New knee pain

Chris Friedmann

Aug 2, 2003
I'm back to riding after a 2 year hiatus...nothing has changed on my bikes, but my knees are killing me, feels like my kneecaps are getting pried off after about an hour in the saddle...never experienced this before....please give me some suggestions...I am new to this forum...I ride both road and mtb...Thanks

Theres stacks of advice on the forum about knee problems. I would say that you've probably come back a little too hard. Try taking it easy for a while, don't climb hills but get long easy runs in. Give your knees time to develop. Your muscles will develop sooner that your tendons and things, so you might be overloading your knees.

Originally posted by Ssushi
Theres stacks of advice on the forum about knee problems. I would say that you've probably come back a little too hard. Try taking it easy for a while, don't climb hills but get long easy runs in. Give your knees time to develop. Your muscles will develop sooner that your tendons and things, so you might be overloading your knees.

I also developed knee problems after 22 years away from the bike. Ilio-tibial problems seem to be what I have (pain on side of knee after steep hill climbs before getting strength built up again after long absences from the bike.)

Right now tho, I have a HORRID muscle pull in the back of my left calf...I didnt do my stretching after cycling yesterday, (had an emergency I had to take care of), and forgot to do it after the emerg was done...was walking up the stairs and WHAM! it hit me.

Look up advice on Glucosomine and chondroitine. I think that is how it is spelt. This is mainly for joints but I know people who swear by it.

Lee

Chris,

Do a google search of "Cyclists Knee". Also the glucosamine and chondroitin work for me as does "Sam-E". They replace NSAIDS in my current life of pain! You better find out what's going on so you don't wreck you knees.

Tim

I developed a knee pain and on investigation (sitting on rollers with someone looking at my pedal stroke) discovered my knee was moving around laterally a lot.

Spoke to a podiatrist as I have a fore foot varus (front of foot is tilted at a funny angle) and use orthotics for running - he suggested an orthotic in the cycling shoe to hold the foot a a "natural" angle which would then not rotate the foot with the cleat and translate into knee / hip pian

Worked like a treat and knee issues cleared up quickly, so if you know you have a "funny" foot from for eg running then look at this as an option

rgds

gavin

I've had to wrestle w/ "bad alignment" due to extremely tight hamstrings and other muscles that pull my knee caps out of alignment. The pull is stressed more when sitting on the bike in an aero position. A stict stretching routine and some position refinements cured me. I also made some adjustments at the foot (footbeds and cants) similar to Gavin there. I also had the lateral movement while pedaling that Gavin did. Probably not your problem but just throwing it out there as one of the problems cyclists can face.

Originally posted by Chris Friedmann
I'm back to riding after a 2 year hiatus...nothing has changed on my bikes, but my knees are killing me, feels like my kneecaps are getting pried off after about an hour in the saddle...never experienced this before....please give me some suggestions...I am new to this forum...I ride both road and mtb...Thanks

Take it easy at first. Warm up and stretch the quads by pulling your foot up to your butt - you know the stretch. Also, try patella stretches. Rest your leg so that your kneecap can be manipulated. With the same hand "slide" the patella to the left side (IN) and pull it up from that side - do same on the opposite side. The fascia and tiny tissues aroud the patella get very tight. I was blown away when I first performed this stretch. My pain vanished and I continue to do this when I experience any discomfort in the patella region. Good Luck. PEACE

Originally posted by HellonWheels
I also developed knee problems after 22 years away from the bike. Ilio-tibial problems seem to be what I have (pain on side of knee after steep hill climbs before getting strength built up again after long absences from the bike.)

Right now tho, I have a HORRID muscle pull in the back of my left calf...I didnt do my stretching after cycling yesterday, (had an emergency I had to take care of), and forgot to do it after the emerg was done...was walking up the stairs and WHAM! it hit me.

I have an ITB issue too - but it's coming along nicely with treatment from a Chiro/Physio (both). It's difficult to stretch - I ended up with a bolster of foam that I put under my thigh (while lying on my side) and using body weight roll up and down on the bolster. Kind of like taking a rolling pin to your thigh! It has worked wonders... In addition I have had great success with ART (active release therapy) to get rid of years of scar tissue/adhesions.

Oh, one more thing that is supposed to help... Vitamin E supplements (ie. and anti-oxidant). This is supposed to, in conjunction with physio be helpful in getting rid of scar tissue...

Originally posted by gw709
I developed a knee pain and on investigation (sitting on rollers with someone looking at my pedal stroke) discovered my knee was moving around laterally a lot.

Spoke to a podiatrist as I have a fore foot varus (front of foot is tilted at a funny angle) and use orthotics for running - he suggested an orthotic in the cycling shoe to hold the foot a a "natural" angle which would then not rotate the foot with the cleat and translate into knee / hip pian

>>>>I have had this problem and noticed how my right knee would move laterally out while pedaling near the 12 o'clock position. I was helped by consciously making an effort to keep the knee in. I think it helped to retrain certain muscles. On forefoot varus, body geometry shoes (no financial interest) makes shoes that has an incline built in to it. Specialized makes them. Ed Burke helped to develop them. I bought a pair and so far it works fine. Additionally, they have an othopedic insert to help with hot spots.

Worked like a treat and knee issues cleared up quickly, so if you know you have a "funny" foot from for eg running then look at this as an option

rgds

gavin