New here, training for my first Century

Hoover1112

Jun 5, 2004
Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this place! I live in Maine, and I'll be darned if I can find someone to ride with. They are either waaaay over my level, or they refuse to ride at all. I asked three women in my spinning class last night if they rode on the road, and they all said, "no way, I'd be terrified! My spin bike doesn't fall over or crash." Sigh.
Anyway, it's great to have biker ladies to talk to. :)

I used to ride frequently. About three years ago, I trained for the Trek Across Maine...a three day endurance event. Fun and tiring!! Then I had my daughter, and stopped doing ANYTHING....so here I am, three years later, with a nice ripply layer of body fat, starting from scratch again. I gave myself the goal of doing a non-competitive Century ride at the end of September. Nervous, excited, and motivated to train!!! I've been spinning and doing a little running for the cardio, and I am going to get back out on the road this week.

Do you know of any good websites or books that will give me some good advice on training for this event?

Thanks!
;)

Try googling "century training." I know I've found one that had a schedule for regular centuries and double centuries -- I always keep in mind that my goal is perhaps different from the schedulers since I"m not racing anyb ody.

The main thing is to RIDE. How much time do you have for riding? The less time you spend doing it, the more work you need to put in the riding you do do.

And then, the trick is to find a sociable group that will ccruise from one rest stop to the next.

Find some other rides -- try a metric first (62 mi; 100 km). If you get out to some supported rides you might even find someone or people who will do the century with you.

Oh, and I've had a lot of fun riding with older guys in clubs who don't have to provce anything but really like the exercise.

Originally posted by Hoover1112
Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this place! I live in Maine, and I'll be darned if I can find someone to ride with. They are either waaaay over my level, or they refuse to ride at all. I asked three women in my spinning class last night if they rode on the road, and they all said, "no way, I'd be terrified! My spin bike doesn't fall over or crash." Sigh.

I used to ride frequently. About three years ago, I trained for the Trek Across Maine...a three day endurance event. Fun and tiring!! Then I had my daughter, and stopped doing ANYTHING....so here I am, three years later, with a nice ripply layer of body fat, starting from scratch again. I gave myself the goal of doing a non-competitive Century ride at the end of September. Nervous, excited, and motivated to train!!! I've been spinning and doing a little running for the cardio, and I am going to get back out on the road this week.

Do you know of any good websites or books that will give me some good advice on training for this event?

Thanks!
;)

Hoover1112 said:
Hi all,

Thanks!
;)
HI, where in Maine are you? I'm in Southern Maine....

Iona said:
HI, where in Maine are you? I'm in Southern Maine....
Hi girls, just wanting to share...I'll be doing my first Century this Sat. Although I feel prepared, did spinning all winter and put lots of miles in this summer including a metric,,,my biggest problem is my feet burn! I know,,weird, I have asked many people to no avail. I've taken my inserts out,tried w/socks, no socks...,,I have a fairly good clippless shoe, but when I go long,,hot hot babe!!!! Any QUICK idea's?? Hot here in Jersey!!!!!!! Hey,,,,Maine should be a little cooler!!!!!!!! Maybe I should just move...lol

Hi, It's great to meet you! I want to do a century, but probably next year for me. I just started riding for the first time last summer. I haven't been able to do too many real long distances, as most of my miles are while pulling my toddler.

I have found a GREAT group of ladies here to ride with, we call ourselves the MOB (Matrons on Bikes). All 30+ and SO much fun to ride with. Hopefully you can find someone to buddy up with in your area, it's so much fun!

Good luck on those centuries everybody!

Good luck! Unfortunately, it was very hot here in Maine over the weekend - upper 80's with 90% humidity making it feel like the mid 90's, when I took part in a 75 mile event. I'm very fair and ended up with heat exhaustion when my GI system shut down and wouldn't let me take in any water!! So, be careful with those fluids and electrolytes!!

As for shoes and feet... would bigger shoes help? My feet get terribly hot and a little swollen, so I'm planning to buy a half size bigger next time.

Let us know how you get on!:)

swanygirl said:
Hi girls, just wanting to share...I'll be doing my first Century this Sat. Although I feel prepared, did spinning all winter and put lots of miles in this summer including a metric,,,my biggest problem is my feet burn! I know,,weird, I have asked many people to no avail. I've taken my inserts out,tried w/socks, no socks...,,I have a fairly good clippless shoe, but when I go long,,hot hot babe!!!! Any QUICK idea's?? Hot here in Jersey!!!!!!! Hey,,,,Maine should be a little cooler!!!!!!!! Maybe I should just move...lol

Iona said:
Good luck! Unfortunately, it was very hot here in Maine over the weekend - upper 80's with 90% humidity making it feel like the mid 90's, when I took part in a 75 mile event. I'm very fair and ended up with heat exhaustion when my GI system shut down and wouldn't let me take in any water!! So, be careful with those fluids and electrolytes!!

As for shoes and feet... would bigger shoes help? My feet get terribly hot and a little swollen, so I'm planning to buy a half size bigger next time.

Let us know how you get on!:)
Karen,,,how neat is that you were able to hook up with gals your age. I for one am 41, bike with my hubby, and also a girlfriend who taught me the in's and out's of biking!!! Good luck with your group,,yes it is fun having a riding partner.
Iona,,,wow,,,on your ride you had trouble with,,,did you stop drinking?? I read once that your suppose to drink before your thirsty, and eat before your hungry. (so I try t keep that in mind). I also stock up on power gels which also seem to help.
As for my century this weekend, it looks like it will be a hot one as well. Im not concerned about the heat,,,as much as I am just finishing and pacing myself. I'd like to finish with a good time, and hopfully do more! I have never had to use my "two foot gear",,but its nice to know that its there!!!
My shoes feel fine, until I go long,,I dont know if a bigger size would help,,,or maybe even a wider size,,,but surly something I need to look into. So thanks for your advice,,,I'll drop a line after my ride on Sat. I am quiet excited about it and hope I do well. Thanks again, swany

I ride with my husband, too. But I do like to ride on my own...

As for hydration... I drank - and always drink a lot (a couple of gallons a day) - I also had gatorade, jam sarnies, bananas, etc... Because of the heat, the Dr. tells me, the water in the blood was being used to cool me down and this was effecting my ability to digest foods as my blood was in demand elsewhere. I find it very difficult to sit in sunny weather - let alone ride! Thus, at the fifty mile mark I could barely digest any fluids - since my GI system had just shut down. So, afterwards I wasn't able to re-hydrate, hence the IV!

Hey, and there's nothing wrong with using those smaller gears. I'm way over-geared and plan on maybe having a substitute compact double or a triple for those hillier, longer rides.

Good luck,
I

swanygirl said:
Karen,,,how neat is that you were able to hook up with gals your age. I for one am 41, bike with my hubby, and also a girlfriend who taught me the in's and out's of biking!!! Good luck with your group,,yes it is fun having a riding partner.
Iona,,,wow,,,on your ride you had trouble with,,,did you stop drinking?? I read once that your suppose to drink before your thirsty, and eat before your hungry. (so I try t keep that in mind). I also stock up on power gels which also seem to help.
As for my century this weekend, it looks like it will be a hot one as well. Im not concerned about the heat,,,as much as I am just finishing and pacing myself. I'd like to finish with a good time, and hopfully do more! I have never had to use my "two foot gear",,but its nice to know that its there!!!
My shoes feel fine, until I go long,,I dont know if a bigger size would help,,,or maybe even a wider size,,,but surly something I need to look into. So thanks for your advice,,,I'll drop a line after my ride on Sat. I am quiet excited about it and hope I do well. Thanks again, swany

swanygirl said:
I was so glad to find the women, as I was tired of trying long rides always alone. I do ride with my 10 yo son but he's already getting too fast for me (he's just started racing). My husband is almost 300 lb and refuses to pedal more than around the block a couple of times.

Wish I lived closer to some of you ladies!