New Hybrid for a clueless guy.

Khayban

Jan 13, 2014
Thanks for reading this and for any advice offered. I need to buy a new bike soon and I have a bit of a dilema . I don't really know much about detailed specs of kit so when I am trying to decide which bike gives better value for the money I get lost. I spend the majority of my time on fair tarmac surfaces but often like to do mild off road paths such as bridal ways ( although in future I would like to try some more adventurous off road) and my main motivation for biking at the moment is fitness and fun. I do in the region of 70+ miles per week. I have been led down the hybrid route as this seems the best option for me and my current requirements ( I couldn't find a hybrid section to post in) and have managed to narrow my search down to a few bikes I like the look of. If anyone could give me any help and advice with my final decision I would be very grateful. Here is a link to the 8 bikes I have narrowed it down to ( it is a well regarded British bike retail chain): http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/hybrid-bikes/f/ridgeback/unisex#!Number%20of%20Gears=18,27,24,20;Brake%20Type=Hydraulic%20Disc;Brand=Trek,Cannondale,Lapierre,Scott,Specialized,HOY;Wheel%20Size=700c%20Wheel!price_from=550;price_to=651;on_sale=;sort=asc; I can't decide if a rigid forks will suit my off road needs or not, and i like the versatility of having a lock out front if you need it. That aside I just really want to get the best bike for my budget of £550 - £600 . Thanks in advance.

Quote: Originally Posted by Khayban
I can't decide if a rigid forks will suit my off road needs or not, and i like the versatility of having a lock out front if you need it. That aside I just really want to get the best bike for my budget of £550 - £600 .

There is "off road" and "off road" ...

I love "Hybrid" frames ...

BUT, a Hybrid is not really intended for much more than packed gravel or occasionally rough graded (
once a year) "fire"/(logging) roads ...

This is NOT definitive ...

IMO, there is a general misunderstanding about what a "Hybrid" bike is ...

Based on MY observation, a "Hybrid" bike was originally a TOURING frame (a Road frame which had the "new" Cantilever Brake bosses on the frame & fork instead of a Road bike which had long reach brake calipers) which was assembled & sold with "(also) new(ly available)" FLAT, MTB handlebars ...

Hence, a "Hybrid" bike was originally a marketing label to categorize a Road bike which had MTB's handlebars & MTB brake levers.

The (unnecessary) option of inexpensive Suspension Forks were more of a marketing addition, IMO, which followed the consumer demand for inexpensive MTBs which satisfied the "need" of those who didn't know any better ...

• You know, if you can charge MORE while satisfying the less informed buyer, then why not?

Regardless, FWIW, 'I' recommend that you ALWAYS choose a RIGID Fork with a Hybrid rather than ANY low-end Suspension Fork ...

WHY PAY MORE?

If you think you will be traversing terrain which would benefit from a Suspension Fork, then you should probably choose a Hardtail 29er with a reasonably good Suspension Fork ...

And then, have a second set of tyres for when you are riding on the broken, Tow Path surface which you anticipate encountering.

FYI. I know that a 700x52 (
29er) tyre will fit in most Rigid Forks (sans fender) which have either Cantilever Brake bosses or a disc brake mount ... even a Rigid Fork intended for most 26er's will accommodate a 700x52 tyre ...

• the exception would be a CX fork ...

So, if you find a need for more buoyancy in the front, then I think that a 700x52 tyre would be the future option to consider ...

You CAN fit a 700x52 tyre (you'll need a sufficiently sized tube, too, of course) on a Hybrid wheel's 700c rim ...

Some/Many older SPORTS TOURING frames could handle 700x52 tyres ...

I do NOT know if any current Hybrid frames can also accept a 700x52 tyre ... probably, but maybe not.