New hill for GPLama

TimC

Guest
Dear Lama,

Jono L and I found you a new hill.

A bunch of us went up the 1:20. Brief chatting ensued, and then we
headed off down The Cresent to Belgrave. It started drizzling on the
way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.
There is a crest, and then the next 3km is apparently listed at 9%.
But we figured that must be including the crests, flats, and
downhills, and reckon the substantial up bits were more like 14%.

Of course, the road had a fine layer of wet. Just enough to dislodge
the oil, so we had a bit of a power equiliser. Put too much pedal
down, and you go for a spin. As such, in my triple, and for the
steeper sections (I wasn't the only guy with a triple, so I felt
justified using it :), I was spinning quite a lot -- damn them rubino
pros. There was one bit where I span two consequetive pedal
revolutions. I knew that if the wheel didn't grab then, I was going
down backwards, and would never get back up. There were quite a few
sections where I zigzagged my way up, missing the obvious oil patches,
and trying to get a slightly lesser gradient. I also deliberately
span the wheel a few times to put on a show for the passing cagers
(mostly 4WDs) :)

There were about 4 or so guys who walked, and maybe 3 or 4 of us who
made it up. One of the walkers had a 23 on the back as his lowest. A
27 is probably the minimum ideal gear to take this.

A puncture on the way down 1:20 -- I felt the wheel doing something
irregular, but didn't notice the flat until after I had rounded quite
a few corners. Glad it survived. One guy helped out, and the others
only waited 10 minutes at the bottom before it started raining again,
and they rode off. But we caught them waiting for a train crossing :)

Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
steep?

--
TimC
>> Imagine what a tipped over tractor-trailer formerly
>> full of potatoes looks like.

> Not half as messy as a truckload of oranges.

Or a hovercraft full of eels. -- Tanuki on ASR

Nah i think this hill is too steep for Shane, enfact i don't recommend it for anyone:D muahhahaha.

Yeh that was one ***** of a hill. Honestly steeper than yarra st, and just kept going and going and going.

PS: Lama boy, i'm getting closer to you on the 1/20, you better head out and widen the gap.

PPS: Congrats Shane on destroying Dona.

Jono L said:
PS: Lama boy, i'm getting closer to you on the 1/20, you better head out and widen the gap.

PPS: Congrats Shane on destroying Dona.

After 188kms and 3770m of upness this weekend, I don't want to even think about any more hills... until tomorrow..

They need to start a www.wheelsucker2max.com, c2m is becoming very polluted with non-solo efforts. :rolleyes:

gplama said:
They need to start a www.wheelsucker2max.com, c2m is becoming very polluted with non-solo efforts. :rolleyes:
Ain't no one else powering those pedals.

Jono L said:
Ain't no one else powering those pedals.

Power output calculation goes out the window though.. Getting a descent time is fun, but looking at the actual power output on a climb is the interesting part.

I guess the same could be said about doing a climb with a very strong tail wind.. but it would still be a false indication of performance.

I don't mean to come across as 'he who knows best...' I guess everyone has their own goals.. and as long as they involve going up hills and getting off Beach Rd, its all good :)

oh yeh, all good. But could you do me a favour and stop riding up them hills so fast?? please?:p

Jono L said:
oh yeh, all good. But could you do me a favour and stop riding up them hills so fast?? please?:p

I'm only just warming up, pity the weather isn't doing the same!.... there is a few more W left to put in my legs up the 1:20.... as always, more training required... humph..

Given your return form (and your bloody age!) you'll be smashing us all over the place in no time.. while the rest of us are researching which carbon fibre wheelchairs and walking sticks to order from probikekit ;)

"TimC" wrote:

> way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
> Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
> confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
> the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.

Ooh! Brave man Tim.

Terrys Ave pretty much ranks as the steepest sealed road in Melbourne. I've
never tried to ride UP it, riding down is scary enough. As you come down the
last 500m you seem to be looking vertically down on the shop rooves in
Belgrave. I reckon the full length of Terrys would almost rank as a h'ors
category climb
<snip>

> Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
> zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
> degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
> steep?

For another very steep climb, maybe part gravel at the top, try Mast Gully
Rd. I once combined a climb of this with the Terrys Ave descent on club tour
just to thrill the members :))

Over in The Basin there's a sealed descent I've done on Government Rd into
Old Forest Rd that is also stupidly steeep.

Cheers
Peter

gplama said:
I don't mean to come across as 'he who knows best...' I guess everyone has their own goals.. and as long as they involve going up hills and getting off Beach Rd, its all good :)
Nooo! You can all stay on Beach Rd. I like the hills quite:rolleyes: Speaking of, I thought Donna was on Saturday. How about that Hooks rd then? I thought it looked silly steep. Never seen Terrys Av though. 'Old Warburton rd' is a good way to mix up a double. Hit it from the Melb end. I reckon 'The Nongs' is the hill version of 'Beach rd'. Some great climbs, just too many riders & cars for me.

On 2006-02-19, Peter Signorini (aka Bruce)

> "TimC" wrote:
>
>> way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
>> Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
>> confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
>> the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.

> Ooh! Brave man Tim.
>
> Terrys Ave pretty much ranks as the steepest sealed road in Melbourne. I've
> never tried to ride UP it, riding down is scary enough. As you come down the
> last 500m you seem to be looking vertically down on the shop rooves in
> Belgrave. I reckon the full length of Terrys would almost rank as a h'ors
> category climb
> <snip>

There's a rumour that people have attained 100km/h down it, but there
are far too many sidestreets for me to want to attempt that. Now if
you could control all the intersections, shut off traffic everywhere,
and have marshals all the way down with radios straight to your
earpiece, to tell you "there's a rider down, 500m ahead, you better
start slowing down *now*" :)

And perhaps a giant net at the bottom of the roundabout to catch you
when your brakes fail :)

Now for the ultimate climb, we should all head over for an excursion
to Dunedin, Enb Zed. Claimed to have the steepest paved road anywhere
in the world -- ~30%. Do it on a dry day so your wheels don't go for
a spinning :)

--
TimC
Chairman: I'm glad to see so many bright-eyed and bushy-tailed people

On 2006-02-19, gplama (aka Bruce)

> Jono L Wrote:
>> Ain't no one else powering those pedals.

> Power output calculation goes out the window though.. Getting a descent
> time is fun, but looking at the actual power output on a climb is the
> interesting part.
>
> I guess the same could be said about doing a climb with a very strong
> tail wind.. but it would still be a false indication of performance.

The power calculation is going to be most accurate when you don't have
any wind and tire resistance. Then it's just Mgh/t. You minimise
tire resistance by going slow, which of course won't be useful, except
up Terrys avenue :), and you minimise wind resistance by going slow or
drafting someone, or getting a tailwind that is exactly the same speed
you are going.

Or just get a SRM :)

--
TimC
"`Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.'" -THHGTTG

TimC said:
The power calculation is going to be most accurate when you don't have
any wind and tire resistance. Then it's just Mgh/t. You minimise
tire resistance by going slow, which of course won't be useful, except
up Terrys avenue , and you minimise wind resistance by going slow or
drafting someone, or getting a tailwind that is exactly the same speed
you are going.

That's my theory. minimise tire resistance :D:D:D

Now that I'm not playing single parent no more, I can finally start riding some more and watch y'all dissapear on the next BR whilst I 'minimise tire resistance'
:rolleyes:

flyingdutch said:
That's my theory. minimise tire resistance :D:D:D

Now that I'm not playing single parent no more, I can finally start riding some more and watch y'all dissapear on the next BR whilst I 'minimise tire resistance'
:rolleyes:
hey are you guys going to bag/write letters to the pro's doing the Time Trial at the commonwealth games because they are riding on Beach Road ???

I can just see a bunch of guys waiting at an un-manned corner ready to draft the riders as they go past......

when I am off my tablets... i'm coming out hill riding with you guys again, I want that feeling I had at the top of the first climb what ever it is called, when I almost fainted at the top.

On 2006-02-19, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
> hey are you guys going to bag/write letters to the pro's doing the
> Time Trial at the commonwealth games because they are riding on Beach
> Road ???

Hell yeah. If they were real cyclists, they'd be racing somewhere in
the Dandenongs, or Donna Buang, or Baw Baw or Kinglake or something.
None of this puncy beach road stuff.

> when I am off my tablets... i'm coming out hill riding with you guys
> again, I want that feeling I had at the top of the first climb what
> ever it is called, when I almost fainted at the top.

You weren't trying hard enough! You're meant to spew, and *then*
faint :)

--
TimC
Just keep in mind that when you are using TRANSFER, you are not

TimC wrote:
> Dear Lama,
>
> Jono L and I found you a new hill.
>

> A bunch of us went up the 1:20. Brief chatting ensued, and then we
> headed off down The Cresent to Belgrave. It started drizzling on the
> way down, and we were taking it... rather cautiously. Then back up
> Terrys Avenue. As soon as you round the roundabout, you are
> confronted (make sure you are in your bottom gear before you get off
> the roundabout) with a 600m long 19% gradient, according to cycle2max.
> There is a crest, and then the next 3km is apparently listed at 9%.
> But we figured that must be including the crests, flats, and
> downhills, and reckon the substantial up bits were more like 14%.
>
> Of course, the road had a fine layer of wet. Just enough to dislodge
> the oil, so we had a bit of a power equiliser. Put too much pedal
> down, and you go for a spin. As such, in my triple, and for the
> steeper sections (I wasn't the only guy with a triple, so I felt
> justified using it :), I was spinning quite a lot -- damn them rubino
> pros. There was one bit where I span two consequetive pedal
> revolutions. I knew that if the wheel didn't grab then, I was going
> down backwards, and would never get back up. There were quite a few
> sections where I zigzagged my way up, missing the obvious oil patches,
> and trying to get a slightly lesser gradient. I also deliberately
> span the wheel a few times to put on a show for the passing cagers
> (mostly 4WDs) :)
>
> There were about 4 or so guys who walked, and maybe 3 or 4 of us who
> made it up. One of the walkers had a 23 on the back as his lowest. A
> 27 is probably the minimum ideal gear to take this.
>

> A puncture on the way down 1:20 -- I felt the wheel doing something
> irregular, but didn't notice the flat until after I had rounded quite
> a few corners. Glad it survived. One guy helped out, and the others
> only waited 10 minutes at the bottom before it started raining again,
> and they rode off. But we caught them waiting for a train crossing :)
>

> Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
> zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
> degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
> steep?

That's nothing. Try Mast Gully Rd in Upwey, it's a real stinker. I tried
it once, could barely walk up it, let alone ride. Melway 75 C5 is the
killer section. Good luck.

On 2006-02-19, ray (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
>> zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
>> degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
>> steep?
>>

> That's nothing. Try Mast Gully Rd in Upwey, it's a real stinker. I tried
> it once, could barely walk up it, let alone ride. Melway 75 C5 is the
> killer section. Good luck.

Going north or south?

Next time, depending on legs, I might be up for the start of terrys
road, the sepentine, mast gully road.

That area is crazy.

--
TimC
>You seem to be implying here that one gets rich after gaining a PhD?

Of course one does. The other 99 out of a hundred get bitter.
-- Paula responding to TimC on ARK

On 2006-02-19, ray (aka Bruce)