New Kestrel Talon...good and bad...

lasombra

Jul 17, 2007
The very best of the good is that the Selle Initiale seat does NOT put my penis to sleep thereby allowing me to concentrate further on my riding skills and less on what my lover may think at some imaginary point in the future. The seat is narrow and thinly padded but very comfortable for me.....this supports the position that padding does not equal comfort. For some reason the FSA bars and Shimano Flightdeck brakes want to put my right hand to sleep..only my right hand?..need to play with the turn.
The bike is very light, fast and quick turning...and it climbs like a rocket...well balanced...I'm able to "throw" it while climbing without any reluctance. It is very smooth on smooth pavement...much more so than my steel CIOCC....but it IS stiff and has a relatively short wheel base and does not handle driveways, potholes or rough pavement nearly as well...it gives much more of a shock. I weight 160 lbs. and this frame is STIFF....it feels as though all of the stroke is transmitted directly to the pavement....very nice....none of that creaking flex of old. Sounds like one of the cables is rattling inside the frame? Need to check.

More later......thanks all

lasombra For some reason the FSA bars and Shimano Flightdeck brakes want to put my right hand to sleep..only my right hand?..need to play with the turn. More later......thanks all[/QUOTE said:
Maybe try adjusting the position of the bars, sounds like your grip is cutting the circulation off. Also, do you have a decent set of gloves?

Post a pic on the other thread! The comm. would like to see it.

lasombra said:
The very best of the good is that the Selle Initiale seat does NOT put my penis to sleep thereby allowing me to concentrate further on my riding skills and less on what my lover may think at some imaginary point in the future. The seat is narrow and thinly padded but very comfortable for me.....this supports the position that padding does not equal comfort. For some reason the FSA bars and Shimano Flightdeck brakes want to put my right hand to sleep..only my right hand?..need to play with the turn.
The bike is very light, fast and quick turning...and it climbs like a rocket...well balanced...I'm able to "throw" it while climbing without any reluctance. It is very smooth on smooth pavement...much more so than my steel CIOCC....but it IS stiff and has a relatively short wheel base and does not handle driveways, potholes or rough pavement nearly as well...it gives much more of a shock. I weight 160 lbs. and this frame is STIFF....it feels as though all of the stroke is transmitted directly to the pavement....very nice....none of that creaking flex of old. Sounds like one of the cables is rattling inside the frame? Need to check.

More later......thanks all
The cable slaps inside the top tube of my Talon only over large bumps. I read other owners comment on that before buying so it was expected. I've grown accustomed to it so I don't pay much attention to it anymore.

JTE83 said:
Hey, post a pic of it! I got a 2005 Blue one Ultgra 9 Ksyrium SLs.
JT! Wish I could post a pic....maybe soon....no camera....camera's and motorcycles went with the divorce....the bike was important to get going again...bought it from Ebay....John Valella at Bikesmithy in Chicago! Very happy at this point.....go to Ebay....road bikes....whole bikes and frames.... then Kestrel and there should be several photos....I did buy a 2006 closeout....good traveling.....

I did add two 1 1/2" PVC extensions into the ends of the handlebar...this to give a little more hand space...these I wrapped in NASUA silicon tape( Home Depot) and replugged....this is the BEST handlebar tape I have ever used there is NO residue and it remains pliable forever....this additional hand space helps on longer distance rides..I am able to rest my hands on the drop downs...good traveling

ilmooz said:
The cable slaps inside the top tube of my Talon only over large bumps. I read other owners comment on that before buying so it was expected. I've grown accustomed to it so I don't pay much attention to it anymore.
Ilmooz , Thank you very much for letting me know the rattle is not serious...buen viaje....good traveling and good on Ya! This bike is FAST!!! Doing a 60 in the Morn....Van Fleet Trail here in Central Florida...can't wait....Thanks

WIGGUM1 said:
lasombra For some reason the FSA bars and Shimano Flightdeck brakes want to put my right hand to sleep..only my right hand?..need to play with the turn. More later......thanks all[/QUOTE said:
Maybe try adjusting the position of the bars, sounds like your grip is cutting the circulation off. Also, do you have a decent set of gloves?

Post a pic on the other thread! The comm. would like to see it.
Don't have pics ....bought from John Vallela...Cyclesmithy..Chicago...many pics on EBAY....got a 52 Dark Blue Kestrel....Ultegra and FSA...Shimano H550 wheelsset.....hoping to upgrade wheels and crank in time.....any ideas on most EFFECTIVE Talon upgrades....for me so far this bike is very sweet...

Wiggum..Thanks ....doing a first 60 on this bike in the morn will play with bar adjust....got good cloves Pearl Izumi's.....Good Traveling..

I also bought my 52cm Kestrel Talon F & F from Cyclesmithy. I think $1215 for the F & F. Custom built it with parts. The Kestrel would look really beautiful with Campy Eurus or 2008 Campy Shamal Ultra titanium wheels. And my camera was stolen.

Still doing LSD....

Long Slow Distance...for me....did the Van FLeet Trail yesterday here in Central Florida....first long ride (relative)..for the Kestrel and any new bike for me in probably 25 years. Left at 5AM...makes for about 1 hour of riding time in the dark...wonderful wonderful wonderful....The trail is 30 miles South and 30 back...only three intersections (3) total all country and slow...much of it is thru the WIthlacoochee National Forest....there is virtually NO developement...places like this are becoming scarce here...I did the 60 miles in about 4 1/2 hours...certainly not fast but wonderful nontheless...the Kestrel is SO functional...smooth and quiet...and light...at the 45 mile point I noticed MUCH less pain and fatigue so much so that I was able to push hard the last 5 miles...Tho I'm old school(and old literally) I will never be able to go back to old tech .....need to work...thanks all....more later