New here, need suggestions

AndyAdams

Aug 16, 2012
Hi everyone, I am new to cycling and have only had my bike for about a year. I bought a used 2001 Trek AlphaSL 2200 online and I am slowly upgrading and repairing some things. I have been having trouble with flats lately and I think it is due to the tires and type of surface I ride on. I ride roughly 10 miles per day on city streets in my commute to and from work. There is some debri on the road shoulder such as rocks, sticks, and other. I am looking for a tough tire but nothing that is going to produce a whole lot of resistance. Currently I am running 700x23c but I think I may need a wider tire because I am a bigger guy. I am 6'2" and 210lbs. Can anyone suggest an affordable tire? Thanks for the help and I am sorry if I didn't post this in the proper spot.

Originally Posted by AndyAdams .

Hi everyone, I am new to cycling and have only had my bike for about a year. I bought a used 2001 Trek AlphaSL 2200 online and I am slowly upgrading and repairing some things. I have been having trouble with flats lately and I think it is due to the tires and type of surface I ride on. I ride roughly 10 miles per day on city streets in my commute to and from work. There is some debri on the road shoulder such as rocks, sticks, and other. I am looking for a tough tire but nothing that is going to produce a whole lot of resistance. Currently I am running 700x23c but I think I may need a wider tire because I am a bigger guy. I am 6'2" and 210lbs. Can anyone suggest an affordable tire? Thanks for the help and I am sorry if I didn't post this in the proper spot.
I had a period of flat tires myself once. I don't mind an occasional flat.... that's a part of cycling... but it seemed like I was having a flat every time I turned around. I learned a bit about flats in the process of putting an end to my flat problem. Forgive me if my post seems to ramble.

Weight can play a part with flats. Not that 210 is all that big... I was heavier at the time. If the tire loses air the tube can become pinched between the tire and the rim. The holes can then sometimes look like two snake-bites in the tube... with no damage at all to the tire. When you are a heavy cyclist it is best to keep your tires inflated to at or very near the max pressure recommended for the tires you are using.

But... there are reasons why tires lose air to begin with. It is always important to inspect your tire (inside and outside), tube (rim side and tire side), and rim to identify the reason you had a flat.

A piece of glass or scrap of metal stuck in your tire could repeatedly... continue to puncture tubes until it is removed.
A wore, damaged rim tape (or even one under-rated for the pressure your tires are using) can cause minor little cuts in the tube... easily enough to leak air while riding.

The areas of roads where rain water washes glass and such to can be a true hazards. Riding in gutters... as it is often called... will cause flats. I had to re-think a couple streets on my routes. Just seemed like there was a lot of broken glass on these streets... for no known reason.

They sell thorn resistant tires, tubes, and liners. The liners are plastic strips that go between the tube and tire to protect the tube.
I took to using the thorn resistant tubes with 25c tires. That seems to have ended my flat problem... I haven't had a flat in over 1400 miles.

But the extra thick (and I do mean thick) tubes do have a down side. They have more rolling resistance than do the normal cheapie tubes. And.. as I've lost weight... they make the tire almost seem bouncy... at least that is the way it feels to me.

My next set of tires I will try 23c tires with regular tubes. But I plan on replacing my rim tape with a new plastic strip that will be rated for the higher pressure tires.

I was planning on just buying some cheap tubes but I don't know what kind of tire would be best. Do I need a slick tire like the Hutchinsons that were on the bike when I bought it or do I need more or a city touring tire? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for the help!:)

Originally Posted by AndyAdams .

I... but I don't know what kind of tire would be best.
Nether do I. I don't know why you're having flats. I guess that is what I was trying to post... but didn't really express myself well enough.

Do you really think the cause of your flats are the style/type or brand of tire? The Continental Ultra Gatorskin Tire is generally considered a great hazard and flat resistant tire. But if the flats are being caused by say... maybe you just forget to inflate your tires before cycling... then the new tires won't help. I would recommend you inspect your tires and any damaged tubes. Find out why you are having flats... and then fix the cause.

AndyAdams said:
I was planning on just buying some cheap tubes but I don't know what kind of tire would be best. Do I need a slick tire like the Hutchinsons that were on the bike when I bought it or do I need more or a city touring tire? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for the help!:)
Which Hutchinson tire are you using? To what pressure are you inflating your tires? What do the punctures in the inner tube look like: just one at a time or two which are nearly parallel? Do you run your fingers along the inside of the tire to check for debris before inflating the repaired or new inner tube?

I'm not sure which Hutchinson tires they are but they are red and black. I inflate them to about 120psi each time I ride, I know I need new tires because the front is flat across the tire instead of round and the back has some bad spots in it too. I'm not concerned with having flats, I just want a good tough tire without having to spend $75 each on them.

Problem Solved!
I purchase a set of Continental Gator Skins, new tubes, and some new rim tape. Haven't had so much as a leak. Also, I am down from 210 lbs to 194 lbs. Thanks for the help fellas

AndyAdams said:
Problem Solved! I purchase a set of Continental Gator Skins, new tubes, and some new rim tape.  Haven't had so much as a leak.  Also, I am down from 210 lbs to 194 lbs.  Thanks for the help fellas
well done, the one accessory where you don't need to spare money is on tires, always buy quality tires, it is so much worth the investment, if you find a good deal and buy them cheaper thats another thing,

Originally Posted by vspa .

well done, the one accessory where you don't need to spare money is on tires, always buy quality tires, it is so much worth the investment,
if you find a good deal and buy them cheaper thats another thing,
Agree. Good tires can make a cheap bike feel and ride like a more expensive bike, and bad tires can make a superbike feel and ride like a cheap bike.