New JimmyMac Registered Trademark T-Shirts



S

skip

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

skip wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> Johnny NoCom wrote:



<Snip Johnny NoCo not good natured fun stuff>

> Skip, Ed D, Tom Sherman:


>
> "If you really believe that last one, "Humps...", is "good natured

fun"
> explain it to me. I'm willing to listen, but I just don't get it."
> Slow Joe Recumbo
>
>
> No Joe. I would not call any of the suggested T-shirt slogans good

natured.
> As far as fun goes it has to be an adolecent kind of fun. Monkey

Island
> fun. I'm sorry Joe, but you can't have Johnny NoCom arrested for

arrested
> development.
>
> As far as explaining it goes, perhaps you would be in a better

position to
> explain it than I would since you told me you kept up with Monkey

Island
> shenanigans and posted there. That would not be something I have

done.
>
> skip
>
> P.S. And many thanks to you Joe for posting this to every bike group

"in
> the known universe".


Joe Wrote:

Yo Skip,

I never suggested having NoCom arrested. Nope. And I didn't say I kept
up with Monkey Island shenanigans. Just visited there and checked it
out now and then. Visited. Exited.

Skip responds:
The arrested thing was an attempt to impress Ed D. with my sly humor. Sorry
to bother you with that.

Your Monkey Island comment to me on the "Curious why do you continue to stay
with ARBR" thread was: "I read all the groups, including Monkey Island (old
and new). And yah, I'm not just a lurker at Monkey Island."

I interpeted that to be more than what you say now was just an occasional
check out visit and quick exit.


Joe wrote:
As for "...posting this to every bike group 'in the known universe' " I
know ot of what you speak. I've only posted this to arbr. Does it get
picked up by other newsgroups, etc?


Skip Responds:
Check the headers of your original message. You cross posted to all the
bike groups. When Cletus was with us he taught us to hate people who did
that. But I forgive you for you know not what you have done.

What newsreader are you using? It doesn't attribute your qoutes and
therefor requires all the Joe said Skip said **** if your post is to be
responded to piecemeal. I'm sure Joao could explain it. What a valuable
resource he has turned out to be for BROL (even though he thinks he has to
post his best work on arbr because Bryan wouldn't want it on brol).

Joe said:
Wishing you and yours a sincere Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Cheers

And skip responds:
And I wish you a sincere Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I just love expressing politically incorrect sentiments like this (but I
really do mean it).

skip
 
E

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Joao de Souza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> Heck, you can call me a Broily Goil if you want to
>> and I'll chuckle.

>
> Must.... refrain.... from... saying... it..... ;)
>
>> And if
>> anyone thinks that last line of NoCom's referencing Jimmy's mother is
>> funny, I'm still waiting for someone to explain the punch line.

>
> Like you said, there is such thing as offensive humor that, when done
> right, can be funny as hell. George Carlin like you mention is usually
> very offensive on stage, AND he's very funny. Same with many other
> comedians out there. There is also the issue of who the audience is.
> Heck, on rec.martial-arts we are mostly friends, yet we occasionally
> (okay, make that all the time) insult one another but in a way that we're
> sure the others will get the joke. But some people just don't quite get
> it. They think that if some offensive behavior is funny, then *all*
> offensive behavior must be funny. And the more offensive it is, then the
> funnier it must be. Just say a bad cuss word, or insult someone's family
> members, and they laugh themselves silly.
>
> The way I look at it, your behavior online is a reflection of your real
> persona. So those who come online just to insult others I compare with
> the crazy guy in the subway who keeps on insulting everyone around while
> laughing occasionally. Then I pay as much attention to them as I would the
> crazy subway guy. Works for me.


Joao, I can certainly agree with most of what you say. However, offensive
humor eventually becomes quite tiresome and as a result loses all of it's
impact. Trust me on this. Calling others every name in the book gets quite
old quite fast and before you know it it has no impact at all. There is
never any substitute for intelligence. In order to properly insult someone,
great intelligence is required. I refer you to the greatest wit of all time
in the English Language - Oscar Wilde. I am a piker in this realm, but I do
recognize genius when I see it. Oscar Wilde was a genius. Johnny NoCom is no
genius. However, he is not bad for ARBR. The thing that is remarkable to me
is his enthusiasm.

George Carlin is not as funny as most imagine him to be. He grows very
tiresome once you figure out where he is coming from. But humor is the most
perishable of all the temperaments. It is time bound for sure and it's very
limited in what it can achieve. That is why I prefer drama. Drama is
eternal and is good for thousands of years.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
 
S

skip

Guest
"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
>
> As far as explaining it goes, perhaps you would be in a better position to
> explain it than I would since you told me you kept up with Monkey Island
> shenanigans and posted there. That would not be something I have done.
>


Joe:

Kurt has given us the explanation I was looking for which I quote here (he
has a knack for being able to show off his intelligence in a really nice
way):

"True, but IMO this doesn't work as an excuse. I can see now that the
special Monkey Island Humor is *intended* as good natured ribbing, but
on MI there was a certain context for this humor _and_ a knowing
audience - let's talk about insider fun.

On ARBR and other newsgroups this context is lacking, so the "jokes"
turn out annoying and offending for most part of the readers.

On the other hand, nobody is forced to read offending messages in
usenet. A single poster is easily filtered and clicked away, technically
or mentally. What a luck... sometimes. ;-)"
 
E

Edward Dolan

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

skip wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

[...]
> As far as explaining it goes, perhaps you would be in a better

position to
> explain it than I would since you told me you kept up with Monkey

Island
> shenanigans and posted there. That would not be something I have

done.
>
> skip
>
> P.S. And many thanks to you Joe for posting this to every bike group

"in
> the known universe".


Yo Skip,

I never suggested having NoCom arrested. Nope. And I didn't say I kept
up with Monkey Island shenanigans. Just visited there and checked it
out now and then. Visited. Exited.

As for "...posting this to every bike group 'in the known universe' " I
know not of what you speak. I've only posted this to arbr. Does it get
picked up by other newsgroups, etc?

Wishing you and yours a sincere Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Cheers

Slow Joe Recumbo

Edward Dolan wrote:

And the same to you Slow Joe Recumbo.

--
Best Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

PS. Be sure to check the newsgroups field when you post. I have mis-stepped
on that too. We do not want to cross post here on ARBR. We are just too good
for the rest of the slobs out there in Usenet-land.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
 
J

Johnny NoCom

Guest
Ed,
You are the GrandMaster of the A.R.B.R. cyclinigarts dojo. It will take years of study to match your honorable wit.

He Who Knows Others Is Wise. He Who Knows Himself Is Enlightened. He Who Rides Real Fast Is On A NoCom. -Tao Te Ching


Holiday Cheers,
Johnny NoCom
 
E

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Kurt Fischer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>> The "Humps" comment is rather mild compared to what was regularly posted
>> about BROL principals on the now defunct Monkey Island, not to mention
>> some of the pictures and links posted (typically deviant and explicit
>> sexual material).

>
> True, but IMO this doesn't work as an excuse. I can see now that the
> special Monkey Island Humor is *intended* as good natured ribbing, but
> on MI there was a certain context for this humor _and_ a knowing
> audience - let's talk about insider fun.
>
> On ARBR and other newsgroups this context is lacking, so the "jokes"
> turn out annoying and offending for most part of the readers.
>
> On the other hand, nobody is forced to read offending messages in
> usenet. A single poster is easily filtered and clicked away, technically
> or mentally. What a luck... sometimes. ;-)
>
>
> Kurt


Extremely well said Kurt.

I simply can't believe that English is not your first language. You write it
better than anyone I know. I am in awe of you.

We Americans are total idiots when it comes to languages other than English.
I think it is because we possess a continent and there is not much reason to
bother with another language. However, that may be changing as we are being
flooded with Hispanics from Central and South America.

But I continue to believe that English is eventually going to become the
language of all mankind. This is contingent of course on America continuing
to be the only super power in the world.

I do believe every newsgroup creates it own separate culture over time and
that the intrusion into this culture by an alien culture will be resented by
the regulars of the group. It is really quite curious why Johnny NoCom does
not realize this. I have always tried to fit into this newsgroup even though
I am fairly contentious. I am a social being despite the fact that I am a
hermit.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
 
E

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Johnny NoCom" <Fastest Stock Bike in the Known [email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Ed,
> You are the GrandMaster of the A.R.B.R. cyclinigarts dojo. It will take
> years of study to match your honorable wit.
>
> He Who Knows Others Is Wise. He Who Knows Himself Is Enlightened. He Who
> Rides Real Fast Is On A NoCom. -Tao Te Ching
>
>
> Holiday Cheers,
> Johnny NoCom


I have resolved not to get into it with my other Ed (Johnny NoCom).I
appreciate him for what he is doing and I think he may appreciate me for
what I am doing. We are at different ends of the universe with respect to
recumbents. However, we are both grand masters and we need our own space.
We both agree that ARBR needs to be spiced up. The only sin in Usenet
posting is to be dull.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Edward Dolan wrote:

> ...
> Mr. Sherman seems to be a defender of the Monkey Islanders. I suspect that
> is because he has had a personal relationship with Ed Gin....


Sometimes people who do not know Ed Gin find him offensive and/or
arrogant. Monkeys know better and laugh with him (and make fun of Ed in
good humor).

--
Tom Sherman
 
L

Larry Varney

Guest
Tom Sherman wrote:
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> ...
>> Mr. Sherman seems to be a defender of the Monkey Islanders. I suspect
>> that is because he has had a personal relationship with Ed Gin....

>
>
> Sometimes people who do not know Ed Gin find him offensive and/or
> arrogant. Monkeys know better and laugh with him (and make fun of Ed in
> good humor).
>


Why would anyone find Ed Gin offensive and/or arrogant? What has he posted
that could possibly fall into those categories?

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Larry Varney wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>> ...
>>> Mr. Sherman seems to be a defender of the Monkey Islanders. I suspect
>>> that is because he has had a personal relationship with Ed Gin....

>>
>>
>>
>> Sometimes people who do not know Ed Gin find him offensive and/or
>> arrogant. Monkeys know better and laugh with him (and make fun of Ed
>> in good humor).
>>

>
> Why would anyone find Ed Gin offensive and/or arrogant? What has he
> posted that could possibly fall into those categories?


See <http://www.ihpva.org/pipermail/trikes/2000q1/000784.html>. A case
of mistaken identity, but an example nonetheless.

--
Tom Sherman