New idea , does it work ?

kooper

Aug 7, 2012
Hello everybody

We are a group of engineers and designers who are attending summerschool at copenhagen university this year. We are working on a project which is about improving the experience of using a bicycle. We have choosen that the group that we focus on is elderly cyclist preferably between 55-70. Therefore we would like to hear your opinion concerning our idea which is to combine a cycle with a trolley. The basic concept is that you have the opportunity to turn the cycle into a trolley/shopping cart by moving the back wheel into the front. The drawings illustrates the concept. What we whould like to hear is you opinion about the project and any suggestions on how to improve the concept would be much appreciated

Attachments

• img-807122755-0001.jpg
    img-807122755-0001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • img-807122634-0001.jpg
    img-807122634-0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Originally Posted by kooper .
.... the group that we focus on is elderly cyclist preferably between 55-70.
It is an interesting idea.... but cyclist are still pretty active at age 70. I wouldn't consider 70 as elderly for cyclists.

I don't see the concept improving the cycling experience at all. The bicycle still has to be locked up, and then it has to be taken apart to use as a trolley. Contrast that with a regular bike. With a regular bike, you have to also lock the bike up, but then you're free to shop right away. When you're done, you only have to load the panniers, rack, or backpack. Likewise, I don't see your sketches improving at all on cargo bikes. Cycling for the masses is something that should be pretty simple, and the traditional bicycle is already pretty simple. By adding a trolley function, you complicate the design--something that can turn off the casual or utility cyclist--and you add failure modes.

Yes, 55 is not elderly and 70 seems less elderly every day. This site is inhabited by hardcore or those that perceive they are harcore cyclist and do not relate to utilitarian uses of a bike.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

..... those that perceive they are harcore cyclist and do not relate to utilitarian uses of a bike.
I guess that's it! I have a backpack I use when my cycling errands require me to carry more than a jersey pocket can handle. I know I am what the OP considers... elderly. But my age hasn't been a limiting factor for me yet.