new here...learning to ride again

LilNole

Dec 1, 2004
Hello,

I'm new here and was just looking through the threads and figured I'd say hello. Most college kids dread the freshman 15. I gained weight AFTER college. When I was in college I rode a bike everywhere. I had a Vega. and I had a six pack...I miss that bike and I miss my flat stomach. I got in an accident while riding my bike. I was hit by a car. I was ok but I didnt feel safe riding anymore and I ended up selling it to a local bike shop for parts. I not only broke my bike, but it messed up my confidence in my riding. so I didnt buy a new bike....I went out and bought a car. After graduation, I got sick, and my OB/GYN put me on Depo-Provera...I hate this drug, because it's major side effect is weight gain. no matter what I eat, I still gain weight. The doctor recommended I take up bike riding again. I used to weigh all of 100 lbs and I'm 5'1". now I'm pushing 138 lbs.

so with what little money i have, i bought a cheap bike to start. so if i crash it...i wont feel too bad. when I get better on a bike again, I'll buy a real nice one from my bike shop.

I'm still trying to figure out how to shift gears on this thing. it's a 15 speed. my friend said that most people start in the middle when they are learning how to ride....what does that mean? the middle of where? is it the middle gear on the front and whatever gear on the rear wheel?

and does anyone know of a good quality seat that isnt too expensive? this bike has a real hard cheap seat.

Welcome back to biking! Sorry about your past accident, just remember to also buy (and always use) a helmet. Select a gear that is most comfortable for you to pedal. Go to the following link to learn a little about your gears:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Then scroll down to the bottom of the page for a list of even more bicycle articles. Some of it might seem completely foreign to you, but there is some very good information on Sheldon's site.

About your uncomfortable saddle (seat): everyone's rear end is different. What I think might be the absolute best saddle, others might hate. I had a cheap ($15), cushy, replacement Wal-Mart saddle that was a great improvement over my stock one. My latest mountain bike came equipped with a very thin saddle that I thought would be a nightmare, but it fits me so well that it is by far the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat on. Here's another link for Sheldon's advice on saddles:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Thank you! that website was most helpful. I have a new helmet...a metallic red Bell. and i was wearing a helmet when i got hit...it saved my head. i wont ride anywhere without one.
I saw some really thin saddles at my local bike shop and couldnt believe how comfortable they really are. amazing. they even had ones specially made for women. and some that cost as much as a bike! my old Vega had a gel seat cover that i got at my local bike store for about $12, and it was ok, but on long rides it wasnt comfortable.