New Knife

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Snowfeet1, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Snowfeet1

    Snowfeet1 Guest

    Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either classic or grand prix? Also
    hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll go for it.

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(Snowfeet1) asks:
    >
    >Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either classic or grand prix? Also
    >hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll go for it.

    Your inability to discern which one indicates you need neither, really.... you just like the way the
    sound of the "santoku" rolls off your tongue, something to impress, eh? Save your money to buy
    better food.

  3. Leo

    Leo Guest

    "Snowfeet1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either
    classic
    > or grand prix? Also hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll
    go
    > for it.

    I have one and use it all the time for dicing or processing vegetables. I also have a similar shaped
    Mac knife that is also a great vegetable knife. The graton edge of the Wustof helps keep what you
    are slicing from clinging to the blade. The Grand Prix is well worth 10$ more. The wide blade is
    also handy when transferring the dice to cooking utensil.

    leo

  4. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    >(PENMART01)
    >Date: 2/4/2004 5:48 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >>(Snowfeet1) asks:
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either classic or grand prix?
    >>Also hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll
    >go
    >>for it.

    Pick the one that feels best in your hand. The "hollow" of which you speak I'm assuming is the
    granton edge, designed to ease the sticking of the cut product to the blade. IME it only works so-
    so. Better on raw or rare meats, not at all on cheese, and doesn't materially affect performance on
    raw vegetables. So it's a wash.

    >Your inability to discern which one indicates you need neither, really.... you just like the way
    >the sound of the "santoku" rolls off your tongue, something to impress, eh? Save your money to buy
    >better food.

    Santoku's an interesting design based on asian (mostly Japanese, IIRC) general purpose knives. The
    benefits of the design can be debated but it takes a fair amount of skill to use the tail of the
    blade for rough chopping, the belly for mincing, and the tip for precision slicing.

    I do own one along with a variety of other general and special purpose knives. I'll reach for the
    Santoku if I'm preparing a meal which doesn't call for much specialized work (like deboning)
    otherwise it pretty much stays in the drawer.

    Best,

    Marc