New hill for GPLama

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-02-19, ray (aka Bruce)
>
>>TimC wrote:
>>
>>>Heh. There's a road out there called "Back Road". Oooh, a very
>>>zigzaggy road (Melways shows a resistor symbol, complete with 135
>>>degree turns) called "The Serpentine". Do you reckon that would be
>>>steep?
>>>

>>That's nothing. Try Mast Gully Rd in Upwey, it's a real stinker. I tried
>>it once, could barely walk up it, let alone ride. Melway 75 C5 is the
>>killer section. Good luck.

> Going north or south?
>
> Next time, depending on legs, I might be up for the start of terrys
> road, the sepentine, mast gully road.
>

> That area is crazy.

It sure is. I think I can add a tougher one as well. When you're nutty
enough, have a crack at the upper reaches of Don Rd at Millgrove, near
Warburton. The final section up to the aqueduct is a doozy.
For sheer steepness and length, however, I still have recollections of
Haast Pass in South Island NZ, though that, at the time at least, was
partly gravel as well.
I recently came down Cape Clear Rd to Woady Yaloak Creek south of
Ballarat, at 60 k/mh with a touring load and met a sharp right turn at
the bottom. The brakes failed and I sailed into the scrub, fortunately
without injury or damage. Don't we have fun?
Cheers,
Ray.

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Now for the ultimate climb, we should all head over for an excursion
> to Dunedin, Enb Zed. Claimed to have the steepest paved road anywhere
> in the world -- ~30%. Do it on a dry day so your wheels don't go for
> a spinning :)

I am not sure of the gradient but I was up in Bandiana once for work (Near
Wodonga) and went for a run up the hill to the North of the Army barracks
there (can't remember its name but it had a nice trig point and information
centre thingy at the top). The road that goes to the top starts on the
Southern side and is dirt for a while as it loops around to the Northern
side. I then hit a section of a couple hundred metres that was paved and
very steep. There was a light rain and I had made a pact to myself to run
all the way to the top without stopping and by this stage I was pretty
stuffed. The sealed surface was quite rough but it was so steep that I was
actually losing traction with my runners every step I took. I eventually
managed to get to the top by taking little dolly steps but it was bloody
steep. I had been running for just over an hour and couldn't be stuffed
running all the way back so I then cut straight down the cow paddock on the
Southern side of the hill and back to the main road.

Gags

ray said:

That's nothing. Try Mast Gully Rd in Upwey, it's a real stinker. I tried
it once, could barely walk up it, let alone ride. Melway 75 C5 is the
killer section. Good luck.
My boss bought five bikes for him, his wife and three kids for Christmas. I kind of feel sorry for them because they live just off Mast Gully Rd and everytime we talk about them going for a bike ride he always finishes off telling me about their ride and trying to find the easiest way to get home. Apparently which ever way they go the road just gets so step they need to walk. I just keep telling him that it will get easier. :)

I can vaguely remember that barracks from when my dad was stationed
near there. I was in grade three when we moved from Wodonga, so I can't
remember much. I think we went to Bandiana for a Christmas do for kids
- All I can remember now that I think of it is very steep hills
straight off the main road. Very steep and looked like a painting, I
thought at the time.
Thanks for the vague childhood memory rerun, Gags.

If your new to an area and want to find out where the good hills are then go and have a chat to the local concrete truck drivers. They will tell you where the good hills area because they will be avoiding them at all costs.

Have a chat to Roy who works at Hanson croydon, he was a pro for many years and being a concrete truck driver as well he would know where all the good hills are in the eastern suburbs from a riders point of view.