New kit

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. The Unfit family travelled to Cheshunt today as there was a Bike Promotions event with lots of stuff
    supposedly going cheap. Nathan discovered that as far as his father is concerned, when it comes to
    bikes, one can never, but never, have too much "stuff".

    Did get some bargains. Got a waterproof/windproof jacket that actually fits Fatbirdonabike at the
    extremely reasonable price of under 20 squid. Mostly yellow, little bit of black & a fair amount of
    reflective stuff. Vernon got himself one the same. Got Nathan a yellow shower cape thinggie, to keep
    with him in his rack box for the school run, so if it happens to be raining when he cycles home from
    school, he won't be getting too wet. Got some panniers for my bike which look quite good. Stocked up
    on Isostar powder as it was considerably cheaper than I can get round home.

    The sad bit of the day is the fact that the paving slab fairy has discovered something even more
    disgusting in term of attire than the dreaded b*bs ...

    Remember "bomber jackets" of the 1970's? Vernon bought this *thing* for a fiver and it is truly the
    most hideous thing I have ever seen. A sort of satin jacket of a design and colour combination that
    looks the the vomit of someone on a bad LSD trip. Nathan just fell about laughing and *insisted* his
    Dad buy it and wear it, just to see the look on my face ;-) Reminds me of something a ninety year
    old cyclist bought in the 70's as it was the height of fashion and still wears it now as he refuses
    to buy anything else. Vernon insists that the jacket is such bad taste, it makes it good taste. He
    is wrong. I feel another target for paving slabs is in the offing - and scissors too.

    When we got home this evening, Vernon & I got the bikes out and went out for a ride. Nathan stayed
    at home - he found it impossible to do anything else, as he was suffering from a case of hysterical
    laughter at the sight of his father in a particularly awful jacket of pink, purple, yellow, red,
    black & yellow satin... with his mother desparately trying to cycle well away from her supposed
    better half. As vernon & I cycled off down the lane, the barely suppressed giggles & snorting of a
    teenage boy trailed off into the distance. My son is mentally scarred for life ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Unfit family travelled to Cheshunt today as there was a Bike
    Promotions
    > event with lots of stuff supposedly going cheap. Nathan discovered that as
    far

    Ah, I went there today too, bought a few items but was unable to find what I really wanted - a
    cycling jersey in less than garish colours! A bit of bright yellow flourescent and reflective stuff
    - ok, good even, but bright yellow all over - no thanks! The rest were even worse. Who really wears
    this stuff anyway? They had a couple of nice unobtrusive grey ones in the ladies section but I
    decided to give them a miss!

    Rich

  3. >Ah, I went there today too, bought a few items but was unable to find what I really wanted - a
    >cycling jersey in less than garish colours! A bit of bright yellow flourescent and reflective stuff
    >- ok, good even, but bright yellow all over - no thanks! The rest were even worse. Who really wears
    >this stuff anyway?

    My husband :p

    Personally I like yellow as, when cycling, it is a high-viz colour and I work on the theory that if
    some pr*t in a cage knocks me off my bike & tries the SMIDSY routine, I give his lawyers no chance
    to suggest contributory negligence!

    >They had a couple of nice unobtrusive grey ones in the ladies section but I decided to give
    >them a miss!

    But I bet you look good in a dress ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. peter

    peter Guest

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:14:50 +0100, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> The Unfit family travelled to Cheshunt today as there was a Bike
    >Promotions
    >> event with lots of stuff supposedly going cheap. Nathan discovered that as
    >far
    >
    >Ah, I went there today too, bought a few items but was unable to find what I really wanted - a
    >cycling jersey in less than garish colours! A bit of bright yellow flourescent and reflective stuff
    >- ok, good even, but bright yellow all over - no thanks! The rest were even worse. Who really wears
    >this stuff anyway? They had a couple of nice unobtrusive grey ones in the ladies section but I
    >decided to give them a miss!
    >
    >Rich

    Missed out on the bomber jacket then Rich ? :)

    Regards,

    Pete

  5. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Personally I like yellow as, when cycling, it is a high-viz colour and I
    work
    > on the theory that if some pr*t in a cage knocks me off my bike & tries
    the
    > SMIDSY routine, I give his lawyers no chance to suggest contributory negligence!

    I like yellow too, and am quite happy to have some of it on my cycling jerseys, indeed I have a
    jacket for wet/cold wear that is all flourescent-yellow. But I don't like quite so much of it on my
    cycling jerseys - I have a reflective vest to put on top for that.

    > >They had a couple of nice unobtrusive grey ones in the ladies section but I decided to give them
    > >a miss!
    > >

    > But I bet you look good in a dress ;-)

    Maybe, not that I've tried, but I couldn't ride my bike in one!

    Rich

  6. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    <snip>
    > Ah, I went there today too, bought a few items but was unable to find what
    > really wanted - a cycling jersey in less than garish colours!

    Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ have some. I bought a short sleeve Endura one in Royal blue for
    about £12. Its OK and doesn't seem to smell too badly after use.

    In my experience MTB stuff is far more restrained. Some road stuff looks like an explosion in a
    paint factory.

    Is that why cyclists wear shades all the time?

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Is that why cyclists wear shades all the time?
    >
    > Helps to keep cold air out of the eyes, reducing the nasty problem of eyes watering.

    Oh I knew that one, nothing to do with it looking cool either ;-)

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Personally I like yellow as, when cycling, it is a high-viz colour and I work on the theory that
    > if some pr*t in a cage knocks me off my bike & tries the SMIDSY routine, I give his lawyers no
    > chance to suggest contributory negligence!

    There was a case a few years ago of a 4WD driver doing just this. After knocking a cyclist off, the
    driver claimed contributory negligence because the cyclist's yellow top blended in with the sun that
    had been shining in his eyes.

    ISTR reading about it in C+. I'd search Google to see if I could find the story on www, but I'm
    going to bed instead.

    Thomas Paine

  9. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> The Unfit family travelled to Cheshunt today as there was a Bike
    > Promotions
    >> event with lots of stuff supposedly going cheap. Nathan discovered that as
    > far
    >
    > Ah, I went there today too, bought a few items but was unable to find what I really wanted - a
    > cycling jersey in less than garish colours!

    And I was there too; trying to look through the stuff, but mainly herding a toddler.I bought a
    couple of tops - but my wife did a lot better. There were quite a lot of well-made women's clothing
    on the everything a fiver" rack.

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  10. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    On 03 Apr 2003, you wrote in uk.rec.cycling:

    > Just think, we could have passed each other by and not known (as I wasn't wearing my paving slab
    > fairy celeste tutu).

    Just as well I'd come by car - I wasn't wearing bib-shorts!

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  11. Terry J

    Terry J Guest

    > > >Is that why cyclists wear shades all the time?

    You can now get quite acceptable looking safety glasses from industrial safety shops for quite
    little-2.50 or 6 pounds -which are or are not tinted and stop your eyes running so much and protect
    from stones and beetles. Change them at the merest scratch at that price.

    Terry J

  12. On 30 Mar 2003 18:21:37 GMT, contributor Wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter had scribed:
    > The Unfit family travelled to Cheshunt today as there was a Bike Promotions event with lots of
    > stuff supposedly going cheap. Nathan discovered that as far as his father is concerned, when it
    > comes to bikes, one can never, but never, have too much "stuff".

    Is the same family going to attempt to get to York Cycle Show at the York Cycle Rally which is
    probably the next biggest cycle fest between now and Mildenhall?

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

  13. >Is the same family going to attempt to get to York Cycle Show at the York Cycle Rally which is
    >probably the next biggest cycle fest between now and Mildenhall?

    The Unfit family would love to go to York, but it's the weekend before son & heir has a GCSE exam,
    so we won't be at York.

    Cheers, helen s

  14. On 12 May 2003 12:36:23 GMT, contributor Wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter had scribed:
    > The Unfit family would love to go to York, but it's the weekend before son & heir has a GCSE exam,
    > so we won't be at York.

    Just this one? Unless the exam happens to be on Monday then son and heir could do with a break,
    there must be a limit to the amount last minute revision one can do!

    Gary