New Knife

Snowfeet1

Guest
Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either classic or grand prix? Also
hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll go for it.

>(Snowfeet1) asks:
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either classic or grand prix? Also
>hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll go for it.

Your inability to discern which one indicates you need neither, really.... you just like the way the
sound of the "santoku" rolls off your tongue, something to impress, eh? Save your money to buy
better food.

"Snowfeet1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either
classic
> or grand prix? Also hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll
go
> for it.

I have one and use it all the time for dicing or processing vegetables. I also have a similar shaped
Mac knife that is also a great vegetable knife. The graton edge of the Wustof helps keep what you
are slicing from clinging to the blade. The Grand Prix is well worth 10$ more. The wide blade is
also handy when transferring the dice to cooking utensil.

leo

>(PENMART01)
>Date: 2/4/2004 5:48 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>>(Snowfeet1) asks:
>>
>>Does anyone have any recommendations on a Wustof Santoku knife - either classic or grand prix?
>>Also hollow edge - it's $10 more but if it's worth it I'll
>go
>>for it.

Pick the one that feels best in your hand. The "hollow" of which you speak I'm assuming is the
granton edge, designed to ease the sticking of the cut product to the blade. IME it only works so-
so. Better on raw or rare meats, not at all on cheese, and doesn't materially affect performance on
raw vegetables. So it's a wash.

>Your inability to discern which one indicates you need neither, really.... you just like the way
>the sound of the "santoku" rolls off your tongue, something to impress, eh? Save your money to buy
>better food.

Santoku's an interesting design based on asian (mostly Japanese, IIRC) general purpose knives. The
benefits of the design can be debated but it takes a fair amount of skill to use the tail of the
blade for rough chopping, the belly for mincing, and the tip for precision slicing.

I do own one along with a variety of other general and special purpose knives. I'll reach for the
Santoku if I'm preparing a meal which doesn't call for much specialized work (like deboning)
otherwise it pretty much stays in the drawer.

Best,

Marc