New hill for GPLama

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by TimC, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. TimC

    TimC Guest

    Dear Lama,

    Jono L and I found you a new hill.

    A bunch of us went up the 1:20. Brief chatting ensued, and then we
    headed off down The Cresent to Belgrave. It started drizzling on the
    way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
    Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
    confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
    the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.
    There is a crest, and then the next 3km is apparently listed at 9%.
    But we figured that must be including the crests, flats, and
    downhills, and reckon the substantial up bits were more like 14%.

    Of course, the road had a fine layer of wet. Just enough to dislodge
    the oil, so we had a bit of a power equiliser. Put too much pedal
    down, and you go for a spin. As such, in my triple, and for the
    steeper sections (I wasn't the only guy with a triple, so I felt
    justified using it :), I was spinning quite a lot -- damn them rubino
    pros. There was one bit where I span two consequetive pedal
    revolutions. I knew that if the wheel didn't grab then, I was going
    down backwards, and would never get back up. There were quite a few
    sections where I zigzagged my way up, missing the obvious oil patches,
    and trying to get a slightly lesser gradient. I also deliberately
    span the wheel a few times to put on a show for the passing cagers
    (mostly 4WDs) :)

    There were about 4 or so guys who walked, and maybe 3 or 4 of us who
    made it up. One of the walkers had a 23 on the back as his lowest. A
    27 is probably the minimum ideal gear to take this.

    A puncture on the way down 1:20 -- I felt the wheel doing something
    irregular, but didn't notice the flat until after I had rounded quite
    a few corners. Glad it survived. One guy helped out, and the others
    only waited 10 minutes at the bottom before it started raining again,
    and they rode off. But we caught them waiting for a train crossing :)

    Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
    zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
    degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
    steep?

    --
    TimC
    >> Imagine what a tipped over tractor-trailer formerly
    >> full of potatoes looks like.

    > Not half as messy as a truckload of oranges.

    Or a hovercraft full of eels. -- Tanuki on ASR

    Tags:

  2. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Nah i think this hill is too steep for Shane, enfact i don't recommend it for anyone:D muahhahaha.

    Yeh that was one bitch of a hill. Honestly steeper than yarra st, and just kept going and going and going.

    PS: Lama boy, i'm getting closer to you on the 1/20, you better head out and widen the gap.

    PPS: Congrats Shane on destroying Dona.

  3. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    After 188kms and 3770m of upness this weekend, I don't want to even think about any more hills... until tomorrow..

    They need to start a www.wheelsucker2max.com, c2m is becoming very polluted with non-solo efforts. :rolleyes:

  4. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Ain't no one else powering those pedals.

  5. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Power output calculation goes out the window though.. Getting a descent time is fun, but looking at the actual power output on a climb is the interesting part.

    I guess the same could be said about doing a climb with a very strong tail wind.. but it would still be a false indication of performance.

  6. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    I don't mean to come across as 'he who knows best...' I guess everyone has their own goals.. and as long as they involve going up hills and getting off Beach Rd, its all good :)

  7. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    oh yeh, all good. But could you do me a favour and stop riding up them hills so fast?? please?:p

  8. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    I'm only just warming up, pity the weather isn't doing the same!.... there is a few more W left to put in my legs up the 1:20.... as always, more training required... humph..

    Given your return form (and your bloody age!) you'll be smashing us all over the place in no time.. while the rest of us are researching which carbon fibre wheelchairs and walking sticks to order from probikekit ;)

  9. "TimC" wrote:

    > way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
    > Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
    > confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
    > the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.

    Ooh! Brave man Tim.

    Terrys Ave pretty much ranks as the steepest sealed road in Melbourne. I've
    never tried to ride UP it, riding down is scary enough. As you come down the
    last 500m you seem to be looking vertically down on the shop rooves in
    Belgrave. I reckon the full length of Terrys would almost rank as a h'ors
    category climb
    <snip>

    > Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
    > zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
    > degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
    > steep?

    For another very steep climb, maybe part gravel at the top, try Mast Gully
    Rd. I once combined a climb of this with the Terrys Ave descent on club tour
    just to thrill the members :))

    Over in The Basin there's a sealed descent I've done on Government Rd into
    Old Forest Rd that is also stupidly steeep.

    Cheers
    Peter

  10. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Nooo! You can all stay on Beach Rd. I like the hills quite:rolleyes: Speaking of, I thought Donna was on Saturday. How about that Hooks rd then? I thought it looked silly steep. Never seen Terrys Av though. 'Old Warburton rd' is a good way to mix up a double. Hit it from the Melb end. I reckon 'The Nongs' is the hill version of 'Beach rd'. Some great climbs, just too many riders & cars for me.

  11. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-19, Peter Signorini (aka Bruce)

    > "TimC" wrote:
    >
    >> way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
    >> Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
    >> confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
    >> the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.

    > Ooh! Brave man Tim.
    >
    > Terrys Ave pretty much ranks as the steepest sealed road in Melbourne. I've
    > never tried to ride UP it, riding down is scary enough. As you come down the
    > last 500m you seem to be looking vertically down on the shop rooves in
    > Belgrave. I reckon the full length of Terrys would almost rank as a h'ors
    > category climb
    > <snip>

    There's a rumour that people have attained 100km/h down it, but there
    are far too many sidestreets for me to want to attempt that. Now if
    you could control all the intersections, shut off traffic everywhere,
    and have marshals all the way down with radios straight to your
    earpiece, to tell you "there's a rider down, 500m ahead, you better
    start slowing down *now*" :)

    And perhaps a giant net at the bottom of the roundabout to catch you
    when your brakes fail :)

    Now for the ultimate climb, we should all head over for an excursion
    to Dunedin, Enb Zed. Claimed to have the steepest paved road anywhere
    in the world -- ~30%. Do it on a dry day so your wheels don't go for
    a spinning :)

    --
    TimC
    Chairman: I'm glad to see so many bright-eyed and bushy-tailed people

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-19, gplama (aka Bruce)

    > Jono L Wrote:
    >> Ain't no one else powering those pedals.

    > Power output calculation goes out the window though.. Getting a descent
    > time is fun, but looking at the actual power output on a climb is the
    > interesting part.
    >
    > I guess the same could be said about doing a climb with a very strong
    > tail wind.. but it would still be a false indication of performance.

    The power calculation is going to be most accurate when you don't have
    any wind and tire resistance. Then it's just Mgh/t. You minimise
    tire resistance by going slow, which of course won't be useful, except
    up Terrys avenue :), and you minimise wind resistance by going slow or
    drafting someone, or getting a tailwind that is exactly the same speed
    you are going.

    Or just get a SRM :)

    --
    TimC
    "`Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.'" -THHGTTG

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    That's my theory. minimise tire resistance :D:D:D

    Now that I'm not playing single parent no more, I can finally start riding some more and watch y'all dissapear on the next BR whilst I 'minimise tire resistance'
    :rolleyes:

  14. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    hey are you guys going to bag/write letters to the pro's doing the Time Trial at the commonwealth games because they are riding on Beach Road ???

    I can just see a bunch of guys waiting at an un-manned corner ready to draft the riders as they go past......

    when I am off my tablets... i'm coming out hill riding with you guys again, I want that feeling I had at the top of the first climb what ever it is called, when I almost fainted at the top.

  15. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    If they called it a 'Hill climb' then yes! :)

  16. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-19, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
    > hey are you guys going to bag/write letters to the pro's doing the
    > Time Trial at the commonwealth games because they are riding on Beach
    > Road ???

    Hell yeah. If they were real cyclists, they'd be racing somewhere in
    the Dandenongs, or Donna Buang, or Baw Baw or Kinglake or something.
    None of this puncy beach road stuff.

    > when I am off my tablets... i'm coming out hill riding with you guys
    > again, I want that feeling I had at the top of the first climb what
    > ever it is called, when I almost fainted at the top.

    You weren't trying hard enough! You're meant to spew, and *then*
    faint :)

    --
    TimC
    Just keep in mind that when you are using TRANSFER, you are not

  17. ray

    ray Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > Dear Lama,
    >
    > Jono L and I found you a new hill.
    >

    > A bunch of us went up the 1:20. Brief chatting ensued, and then we
    > headed off down The Cresent to Belgrave. It started drizzling on the
    > way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
    > Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
    > confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
    > the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.
    > There is a crest, and then the next 3km is apparently listed at 9%.
    > But we figured that must be including the crests, flats, and
    > downhills, and reckon the substantial up bits were more like 14%.
    >
    > Of course, the road had a fine layer of wet. Just enough to dislodge
    > the oil, so we had a bit of a power equiliser. Put too much pedal
    > down, and you go for a spin. As such, in my triple, and for the
    > steeper sections (I wasn't the only guy with a triple, so I felt
    > justified using it :), I was spinning quite a lot -- damn them rubino
    > pros. There was one bit where I span two consequetive pedal
    > revolutions. I knew that if the wheel didn't grab then, I was going
    > down backwards, and would never get back up. There were quite a few
    > sections where I zigzagged my way up, missing the obvious oil patches,
    > and trying to get a slightly lesser gradient. I also deliberately
    > span the wheel a few times to put on a show for the passing cagers
    > (mostly 4WDs) :)
    >
    > There were about 4 or so guys who walked, and maybe 3 or 4 of us who
    > made it up. One of the walkers had a 23 on the back as his lowest. A
    > 27 is probably the minimum ideal gear to take this.
    >

    > A puncture on the way down 1:20 -- I felt the wheel doing something
    > irregular, but didn't notice the flat until after I had rounded quite
    > a few corners. Glad it survived. One guy helped out, and the others
    > only waited 10 minutes at the bottom before it started raining again,
    > and they rode off. But we caught them waiting for a train crossing :)
    >

    > Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
    > zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
    > degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
    > steep?

    That's nothing. Try Mast Gully Rd in Upwey, it's a real stinker. I tried
    it once, could barely walk up it, let alone ride. Melway 75 C5 is the
    killer section. Good luck.

  18. ray

    ray Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > Dear Lama,
    >
    > Jono L and I found you a new hill.
    >

    > A bunch of us went up the 1:20. Brief chatting ensued, and then we
    > headed off down The Cresent to Belgrave. It started drizzling on the
    > way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
    > Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
    > confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
    > the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.
    > There is a crest, and then the next 3km is apparently listed at 9%.
    > But we figured that must be including the crests, flats, and
    > downhills, and reckon the substantial up bits were more like 14%.
    >
    > Of course, the road had a fine layer of wet. Just enough to dislodge
    > the oil, so we had a bit of a power equiliser. Put too much pedal
    > down, and you go for a spin. As such, in my triple, and for the
    > steeper sections (I wasn't the only guy with a triple, so I felt
    > justified using it :), I was spinning quite a lot -- damn them rubino
    > pros. There was one bit where I span two consequetive pedal
    > revolutions. I knew that if the wheel didn't grab then, I was going
    > down backwards, and would never get back up. There were quite a few
    > sections where I zigzagged my way up, missing the obvious oil patches,
    > and trying to get a slightly lesser gradient. I also deliberately
    > span the wheel a few times to put on a show for the passing cagers
    > (mostly 4WDs) :)
    >
    > There were about 4 or so guys who walked, and maybe 3 or 4 of us who
    > made it up. One of the walkers had a 23 on the back as his lowest. A
    > 27 is probably the minimum ideal gear to take this.
    >

    > A puncture on the way down 1:20 -- I felt the wheel doing something
    > irregular, but didn't notice the flat until after I had rounded quite
    > a few corners. Glad it survived. One guy helped out, and the others
    > only waited 10 minutes at the bottom before it started raining again,
    > and they rode off. But we caught them waiting for a train crossing :)
    >

    > Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
    > zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
    > degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
    > steep?

    That's nothing. Try Mast Gully Rd in Upwey, it's a real stinker. I tried
    it once, could barely walk up it, let alone ride. Melway 75 C5 is the
    killer section. Good luck.

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-19, ray (aka Bruce)
    > TimC wrote:
    >> Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
    >> zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
    >> degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
    >> steep?
    >>

    > That's nothing. Try Mast Gully Rd in Upwey, it's a real stinker. I tried
    > it once, could barely walk up it, let alone ride. Melway 75 C5 is the
    > killer section. Good luck.

    Going north or south?

    Next time, depending on legs, I might be up for the start of terrys
    road, the sepentine, mast gully road.

    That area is crazy.

    --
    TimC
    >You seem to be implying here that one gets rich after gaining a PhD?

    Of course one does. The other 99 out of a hundred get bitter.
    -- Paula responding to TimC on ARK

  20. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-19, ray (aka Bruce)