New here

chainsaw6

Jun 28, 2013
HI My real name is Don, I live in western Canada, I started logging a lot of miles with my Nakamira steel bike last year and the year before, this year I went out and got a lite Canondale, originally I had a road bike with carbon fibre frame etc, Then I woke up and got some reality. When I went to pick it up I realized the error, the owner of the bike shop could not have treated me better, I had had all kinds of equipment put on the bike, When I offered to pay for the transition to the new new bike he would hear

Lets just say that at 63 I do not have the body one would see on a carbon fibre bike.

I ride on the highways when there are good shoulders, I average 50km per ride every other day, my speed is usually about 30km per hour ( since I got the new boots and clicker pedals), I ride early morning.

I am presently sitting in Maine with a concussion afer being hit by a truck mirror on week ago.

Originally Posted by chainsaw6 .

HI My real name is Don, I live in western Canada, I started logging a lot of miles with my Nakamira steel bike last year and the year before, this year I went out and got a lite Canondale, originally I had a road bike with carbon fibre frame etc, Then I woke u, In am p and got some reality. When I went to pick it up I realized the error, the owner of the bike shop could not have treated me better, I had had all kinds of equipment put on the bike, When I offered to pay for the transition to the new new bike he would hear

Lets just say that at 63 I do not have the body one would see on a carbon fibre bike.

I ride on the highways when there are good shoulders, I average 50km per ride every other day, my speed is usually about 30km per hour ( since I got the new boots and clicker pedals), I ride early morning.

I am presently sitting in Maine with a concussion afer being hit by a truck mirror on week ago.

I posted the above and then started looking around, I found that I stumbled into a pro riders forum, I had no idea you required so much technical information just to ride, I presumed that you got a bike that fit you, have reliable technician and go, I have no idea as to what type my gears are, I just know they work for me etc.

Sorry to waste your time reading my boring dribble.
Don

Getting a concussion from a passing truck mirror is rarely 'boring'.

Originally Posted by chainsaw6 .

Thats got to have hurt, seems like you're very lucky!

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Originally Posted by [/COLOR]chainsaw6[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] [/COLOR] HI My real name is Don, I live in western Canada, I started logging a lot of miles with my Nakamira steel bike last year and the year before, this year I went out and got a lite Canondale, originally I had a road bike with carbon fibre frame etc, Then I woke u, In am p and got some reality. When I went to pick it up I realized the error, the owner of the bike shop could not have treated me better, I had had all kinds of equipment put on the bike, When I offered to pay for the transition to the new new bike he would hear

I posted the above and then started looking around, I found that I stumbled into a pro riders forum, I had no idea you required so much technical information just to ride, I presumed that you got a bike that fit you, have reliable technician and go, I have no idea as to what type my gears are, I just know they work for me etc.

Sorry to waste your time reading my boring dribble.
Don
There is nothing boring about your unfortunate episode ...

Glad you are able to pen the post ...

BTW. I know two people who were similarly impacted by a truck mirror [I did not see either incident] ...

• one is a 'better' rider who did not fall AND/OR he may have only been slightly grazed (by comparison)
  • the other individual suffered some permanent brain damage (however, based on his personality, I would say it was possibly karmic) ... I do not believe that he was wearing a helmet

Your head-bashing account should be detailed in the "Is Road Cycling Dangerous?" thread. Good luck with your recovery.

Hey Guys me Mark.Me from Australia.Nice forum having much information about various topics.Can any one tell me that what's the difference between mountain biking and cycling?

Hey friends i am liya new to this forum.I really interested to know more about biking and cycling.

Hi Mark and welcome! I'm alsno new here, but I can tell you the difference between mountain biking and cycling. The basic difference is that cycling is done on the road, and mountain biking is more or less done in woods of off-terrain areas.

hi everyone
i am new login to this forum.
i am sorry becasue i know little english.:(
i want to learn more information the about bike.

Thats the thing people don't realize about cycling on highways etc. Your very vulnerable. Thats why riding a cheap bike like a CCM on city bike paths is probably the better way to ride because you take away the danger of the highway. If more people would just ride cheap bikes that make You work harder then a 25 km ride is the equivalent to a 100 km ride on an expensive no friction carbon model.

Be safe... ride cheap stay off the street.

Hillrider said:
Thats the thing people don't realize about cycling on highways etc. Your very vulnerable. Thats why riding a cheap bike like a CCM on city bike paths is probably the better way to ride because you take away the danger of the highway. If more people would just ride cheap bikes that make You work harder then a 25 km ride is the equivalent to a 100 km ride on an expensive no friction carbon model. Be safe... ride cheap stay off the street.
That makes no sense at all. First, you can get a hard work out on any functional bike just by pedaling harder. Simple. Second, cyclists are legally entitled to the streets--except where expressly prohibited--and cyclists should and do avail themselves of said streets and do so very safely.

[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]hello i am senton i am from [/COLOR]calgary [COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]new to this forum.I really interested to know more about biking and cycling.[/COLOR]
This is my blog

Originally Posted by alienator .

That makes no sense at all. First, you can get a hard work out on any functional bike just by pedaling harder. Simple. Second, cyclists are legally entitled to the streets--except where expressly prohibited--and cyclists should and do avail themselves of said streets and do so very safely.
Legal entitlement means nothing. Just because its legal doesnt mean its safe. Is it legal for the truck driver to ram the guy with his truck mirror?

A tougher workout is using a cheaper bike that has more friction it makes you work harder in a shorter distance. Therefore it is possible to get a better workout from a cheap bike than an expensive one.

You should strap some 12 inch blocks to your legs and ride for a half a mile. That should do it.

"You should strap some 12 inch blocks to your legs and ride for a half a mile. That should do it."

Woah! That's poor advice and 'dangerous' advice at that!

Always advise folks to start with 8" block and work their way up to 12". Especially if they are on a cheap bike.

Thats a good idea. Except that it would be uncomfortable against your legs. A better idea is to fill the tires with water instead of air and also embed lead into the pedals.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]You should strap some 12 inch blocks to your legs and ride for a half a mile. That should do it."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Woah! That's poor advice and 'dangerous' advice at that![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Always advise folks to start with 8" block and work their way up to 12". Especially if they are on a cheap bike.[/COLOR]
I guess that's true. Hos about just strapping a cheap hooker to the handle bars. It will increase the load and fit the styling of the bike.