy/maintain 2 bikes, my primary goal is to participate in local non-competetive biking events and fun rides at the trails and if possible commute to the office ( this is the last priority though)

I would rather spend more money now and buy a best bike for the situation one time, rather than maintaining two bikes.

I am inclining toward entry level road bike now and looking at :
trek 1.2
CAAD 8 5 105

Is there a big difference between Shimano Sora/Tiagra and 105 ?? can some body explain to me in layman terms if spending 200-400 $ more is worth it for Shimano 105 ?

I am still planning to hit the LBS this weekend and test drive some bikes.

Any other good entry level bike suggestions are welcome too.

I lam still trying to understand cyclocross bikes and will get back on this.

-peace
Vick

I think my post mostly is similar to a post by Tim, we had the same questions. I looked at his thread and it was very helpful, thank you all for the suggestions.

Its like trying to compare a Corolla to a Camry. Sora and Tiagra are good reliable components and would be the Corolla of the group. 105 is the benchmark standard that most cyclist feel you need this would be the Camry.

If you are the type of person who buys a Corolla and feels the need to upgrade to the Camry and trades in his car one year down the road then I would say pony up the extra cash and get the 105 up front.

Tiagra is a very good component group. I have one road bike with full Tiagra and it shifts good. No problems so far and just under 5000 miles on it.

Sora is a good entry level group. I have a 2001 trek 1000 with close to 50,000 miles on it and it is still going.

I have a CAAD 9 with 105 and Ultegra mix. This bikes shifts the bestnand brakes better than the other two. Is the component group worth 500 more than Tiagra? IMO no.

For the amount of riding you are planning on doing Sora and Tiagra are just fine.

Stay within your budget and get everything you need to get started. No need in being a Platinum Card biker right out of the block.

Originally Posted by uscchamp .

I am planning on getting busy this summer with bike riding for mainly charity and social events.
For my 3 -mile commute, I need to carry a laptop and my wallet and I am thinking of a backpack for it as its a short distance I am not anticipating it to be too difficult ( Correct me if I am wrong please)
Also can I ride the bike in office dress ( semi-casuals) OR will I be a laughing stock if I do that ? :) I am completely new to biking so not sure, but I found nice biking route on google maps though :)

I think you'll be fine using a backpack if that's all you'll be carrying. Don't worry about how you look on the bike.....I had a young lady blow past me the other day wearing a business suit, her riding shoes, and she had a briefcase strapped on a rear mounted rack. She was heading for the house! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif