Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

new hub for an old wheel

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 523 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 February 2005
Last activity
24 February 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
523
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I just inherited a gem of a wheel. It's a rear Superbe Pro Hub laced
    to a Mavic GEL280 rim with Hoshi bladed spokes. It's 28hole, 2x both
    sides. The wheels looks to have been barely ridden; there is no wear
    on the rims.

    My question is could I take the wheel apart and relace the rim and
    spokes to another hub. I'd like to race on it, but use Shimano 9spd.

    I'm sure this presents issues, of spoke length. I'd like to relace it
    to an Ultegra hub.

    Thanks.

  2. [email hidden said:

    "]Hello,

    I just inherited a gem of a wheel. It's a rear Superbe Pro Hub laced
    to a Mavic GEL280 rim with Hoshi bladed spokes. It's 28hole, 2x both
    sides. The wheels looks to have been barely ridden; there is no wear
    on the rims.

    My question is could I take the wheel apart and relace the rim and
    spokes to another hub. I'd like to race on it, but use Shimano 9spd.

    I'm sure this presents issues, of spoke length. I'd like to relace it
    to an Ultegra hub.

    Thanks.

    You can do it if the hub accepts bladed spokes.
    I advise you to keep the spokes in the same relative position on the new hub.
    Spoke holes are 44.5 mm diameter on the Suntour and 44 mm on Shimano. Shimano has more separation on the flanges.... so the spoke length may be an issue.
    You can always do a spoke calculation and compare.
    sheldonbrown.comspocalc.xls
    is a good place.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.